One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

A recent discussion about learning to set up MOLLE vests as well as occasional discussions of about customizing/kit bashing got me thinking.

Many of us did it the old fashioned way when it comes up fully and properly setting up the newest 1:6 military figures with pouches, accessories, weapons, etc. by carefully going through all the many components that comes in a boxed figure.

Back in the day, the complexity and amount of time it took to fully load out a figure wasn't quite time consuming as it is today due to fewer accessories, bits and pieces, etc.

We all know when we buy the newest 1:6 boxed figure covering WW II, Vietnam, Modern, etc. will require patience and skills and in most cases there is not step-by-step instructions asides from the photos on the box and insight provided by members who know how to do it, etc.

Considering the typical MSRP of boxed figure we buy, do any of us believe that a 1:6 vendor could possibly be inclined to offer completing setting up a new purchased 1:6 boxed figure as a paid service to buyers? Such a service would address those with the want for "instant gratification" within reason.

Would such a service be justified/needed/wanted today within the 1:6 hobby? I know such a service would then negate the in hand experience and enjoyment for those who want to assemble/kit out their figures in a default configuration or customize it further.

1:6 food for thought?

·
Brit Basher
2,509 Posts
I personally wouldn't enjoy that. As much as I love my Hot Toys movie figures, too often I open the box and they're pretty much assembled minus a weapon or something. For me, part of the fun of the hobby is the assembly - as tedious as it can be at times. I still don't think I'd pay more for an assembled figure though.

I would however massively appreciate some basic form of instruction guide. I think it really is the least they could do. There have been times, especially with some of the Russian figures - of which I have precisely 0 knowledge of the 1:1 subject matter - where I have been royally stuck as to what to do. It wouldn't be too hard to include some step-by-steps for the more complicated pieces I don't think.

I can appreciate the reasons why some would wish to pay for such a figure though. But I wouldn't be among them! I'd also fear such a process would lead to 'permanently-dressed' figures the way Hot Toys have. To me, the 1:6 hobby is all about customisation and the ability to 'dress' and 'undress' our figures. Going back to Hot Toys (sorry!), I always dislike when I get notices saying "do not attempt to remove _____ as you will break the items" as it just feels wrong for this hobby. Part of why I love it over traditional model figures is the fact you can adjust, dress, undress, customise etc. to your heart's content. To make pre-assembled figures a bit easier I'd imagine this kind of practice would work its way into the figures.

I guess you could say I'm conflicted on this subject!

·
Registered
595 Posts
My hands are large and not particularly deft, so setting up these figures can be a source of frustration and more than once I've damaged something.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I generally find the setting up to be a fun part of the overall creative aspects of owning 1/6 figures. I'd probably just buy statues if I minded setting up figures & displays, just my opinion.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
These kinds of modern military figures are not my usual fare for collecting, but I have acquired a few that I really liked. Putting everything in place might have been fun, IF there were good clear images of where everything should end up provided (or possibly even instructions) and if some of these tiny almost fully functional straps and buckles etc were easier to work. As it is, it can be such a pain, that I do wish they were put together before being shipped to the consumer. We do pay hefty prices for them as it is. By the way, some of this applies also to the less overloaded premodern figures. Even the seemingly straightforward metal "nails" intended to keep together a muscle cuirass are sometimes all but impossible to get in place correctly.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I would however massively appreciate some basic form of instruction guide. I think it really is the least they could do. There have been times, especially with some of the Russian figures - of which I have precisely 0 knowledge of the 1:1 subject matter - where I have been royally stuck as to what to do. It wouldn't be too hard to include some step-by-steps for the more complicated pieces I don't think.
Very true and something I wish more of the brands would pay attention to. There is a presumption that everyone who may be interested in buying the product knows what to do, but some basic instructions like Hot Toys often provides with their figures would go a long way to making the hobby more accessible for newcomers. There have been some occasions when brands have done this but really it should be a standard thing they include with every release. As an example things like removing the barrel on a particular rifle to actually be able to install the accessories is not something that is intuitive for the inexperienced who are probably more concerned with breaking the thing. An assembly guide with a QR code to a brands youtube page with some basic assembly tips would be a good way for them to broaden their consumer base.

As far as offering a service to assemble, I could see it being desired by those new to a subject or the hobby in general, but it is one of those things that would be difficult for a retailer to offer given the time involved and inconsistent nature of the labor requests. We are down to the point in this hobby where some retailers are having a brand simply ship them parts to cut down on their labor overhead.

·
Warning: Choking Hazard !
1,387 Posts
Well...I wouldn't mind kitting up a boxed figure for anyone who is willing to pay for it - the only problem would be that it would only be for local folks. It would be a PITA to offer services like that internationally.

Physical 1/6 stores could probably consider that service if they had sufficient time/manpower or I imagine, kit up a new boxed figure and put it on display for sale.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Kitting up military figures in advance would make them probably 25% expensive.
E.g. (worst case) a Soldier Story military figure with molle pouches, not properly fitting attachments to the gun, a helmet with stickers and none predrilled holes in ears for earphones might take me 4hrs. Also think about fragile headsets!

Like @apotheosis said, only local. Shipping would break the figure.

By the way, putting a figure together is the most fun to me in this hobby.

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
682 Posts
I don't mind putting it together myself but I would appreciate some directions. When I was a kid I liked working it out for myself. These days I want step by step instructions.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
The model train hobby went through this some time ago.....it went from all un-assembled kits of locomotives and rolling stock, to almost all pre-painted and assembled units......seems that folks don't mind paying extra to have a ready-to-run right of the the box locomotive or boxcar.....

However, in that hobby, there are still tons of un-built kits that you can find at swap meets and train shows, and there are still a great number of hobbyists who love to build kits....

I personally like both....they do such a nice job of painting, lettering and building the cars now, but building a kit is fun, and you can do custom decorating if you can't find a pre-built kit for the model you want....

Of course, there's a big difference between the 1:6 figure hobby and model trains, but it's an example of a hobby that totally flipped as far as end product goes....

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts
Honestly no, because I like choices, and there's a certain fun in bashing a figure, that you dont get if it's fully built. i also feel like companies cant be trusted to not cut corners on details if they were to pre assemble figures, or make odd choices like having gear that cannot be taken apart. see, what if i dont like pouch setup? what if i think one pouch looks better in another spot? i think in the end it'd cost way more, and end up a lose lose situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a newcomer, I would definitely appreciate a basic instruction manual. As it stands, I'm practicing via a largely trial-and-error approach on a loose MOLLE before I crack open some of the boxed figures I own.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I am the odd man out on this. The entire figure doesn't have to be put together, but I don't have time to put all those pouches on the vest. I would love it if the vest came with all the pouches attached. Simply don't have the time not patience to put them on. For me it is no fun at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts