One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Business Dog Workshop
127 Posts
I was just looking at that this morning!

I passed out a little when I looked at the price tag. I'm considering selling a custom figure soon, and I feel bad enough asking for even $300 for it (it cost $250 to make).

Recently on eBay I watched a Kai "The Last Of Us" Joel custom go for $1,000. But that was probably due to a bidding war gone crazy lol

But that's insane. I'm only new to this hobby (about 8-9 months collecting/reading up on 1:6 goodness), but are these kinds of prices common/normal for quality custom figures like this? (Beyond the triple digit prices)

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
This just wishful thinking. The background info is that this is a one-of-a-kind fig made by Rainman for a client. Ive read that RM one off commissions run around $6K. Yet this guy wants 3K+ profit on the fig!! this is just crazy!!!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If I remember correstly, this figure caused a lot of bad blood over at SSF. It seems RM doesn't re-visit figures he has done as 1-off customs and there was a campaign to get him to do David as a full run (30 figures or so)-lower cost, more availability. And this guy short-circuited that by going to Rainman directly and commisioning a 1-off figure. Lots of very unhappy campers for quite some time over the issue.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,917 Posts
In a private discussion group, there has been some active discussion as of late about "custom" "OOAK" 1:6 figures posted for sale on eBay.

Granted, there are some exceptional custom figures on eBay every now and then, but the majority of the figures posted for sale are bluntly speaking . . . @ $ $ that is not worth the asking price.

It seems as if there are some sellers emboldened by previous auctions that actually sold where a bidder supposedly paid an outrageous amount for a figure that quite frankly some within this very forum can do a much better job on.

I don't follow the variety of custom OOAK projects at the Sideshow Freaks Forum for a variety of reasons due to many being burned over the years by a variety of scumbag sculptors taking the $ and run. I do know some projects are successful resulting in happy collectors who got the custom figure of a character they truly want.

After all these years, we're still critical & judgmental regardng the sale of OOAK figures resulting in ludicrous prices. Even on those that are truly exceptional & superb and those that suck @ $ $ in terms of effort.

I remember one of the early first custom figures posted in this very forum about 10 years ago IIRC. It was a custom of Selene from UNDERWORLD. The customizer who was an active member of this forum back then was praised for such a superb figure.

Afterwards, he posted the figure on eBay and it sold for a significant amount of $ at the time (around $300.00 or so IIRC). After the figure sold, then members of this very forum criticized the customer by stating it was not worth the selling price and how the price didn't justify the caliber/quality of the figure. I believe some will remember that. As for the customizer/member, WELL . . . that's another story many of us already know.

It's a very fickle market for such let alone such discussions. In the private group I participate in, we do occasionally discuss and criticize such auctions on occasion given the focus niche of the group.

From time to time the thought of posting such an auction here comes to mind, but then again why bother when the end result is negativity and God forbid the seller happens to be a member here? Do we really need/want the negativity & ridicule even though it'll be for a good laugh just to placate the lynch mob mentality? I don't think so.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Hell no.

·
IS HE LIVE OR IS HE DEAD?
2,599 Posts
Plus $200 for shipping?
For less than that you can probably get a personal meet and greet with Kiefer himself.

·
Registered
481 Posts
id pay that if it included corey feldman and corey haim to complete the lost boys playset, but seriously i thought that was one of the most overrated 80's movies ever, i would pay 30 dollars for that

·
cablecommandercustoms
1,325 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the seller listing his figure for that much, that's just what the seller perceives the figure to be worth to him!

Now, with that said, I'm not interested in this figure so I wouldn't bid on it for any amount.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,917 Posts
one last thing, does it really matter if the seller is asking for $9000 for "his" figure? Does it really hurt anyone on this board?
--

The bottom line is no, it doesn't.

HOWEVER, given everyone's stance on the subject . . . it will not stop anyone from chiming in about how "materialistic" so to speak the hobby can be at times for those who understand it and for those who don't/don't know any better than can make a mockery of the hobby or make it worse depending on one's perspective.

Then again, maybe it's just pettiness due to $.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts