One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Picked these up a couple of weeks ago, SAMURAI at Half Price Books, and The Day Of Battle by way of the Military Book Club.

The Day Of Battle is volume two of Rick Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy, the story of the US Army in the ETO. Volume one (An Army At Dawn ) detailed the North African campaign, and volume two covers Sicily and Italy. Some of the best historical writing I've encountered in years, Atkinson combines deep research and a gifted storyteller style (I was fortunate to be able to see him speak at a local event, recently). I'm just starting The Day of Battle, and I'm already looking forward to the third book.

__________________________________________________​

Mitsuro Kure's SAMURAI is a large-format book, detailing the arms, armor, and clothing of the Samurai class. Examples of Samurai, Ashigaru, warrrior-monks, officials, ladies, ronin, and police are presented in photographs of live models. Considerable text, line drawings, and photos of components, accompany around fifty subjects.

A few examples -

At $20, it's both an economical reference, and a nicely-rendered bunch of kit-bash inspirations.

·
Requiescat In Pace
7,095 Posts
That plunderer is cool - Blade of the Immortal kinda thing going on there.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, it's why I choose books with lotsa big pictures.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.