1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hallo!

Chirp, chirp, chirp.

Sadly, the sound of crickets chirping.

:( :(

Personally, I have all but given up and have gone to harvesting loose parts from the few recently/previously done, and expanding the kitbash potential with Tony Barton heads and Battle Great Toys supplements in large doses.

Sadly... Im Westen nichts Neues (aka All Quiet on the Western Front).

And.. waiting.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hallo!

Chirp, chirp, chirp.

Sadly, the sound of crickets chirping.

:( :(

Personally, I have all but given up and have gone to harvesting loose parts from the few recently/previously done, and expanding the kitbash potential with Tony Barton heads and Battle Great Toys supplements in large doses.

Sadly... Im Westen nichts Neues (aka All Quiet on the Western Front).

And.. waiting.
Same here.
Considering 6 WW1 figures have been released in the past two years, we could think ourselves lucky.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hi,

Its Strange that we have just had the 100th Anniversary of the First World War and have not seen a single release? Theres a lot of potential to make some great Figures from the period. I would Love to see , for example a German Maxim MG team and perhaps a Brit Tank crewman, ANZAC soldier from Gallipoli campaign etc etc.

Its kind of odd to me how the manufacturers sort of miss the goal posts, for example we are just seeing the release of the DiD Private Ryan 70 th anniversary of D- Day figure and were in August? The landings took place in June? Personally I was a little underwhelmed by the lack of releases but i do of course realise these figure takes time and money to develop.

And Yes i know I can dream. Im not whining, its just wishful thinking and anything is possible.

Cheers,

Stu

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Just throwin' this out there.....

Maybe it's because the manufacturers think that WWI figures will not sell well? Much like the ACW.....don't see too many figures from that conflict; Revolutionary Wars, not many figures, Korean War, not many figures, etc, etc, etc. True, when they do release these types of figures, they sell like hotcakes, but they are usually released in very limited quantities..... there's a difference between selling out a figure with a 300 production quantity, as opposed to selling out a figure with a 20,000 production quantity....:think

There has got to be a reason (likely several reasons) why they don't make certain figures, and I've got to think that profitability (or lack of) figures into the equation. After all, they don't make the figures solely for our pleasures and whims.....they do it for profit.

WWII has a "coolness" factor to it, so it seems to be the most popular; modern war figures are still in the public conscience, so they seem to sell well.

I too would like to see the release of figures to commemorate special anniversaries, etc, but......:dunno

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hallo!

C"mon Hanks and Spielberg... where's that third remake of "All Quiet on the Western Front?"

I guess we will always be the victims of Supply and Demand economics... meaning, the demand for the latest Iron Man figure beats the Gallipoli Anzac, etc., hands down.

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
There are lots of great WW1 subjects for these 1/6th manufacturers to choose from but

I'm afraid they're not/ will not do any of it unless they can make crazy money! Just saying...

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts
Would anyone pay the crazy prices for WWI figures ?
WWI figures would not be cheaper than modern figures.
WWI happened 100 years ago. (1914, U.S. entering in 1918). Hardly any equipment on the figures, weird uniforms, cool helmets and hats.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Uh, the U.S. entered WWI on April 6, 1917, (until it ended, on November 11, 1918).......with tons of equipment......

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
This is a question I've asked myself - CalTek made a fantastic work on their early war German (one which I really want more of), but then they kind of slipped back into silence.

That we haven't seen more is quite surprising - there were a lot of nationalities involved which would call for a lot of different uniforms and equipment which would be real eye-catchers. But:

China was not involved. That might be part of the problem; they have a natural tendency to cater to their largest consumer base (the Chinese, duh) and the Chinese aren't any different in that they are more interested in their own history than anyone elses.

So, no. I guess that if we do want other nationalities from WWI, we have to make them ourselves.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think the fact that China was involved in WWII has anything to do with it really. Like someone said above WWII has a sort of "cool" factor, and the titans of the 20th century that most people know: Hitler, Churchill, Stalin,FDR, Patton etc.,etc. Besides all that, Germans seem to be the most popularly produced. They're aesthetically pleasing to the eye and people seem to have an infinite fascination with the Wehrmacht. Having said that, I'd also like to see more WWI.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Kirt I have read that there is a 3rd remake of All Quiet on the Western Front in post production. It is said to also star "Harry Potter" as Paul. From what I remember, it will be produced by Sliding down Rainbows.

Brent

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Hey Kirt I have read that there is a 3rd remake of All Quiet on the Western Front in post production. It is said to also star "Harry Potter" as Paul. From what I remember, it will be produced by Sliding down Rainbows.

Brent
I heard about that remake, and it made me shiver. The best All Quiet done is the 1979 version with Ernest Borgnine (who unfortunately is way too old for the role of Kat) and (again, unfortunately) that Thomas guy who has the charisma of a sack of potatoes. And the remake... Well, I have a nagging feeling the new remake will be a total destruction of Remarque's masterpiece, but hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hallo!

I will try to track it down, for more info....thanks.

A minor Trivia side discussion.... The other day the "new" release from TCM arrived that includes the silent movie version of "All Quiet" with added synchronized sound with 152 minutes. When the U.S. release was redone later in 1930 in true sound and was cut down to IIRC 145 minutes.

Various redoings were done, each time snipping stuff... the final remastered version is only 133 minutes.

A similar thing happened with the 1979 remake. The only full length version I ever saw was the late night TV version. For some reason, when it went to VHS tape it was shortened, and then again shortened for some unknown reason when it came out on DVD.

The are partisans of both versions who hate one or the other for a variety of reasons ranging from great kit in 1930 (said to be surplus) but overdone 1930's acting and black eye makeup to crappy kit but color in 1979.

Some hopes were high that Hanks and Spielberg would do it again, but to.. although not perfect, the uniform, kit, and CGG FX effects of 'Saving Private Ryan" or "The Pacific."

IMHO, and biases, WWI can be much like WWII in the range and diversity of say even just German soldiers. But most lads do not know it as they are not familiar with the era as much as they are with WWII.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
China was not involved. That might be part of the problem; they have a natural tendency to cater to their largest consumer base (the Chinese, duh) and the Chinese aren't any different in that they are more interested in their own history than anyone elses
Really? I'm not buyin' it.....

China was in WWII, but I see no (ok, maybe 2) WWII Chinese figures being made......they seem to be totally happy to produce Germans, Brits, Russians and Americans for WWII......

Besides, they don't do these figures on their own for the hell of it...they have companies coming to them with orders to produce figures.....it's those companies that we should be pissed with, not the Chinese.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.