One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Let's head into an all sixth scale week, starting out with a figure I've been waiting for a long time - Hot Toys BvS Wonder Woman! While the Training version is probably going to be my favorite portrait, there's a tremendous amount about this figure to love. You can find my review here:

Review and photos of Wonder Woman Batman V Superman sixth scale action figure

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

Captain Toy, Michael Crawford's Action Figure and Toy Reviews

Thanks for reading!

Michael

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
I disagree with Michael's review.

IMHO . . . he was too generous with the ratings in his review.

Here is mine.

Packaging | *** (Same as his.)

Sculpting | ***

Paint | ***

Articulation | ** 1/2

Accessories | ***

Outfit | ** 1/2

Fun Factor | ** 1/2

Value | ** 1/2 (Same as his.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Articulation, buyer is going to have to decide if it's enough for you to be able to use it and not have the joint, or if you're okay with the joints and need more range. I would rather prefer this version, because what killed it for me with Harley Quinn was the ugly knee joint. I easily give this body a 3 star, maybe even 3.5. Pretty darn close to Phicen for a first attempt by HT.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've always enjoyed your reviews, I find your assessment spot on, and in more than one occasion your assessment of 1/6 figures have swayed me towards a purchase. Thanks as always for your unbiased thoughts, looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for us.

BOBBY

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Seriously tempted to buy this just from the reviews and the great photography. I still can't help imagining the wonderful poses I could have put her in if she had a TBL body. MAY just get this anyways. Just hope HT gives us a killer man of Steel in black,

·
Registered
345 Posts
Probably one of the first and only times I completely disagree with Michael.

I have this figure and it's one of the worst figure ever produced by HT. Everything looks cheap about it. Except the price, of course. I bought it because I wanted to complete my trinity, but other than than, stay away from that POS.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
You make her look so good,

It just goes to show how important photography can be when it comes to making figures look good. It's something I tend not to bother with, as, by the time I get round to things, the pros have usually done their job anyway and I can't afford all the classy gear. You just get what I see and that's that.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
5,657 Posts

It’s a well-written and grounded review, but yeah, I suspect it’s over-generous, though I’ve avoided having this figure in hand because I like the character, like the sculpt, and I don’t want to be tempted. But I think this is a bit of an “outlier” review on some aspects. It’s probably swayed by being favourably inclined to WW and/or Gal Gadot (I can understand that).

When this review itself fully concedes that it’s “While the body is a little restricted,” there’s no way it should be awarding 3 stars for Articulation, that’s just openly illogical. Most other reviewers fault her articulation significantly.

And I’d probably have no major disagreement with Michael on the other categories but it’s just disproportionate that at the same price as the amazing Dr Strange who has a way more complex outfit, somehow she nets out within half a star of difference in Value. IMHO that’s just (unconsciously) a gift going to WW or Gadot that the actual Hot Toys figure doesn’t quite deserve.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The usual thing to do with a Wonder Woman figure is to pose her with Batman and Superman. I'd actually like to see her posed with TBL's Sparta Warrior and Captain Sparta...

·
Evo-One
336 Posts
Appearance wise it appears to be a really nice figure, but the reviews on the articulation are just two damaging. And for those who plan on swapping her out for a TBL body you're going to have a very steep uphill battle to create the Wonder Woman you want.

First of all, there is no skin color on any of the current or past Phicen or TBL bodies that will come close to matching that head.

Secondly, if you even find a bod that comes close, you're going to have to mod the hell out of the outfit in order to get a decent fit.

I'll wait, save my money, and see what the Justice League version looks like when it comes out.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Thanks for the links, Rogerbee.
I thought the review was pretty good, although it did strike me how unusually positive it was about a figure that has been decried so much (admittedly, some of that was even before it was released). Michael was factually wrong in one point: covering the joints does not always result in less articulation, as the Phicens have proven time and again. But apparently it made a big difference here.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
There's this one also CUSTOM HOT TOYS Phicen Batman V Superman Wonder Woman Figure MMS359 - YouTube and unlike the YouTuber above, this one gets to the point in less than the time of the actual Wonder Woman movie :)

It's not even like she's wearing some kind of costume that would necessarily limit articulation. But it's the fatal combo of HT needing to go seamless, and then feeling compelled to do something different than what P/TBL does. So they re-invented a not-very-good wheel. Not that HT would ever do this, but if HT had subcontracted the body to P/TBL and still contributed HT accessories, which are generally better than P/TBL's, and a HT head sculpt which is generally much better than P/TBL, it would have been one of the best figures ever. Meaning that, it can be done.

Thankfully there's a JL version coming, and we already know WW's actual costume can't change that much. If the poor articulation of this one hurts sales they'll get her right the second time around. If it doesn't they'll still upgrade the JL version to get people to buy both.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
There's this one also CUSTOM HOT TOYS Phicen Batman V Superman Wonder Woman Figure MMS359 - YouTube and unlike the YouTuber above, this one gets to the point in less than the time of the actual Wonder Woman movie :)

It's not even like she's wearing some kind of costume that would necessarily limit articulation. But it's the fatal combo of HT needing to go seamless, and then feeling compelled to do something different than what P/TBL does. So they re-invented a not-very-good wheel. Not that HT would ever do this, but if HT had subcontracted the body to P/TBL and still contributed HT accessories, which are generally better than P/TBL's, and a HT head sculpt which is generally much better than P/TBL, it would have been one of the best figures ever. Meaning that, it can be done.

Thankfully there's a JL version coming, and we already know WW's actual costume can't change that much. If the poor articulation of this one hurts sales they'll get her right the second time around. If it doesn't they'll still upgrade the JL version to get people to buy both.
I did see that video and it was inconclusive to me, and you didn't see close ups so you couldn't tell what mods were done to it. The other guy was honest about what he did.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
968 Posts
MC's review is very generous and I wonder if he will give a post review later on (once figure has been in his hands for several months) for comparative reasons. I also upon first de-boxing thought very highly of it (in fact, I was claiming it to be the best female HT ever produced). I still think highly of it, but now I'm experiencing some minor wear n tear issues and articulation (except at elbows) is closer to a 2 star rating!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Given the ridiculously high cost of the figure, they could have just bought Phicen bodies and used those instead of designing their own. Or maybe I am just being naive.
I agree with you. In the past when I brought this topic up everyone said that it couldn't happen because the 2 companies are competitors. But haven't other companies merged with Phicen/TBL before on products? And you're absolutely correct. The Phicen body with sculpt and outfit by HTS would make WW one of the best mass produced figures in history. Try pitching this idea to SSF (if you're willing to receive the outburst of protest), maybe the folks at HTs read those threads to get feedback.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
I am not a member of SSF. There might be financial reasons for Hot Toys not to use a Phicen/TBL body, but again this seems to sell for about $330 so should have been an option. Now we get the dilemma -- slightly poseable tan statue vs super poseable custom with mismatched head and body skintones... a dilemma that stiffened my resistance to shelling out the cash.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Using P/TBL bodies on their products has been a feasible option for smaller companies focusing on gear, or a specific headsculpt. But a company that needs to be at the overall top spot, world leader, isn't going to concede a major aspect is better done by a competitor.

It's arguable the reason HT WW's articulation is so bad is that HT specifically went out of their way to make something arbitrarily different from a P/TBL body. And if HT isn't motivated by ego but by "branding," for marketing purposes they may not be wrong. The "Hot Toys is above all others" cachet arguably lets them mark up their products 10-15% extra.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts