One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My modeling goes back to my dad's HO scale trains that I have kept,my man cave was a huge HO scale layout and I used to do a lot of scratch building in that scale,but now I'm getting up in years and the eyes and fingers don't do such fine scale stuff any more, but I still love my trains so I had to have some railroad detail on my diorama, the Germans used their 600MM/ 2 foot narrow gauge trains at all their big forts and on a lot of construction projects,so that is what I am going to ad to my street scene and turret bunker.
The thought of using I beams for track didn't appeal to me at all,so I kept looking online for scale track,I was looking on ebay for something else and found a guy selling a bunch of large scale model trains stuff,the kind people can ride on,the three common scales or gauges,in the US are 1 inch scale, 1 1/2 inch scale and 3 inch scale,the three inch scale is about 1/8th scale,I wish they would use fractional scales like everyone else does it's very confusing, so I wrote the guy on ebay to see if he could direct me to a supplier of rail and he sent me a link to some guys out in the LA area,they have just about everything from rail to complete ride on sets,their one inch scale track comes out to three inches tall in 1/6th scale,which is perfect for narrow gauge track,I have a piece out in the bone yard.
I found another company that makes the wheels I will be using for the Jung locomotive,they are just slightly big,the Jung had 24 inch wheels and these are 26 inches,in 1/6th,but they are mostly hidden by the side frames of the engine so I don't think it will be too critical,the outfit I bought the track from has some really nice machined wheels that are even closer but they are $19 each,I only paid $35 for four of the pressed steel ones.
No one makes rail spikes this small so I will have to make my own,I found that 1/16th welding wire makes a very nice spike and I only need a couple hundred,that will give me something to do in the house when it gets too cold out in my play room.

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
Nice!! But are you sure no one makes rail spikes the size you need? I used to do HO train models too, and they made spikes for that scale.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spitfire, I had a bunch of HO scale spikes from one of the many piles I gathered over the years and they are way to small, maybe if I could find spikes for something like O gauge but so far I haven't been able,not many people spike their track any more.

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
Awesome. Could you cast your own spikes? I realize that is a HUGE undertaking, but I was thinking along the lines of the old lead soldiers. I imagine you could pre-drill the holes instead of driving them.
I know, easier said than done.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gubernator,the rock in the back isn't set up like it will be,I laid it out to see if I had enough for my building foundations that are going along that wall,see my other post about 1/6th stone work. 1/6th scale stone work
Pontiacvan, After Spitfire asked about spikes I got looking on ebay,all that is listed right now are HO scale which are too small,but I went onto google and did some searching and found that O scale spikes will be perfect,plus I found a company that still makes them, so each tie will be get 4 spikes!

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
Gubernator,the rock in the back isn't set up like it will be,I laid it out to see if I had enough for my building foundations that are going along that wall,see my other post about 1/6th stone work. 1/6th scale stone work
Pontiacvan, After Spitfire asked about spikes I got looking on ebay,all that is listed right now are HO scale which are too small,but I went onto google and did some searching and found that O scale spikes will be perfect,plus I found a company that still makes them, so each tie will be get 4 spikes!
Sweet! It's always nice when the stuff you want turns up. Gotta love the web!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to mention that the rail will all be painted rust brown then the top of the rail will get lightly sanded to make it look like weathered steel. The rail will actually be the easy part,the little loco is going to have to be scratched built from sheet styrene and it's about 12 inches long!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ActionMan, I visit their site on a regular basis! They are a large part of the reason I got started in this scale! It's hard to believe he actually built that engine from scratch,I've seen professionally done stuff that wasn't that good,very inspirational!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts