One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first showed this figure as a work in progress close to two years ago. He was started as a reaction to the number of Great War memorials I found on holiday. The area we go to regularly is the southerly most tip of Scotland, called Wigtonshire. It's most famous for being where the 'Wicker Man' was filmed and for being the place where the Mulberry Harbour used by the Allies during DDay was built and tested. My wife's family have roots there going back generations. It's a very rural, agricultural part of Scotland with small villages and hamlets scattered over a wide area. No matter how small the village, there is a memorial to the dead of WW1 in each one.Many of the names of the dead are the same as the names of the families that are still there. What's sobering is the number of names from the same families that are on these monuments. I know people had much larger families back then but to lose eight or nine (in one case) sons plus the father from one family must have been beyond devastating. The church in the village of the Isle of Whithorn has a roll of honour of the dead from the village and the surrounding farms and villages. The dead are listed in families, in order of age. The lists are long. It's a contentious fact that more men died from Scots or Irish regiments than any other of the BEF during WW1.
I had hoped to complete this figure at the time as it was the 90th anniversary of the Somme. I also wanted to pay tribute to the Scots regiments whose initials and abbreviations can be found on these monuments. Names such as KOSB, HLI, S'FORTHS, QOCH, etc which had disappeared shortly before in the amalgamation into the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

The figure depicted is a lance corporal, regimental signaller, of the 2nd Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, the Duke of Albany's), 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Division, BEF France, 1918.
He wears the 1908 pattern webbing 'field service marching order' (FSMO) which by then included the small box respirator, steel helmet and other small items. His tartan is MacKenzie as is the patch on his Tam o' Shanter (TOS) and shoulder patches. He bears the chevrons of his appointment, good conduct and overseas service. Three gold wound stripes, signaller's crossed flags and the green patch of the 10th Brigade. His kilt apron is atop his back pack and he has altered his respirator from being slung over his back to the 'ready' position.

His webbing, pouches, backpack, messtin and cover and TOS are all scratchbuilt. Tony Barton's '08 webbing tutorial at OSS was followed dilligently in order to create it all.
All his other equipment is from either the Sideshow Lewis Gunner or Black Watch infantryman.

The figure is a DML German with a facial repaint. I also cut his forearms off and replaced them with Sideshow forearms and hands.

His Mk3* is the BBi version. The Sideshow bayonet fits snugly over the lug at the end.

His jacket, kilt and cover come from the Sideshow Black Watch infantryman. I replaced the buttons with real metal ones although I think I have one too many buttons there. Although not visible, I made shoulder tags using letters from Slater's Plasticard. I had to reduce the SEAFORTH down to SFORTH as there was no way all eight letters were going to fit on his epaulatte. It actually looks O.K

The different lengths and widths of cotton tape required for the webbing were supplied by Tony as was the cap badge. The buckles and end tabs come from Richie Elbourne. Hats off to them for their resourcefulness.

I'm pleased he's finished and I'm pleased with the result. We're off to Wigtonshire again this Thursday so I'm glad I've been able to make this tribute before we head back.

Hope you like him. All comments, as always are welcome.

Andy

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,338 Posts
Incredible. Excellent work. I see a nomination for KBOTM on the hoizon.

Many of the Commonwealth/Canadian soldiers were equiped in the same gear and manner. WWI was a sobering piont in the history of those nations as well, for exactly the same reasons. I can speak of the accuracy of the gear and look because I have seen, and worn period accurate uniforms from the time.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your kind comments.
Darklord, the TOS is scratchbuilt using material from a baby's bodysuit!

Andy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.