One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've attempted to correct and improve on my doughboy's M1917 trench knife with the addtion of a real wooden grip and correction of the pyramid-shaped knuckles on the hand guard. On the stock knife from DiD these pyramids were far underscale. I used photos of real knives to simply scale them to the 1/6-scale knife handle (each pyramid base is now approximately 3 mm on a side).

I made a template for the wooden grip using a scaled-down photo of the real article and carefully cut it out with my scroll saw. Final shape was accomplished with sanding. Finally I stained the wooden grip a dark walnut as this was the wood used in the construction of these knives.

From the scabbard, I removed the molded on detail (too small and too indistinct) and replaced it with scale details. I also repainted the scabbard "leather" portions with an olive green which is the correct color for this item. I did note when examining photos of these scabbards that the green did tend to vary from olive to a darker green tending towards what I would call a pine or forest green. Perhaps that's just normal variation among manufacturers or the effects of aging and use or perhaps the photo lighting is not giving the true color.

It's not completely evident in my photos but I re-worked the hanger portion of the scabbard extensively to make it more correct. It's delicate but so far has withstood the normal rigors of handling.

I welcome any feedback or criticism and otherwise hope you enjoy.
 

Attachments

·
Say what?
Joined
·
9,400 Posts
Re: WIP AEF Doughboy "Buck Jones" Update with improved M1917 trench knife

Man, that turned out mighty nice.

Love the handle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Re: WIP AEF Doughboy "Buck Jones" Update with improved M1917 trench knife

One more photo of my doughboy's web gear and kit that I've updated so far...

I'm showing the kit I've completed (or nearly so) to this point including his M1903 Springfield Rifle. I had to strip it down in order to mill the finger grasp groove in the stock as well as correct a few other details of the basic item as offered by DiD. I stained the wood rifle a dark walnut (what else as that wood must have been in abundant supply and relatively inexpensive in that era) and as far as I know the Springfields were never constructed using any other wood.

The web belt featured pouches that closed with velcro. I removed the velcro as its bulkiness hurt the scale appearance. I put a couple of stripper clips in each pouch (actually used Kar98 ammo as it is almost the same size as the '06 ammo plus I have about 1 gazillion of them) and then closed the pouches using fusible fabric tape cut to fit.

One other thing I did was to dye the canteen pouch and the bandage pouch. They were both originally the same khaki color as the web belt. I always try to bring some visual interest (as well as a touch of uniqueness) to my figures by using alternative (but historically accurate) colors where possible.

I forgot to add that I did make both ends of the belt clasp as those on the stock piece were overscale. Easy thing to do with some brass rod bent to shape and then a little bit of soldering.
 

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top