One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this today considering the date.
Another commission for my moustache- loving customer. This time a Poilu from the battle of Verdun. Poilu is a warmly informal term for a French World War I infantryman, meaning, literally, hairy one. The term came into popular usage in France during the era of Napoleon Bonaparte and his massive citizen armies, though the term grognard (grumbler) was also common. It was still widely used as a term of endearment for the French infantry of World War I.

The word carries the twin sense of the infantryman's typically rustic, agricultural background, and the suggestion of Gallic manliness. Beards and bushy moustaches were often worn
By 1916, the French had abandoned their dark blue coats and red trousers for this uniform which compared to other countries still didn't offer much in the way of camouflage. This figure represents an infantryman at the time of the Battle of Verdun in 1916. One of the costliest battles of the war, Verdun exemplified the policy of a 'war of attrition' pursued by both sides, which led to an enormous loss of life.

The basis for the figure is the Sideshow WW1 French Infantryman. Most of the other bits such as his backpack, gas mask canister and wire cutter holder are scratchbuilt. In case you were wondering, the contraption on his backpack is a collapsible canvas water bucket.
Hope you like him.
All comments welcome.
Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
423 Posts
Beautiful work as always Andy. I really love the collapsable water bucket and all the doo-dads on the backpack. Nice job on the wire cutter holder too. What really makes your figures stand out though is the superb weathering which gives them such an authentic look. This guy looks like he just came off the battlefield. Incredible! Keep it up. I look forward to your next piece of art.

·
Unabashed 5.11 Junky
3,866 Posts
artyandy said:
...In case you were wondering, the contraption on his backpack is a collapsible canvas water bucket.
Hope you like him.
All comments welcome.
Cheers
Andy
A fantastic figure! And I for one was wondering what the contraption was. Thanks for the preemptive answer.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for commenting. The good thing about doing WW1 figures is that you can throw on loads of weathering to hide all the stray globs of glue, etc!
My interest in WW1 goes back to High School History lessons. I don't really remember seeing pictures of the various combatants back then so it's good to be able to put faces to the names as it were.

Andy

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks John but my inspiration for this and several other Poilus has come from seeing your French Verdun infantryman at 'The Trenches'. I love how you scratchbuilt his large cooking pot to go on his backpack. I even had the Italian grenade pack to convert to the French one you used but ran out of time to make it.
Thanks for taking the time to look at my work.

Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts