One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Buckeye
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had positive experiences with this product in years past. However, last year I purchased ZY Toys 7.62 ammo and had a very negative experience with the supplied metallic links. The links lacked the ductility and proper size necessary to assemble the ammo belts properly thus, relegating most to the trash heap. For those of you that have recently purchased this product have you had any trouble with assembly i.e. metallic links?

Thanks much,
Don Winar

·
Celer et Audax
397 Posts
Echoed......bought two sets, spent about 3 hours to get a right wonky belt of three rounds together until i could do no more as both my hands were torn to ribbons.....never again, not recommended

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
I haven't bought this particular brand, but find this is a problem with metal ammo in general, as other sets I've bought had the same problem. Also, the bullets are way too spaced out, which I think is an inherent problem of scale, and the metal needing to be a certain thickness. I've returned to using plastic ammo belts. With a little paint they can look pretty good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah these suck. I just ran across my sets recently in reorganizing my loose gear. Wish I had recourse to return them. I pondered reselling them, but that would just transfer to frustration to another hobbyist. They don't fit mechanically at all. I even tried WD-40 and still most of the links would break. I found some assembled ones that worked great on my Sideshow Platoon King figure. I also found some reasonably priced MG34 ammo belts that work good (a little bigger than real 7.62 Nam rounds) on another figure. Best of luck, but don't waste your time. Get a refund from the seller if you can.

·
Resident 'NAM nut
2,633 Posts
I've only owned the Dr. Figures metal links and they aren't awful, but they definitely are bit too spaced out due to the actual links. I recently replaced them with the DAM plastic ones. I know Apache26's M60 team had metal ammo links that looks FANTASTIC but I can't remember what brand he said they were.

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
I had success in using a pair of jeweler's pliers instead of fingers and a lot of patience. Some of the links need tightening to make sure the rounds stay in place firmly, and sometimes I had to crimp the "clips" so a round would stay on the belt, but once I did that I got a pretty stable 30 rd. belt. I have it on my "to do" list to do a photo review/how-to of assembling the belts (though my model will almost certainly use 1/6-sized tools for demo purposes, though I think the important bit is pointing out exactly where you need to crimp).

The bigger problem is that I used photo reference to decide exactly how to orient the links onto the rounds, and then found out afterwards that I had done it backwards from how ZY had done it in their promo photos. In the end, I don't think it matters all that much -- the belt functions fine and looks the same from a distance.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,081 Posts
I think the Barrack Sergeant, RMC (if you can find them, predecessor to Barrack Sergeant), and Playkid are great if you can track them down. The Dr. Figures ones are copies of the Dragon metal links, and those go together well, but the links are too big and sometimes a bit loose so the cartridges fall out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts