One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
1/6th happy said:
Usally the fligthsuits are made of NOMEX which is flame retardent. You can a ton of Marines wearing wearing them in Iraq.The NOMEX keeps you from getting burned from IEDs and things like that.Since IEDS cuase fires and thats were alot of the injurys come from.

Hope that helped
Yep that is correct :)

·
1:6 puppy
985 Posts
nomex flight suits (and flight gloves) have been worn by spec ops troops since the late vietnam years(when they first appeared..nomex being 'new').a lot of troops find them comfortable(although i've heard nomex can be somewhat stiff when new).used to be only available in 'sage' green. army and naval/marine flight crews soon had their own version with flaps over the pockets and a darker green/OD shade.tan suits where issued in the 1st gulf war..now they have 3 color desert camo.the army is issuing 'airwarrior' suits that are much like BDUs..in woodland,tan and now digital.army mech troops(and marine armoured) have a 1 piece suit that looks much like the flight suit,but in OD green and with slightly diffrerent pockets(and a built in 'drag handle').

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for all the info so far....a few followups:

So marines can wear these in lieu of MARPAT (sorry, I'm a little rusty on my current camo patterns) BDU's if they so choose, or its by unit or platoon or....basically by mission op?

I picked up a Dragon Perry, in lieu of one of the pricier Hot Toys MEU marines in the tan or OD flightsuits, and I assumed they were kitted up in this fashion because they were conducting ship-born operations, much like a VBSS or Fleet Security role.....

So this manner of kitting ones-self out isn't limited to just shipborne operations then.....??

Just trying to get the whole picture :)

·
Bash in my sleep.
3,023 Posts
Im not sure about how they are issued out but they have become very common in Iraq. I see regular Marines in NOMEX alot but I have only seen Army Soliders wearing then once

here are some pics of Marines in Iraq

[/QUOTE]

Jared J. Keffer, the 8th team squad leader for 1st platoon security company, CLB-4, talks to his driver Cpl. J.M. Weimer, afther blocking a road, during a convoy, Nov. 9. Keffer and his Marines are in charge of ensuring the security of a convoy going to Haditha Dam.

A Marine with Company L, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 6, provides security as he watches over a crowd of Garma residents during the grand reopening ceremony of the "Lollipop" Market in Garma, Iraq, Dec. 1. Coalition Forces joined Garma citizens and local dignitaries in the celebration of the market reopening, marking progress toward economic growth for the community.

Quotes added

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You! I did some searching on the web last night and discovered some other shots of marines kitted out almost exactly like Perry, and also the Hot Toys figures, I thought this one a training kind of thing but I'm glad to see its basically standard.

Thanks everyone for all the info.

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
army mech troops(and marine armoured) have a 1 piece suit that looks much like the flight suit,but in OD green and with slightly diffrerent pockets(and a built in 'drag handle').
This is a subject that seems to pop up quite frequently, the Ground version of the Nomex suits and accessories are known as CVC or Combat Vehicle Crewman
( Gloves, balaclavas, jackets, etc. The helmet , although not made of Nomex, is also refered to as a CVC ) , and there is and has been a Desert Tan version for a long while. Also, coming soon to theaters near you, are the new ACU modified version of it as you said Tiger.

Army troops do wear them quite frequently , but like mentioned , not seen in photos very often.

Don't recall seeing the DCU pattern on Nomex , only the Tan for both the Ground and Air versions. But that doesn't mean they don't exist. Just never saw them.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Interesting footnote on the NOMEX flame retardency ...

According to a PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) training course I completed for work this year, Fire Fighters had discovered that some NOMEX clothing had lost its flame retardant properties. The cause was investigated, and eventually it was determined that the use of fabric softeners when washing said NOMEX PPE was breaking down the NOMEX treatment. Moral of the story ... hang dry those NOMEX flight suits (or racing suits, etc.) if and when you wash them.

·
1:6 puppy
985 Posts
hmm...seems nomex, like kevlar, has a 'use by' date thing going.just remember...there is no such thing as fire proof..bullet proof...or fool proof. interesting...in the 'old days' before nomex....flight suits were soaked in a bucket with a water/borax solution to render them "flame resistant"...(the suits had to be cotton..not polyblend)it had to be re applied on a regular basis.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
The main reason, aside from these other great and very factual responses that are very applicable, for the HT 2MEF SOTG figures to be wearing OD/TAN flightsuits is that the reference material HT used for these figures was of some specialized Marines, probably Force Recon, wearing the OD flightsuits during a training mission. The tan flightsuit version came from this OD version as a spinoff, but a good one IMO.

From the pictures I have seen of the actual SOTGs during this past year, and I'm still catching up on 3 months of pictures now, SOTGs and the Marines [and US Navy personnel as well as Aussies or Filipinos or other friendly forces they may train] they run through their Courses generally wear Marpat in Arid or Temperate scheme. [or their respective camouflage. [DCU or BDU, Auscam, BDU, respectively]

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,121 Posts
And I thaught it was because they were so stylish.....Just kidding, I did know about the NOMEX. I have heard they are lighter weight overall than BDUs and offer slightly better ventilation, but not knowing first hand that might be only speculation and rumour.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
When given the choice I always wore the two piece nomex flight suit. I liked having a belt to put my leatherman on etc, plus it was more convienant when you have to "go number two." In the early days of OEF we all flew in DCUs because they are more durable and warmer. The rules eventually caught up to us and we had to swap back. While in Africa we were able to get our hands on the two piece and we have been wearing it every since. We (Air Force) are just not allowed to wear them in the States.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Heh blake, I was told that picture was the inspiration for DML Perry years ago.

Pavespawn! Great to hear from you, hope you and your brother are doing well :) Haven't seen or heard from either of you in so long. Take care!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts