One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
The thing about DML, their 1:6 department was not the company's prime driver. They had their days of glory, and some determined people there managed to get some great stuff done. Their weapons were the leaders in their day, and still remain as examples of fine detail, if not all about function. As for love and hate, that ran both ways, between hobbyists and the company. There was some darkness, but what remains shows how well they did, and and much farther they might have ventured.

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
They are still the basis of all my WW2 collections , since they did the best range of uniforms, and were ( and still are if you search ) always available.
For the heads, I always preferred to make my own( though as this thread shows, when repainted their heads are very good) but the bodies are still the best cheap body.The chests are a bit deep, but otherwise when clothed they resemble real bodies far better than the muscle marys that other manufacturers have become obsessed with .
They also never went for the pin-and- ball ankle, a design disaster if you want a figure to stand up reliably, but stayed with the solid ankle with a simple pivot, perfectly adequate for all but the most extreme poses.
Nearly all my collection are Dragon bodies, some of them modified for height and depth, and they are cheap enough to submit to surgery.
Sure, they did some odd things, and had a very totalitarian attitude to customers, but without them there would not really be a 1/6th hobby.

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
They are still the basis of all my WW2 collections , since they did the best range of uniforms, and were ( and still are if you search ) always available.
For the heads, I always preferred to make my own( though as this thread shows, when repainted their heads are very good) but the bodies are still the best cheap body.The chests are a bit deep, but otherwise when clothed they resemble real bodies far better than the muscle marys that other manufacturers have become obsessed with .
They also never went for the pin-and- ball ankle, a design disaster if you want a figure to stand up reliably, but stayed with the solid ankle with a simple pivot, perfectly adequate for all but the most extreme poses.
Nearly all my collection are Dragon bodies, some of them modified for height and depth, and they are cheap enough to submit to surgery.
Sure, they did some odd things, and had a very totalitarian attitude to customers, but without them there would not really be a 1/6th hobby.
Excellent analysis and commentaries of the Dragon bodies and I couldn't agree more, thanks! :thumb

·
WWII Guy
1,418 Posts
I just had to add to this post. I may even add from a folder of Boot25's head paints.
These range from 2005-present so your gonna get the range as the techniques were developed and honed to today's standards.

Cya,
Hankster

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
I just had to add to this post. I may even add from a folder of Boot25's head paints.
These range from 2005-present so your gonna get the range as the techniques were developed and honed to today's standards.

Cya,
Hankster
Nice job on all of them, Hankster! :thumb

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
They are still unsurpased in terms of quantity, the subject they made and the gear.... From kettenkrads to mines, to US howitzers, from Shermans to some French /Italian soldiers...

Yes, today Did May be better in terms of clothing /fitting, but DML had by far the broadest line of any manufacturer

·
WWII Guy
1,418 Posts
This is one of DML's very, very early headsculpts, one of the first 40 or so figures that DML produced...

70021 - Sgt. Dave Kowalski 1st Infantry Division, 'The Big Red One', Normandy 1944. Headsculpt number 37!

The ones we all like to think of as being very basic with head sculpts that are not up to todays standards in sculpting..... and yet, with the original paint stripped and a good repaint it's as good as anything you're likely see anywhere else...

Pete

Being one of the "older" collectors you I'm sure remember this was the repaint that hit like a bomb, I know for myself it's the one where I just realized :
Ya mean I can make a figures look like that! It started me down the path I've been on ever since.

Cya
Hankster

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
Boot25's masterful repainting of Dragon/DML head-sculpts notably raised the bar high and set the benchmark for all
the current manufacturer's to emulate and follow suit.

I'm so happy when Boot25 purchased my custom made bomber harness...sorry for the shameless plug!

·
WWII Guy
1,418 Posts
Pete I certainly do remember! I also remember having the conversation with Scott about "Dragon needs to buy thier boots from Newline miniatures " at DX05. His reply was an interesting conversation....

cya
Hankster

·
Foreign Volunteers
3 Posts
as promised here are a few of the Master's Dragon repaints....

Cya,
Hankster
Oh my Lord!

They are the finest repaint I have ever seen! I am just starting out in this repainting caper, and mine look...terrible.

I would love to watch a Youtube tutorial of how you achieved those life like looks.

I feel like they are going to start talking to me!

Kindest Regards,
Vic

21 - 40 of 42 Posts