1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
There's no or very little repercussions to the officers for it. As you said, pepper spray, tazer, or even a baton should be adequate for an able bodied person to fend off, or at least dissuade, a charging animal.

I'd personally have a worse reaction than the SLC guy would.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Sadly... Having been around and worked with many fine officers around the country, it's only the @$$wipes who get the most press. Like any job, there are those people who ruin it for everyone. As a dog owner, and animal lover, if some scumbag did any of this kind of stuff to my dog, I'd be arrested for murder. End of story.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm with Stryker on this. Just last week we had a local Police Officer jump into water to save a dog trapped in a submerged car. He knew that the people got out and that the dog was still in there and he did not hesitate on second. He went right in and saved the pup. But, that won't make the National news. So, there are many, many good Officers out there, we only hear about the bad apples!

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
I'm afraid I'd be on a mission to hunt that SOB down.

3,824 Posts
Unfortunately this isn't the only case like this recent there has been a slew of events with similar stature. Isolated event? No but as stated above bad press makes good stories no one want to read about how Suzy Q got ticket for her seat belt and went home A Ok. My heart goes out to the dogs owner, can't imagine how he feels.

·
God Bless America
1,528 Posts
I remember a few years ago, two (that's 2) police officers shot and killed a homeless old lady that came at them with a knife. Yes, I think if you come at the police in a threatening manner with anything down to a ballpoint pen, you can at least be shot because you don't threaten the police!

On the other hand, these two "trained" professionals couldn't handle an old lady with a knife? So if you want to talk about training or lack of, there's that. Anyway, back to the topic......

Hopefully, most officers know how to "discourage" a dog attack. Are they trained about dog attacks? Maybe. Because a dog, the right dog, can do a lot of damage. So it's almost understandable that an officer, with a speeding animal coming at him, would feel his life was at stake. Reflex action for an officer is to grab the gun and fire.

Like every shooting, it depends on the people, places and events to find the fault.
There was a dog shooting in the last year or so where officers were arresting a man, and the man's dog jumped out of the car and came at them. Now the dog had been barking and barking the whole time, but when he saw his man/master being handled, he had to save his friend.
Unfortunately for the dog, the guns bite was faster than his, and he was shot and killed. Yeah, lots of people raised cain about it. One of the officers could have grabbed the dog, hit the dog away, etc, etc.

I'm not defending the officer in the topic story, but we weren't there. I really don't think the dog walked up to him, tail wagging, and licked his hand before he shot the friendly pet. Is it possible the dog came flying around the corner like a beast eyeing his lunch, and the officer fired at the set of jaws coming at him? I don't know the dog, don't know the officer, don't know the back yard. Danger, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
Seems to me though, the dog must have been pretty close to be shot in the head.

They are investigating, and if he acted with over-kill, they'll deal with it. It's sad the dog died. Nothing can change it.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,821 Posts
While I respect the law enforcement . . . there are those who overstep their bounds and exercise extreme poor judgment under the legitimacy of law enforcement and penalties/punishment for those in law enforcement who are absolutely guilty of poor actions and judgement that breaches the public trust in any way needs to be just as accountable and dare I say even more than some of the worst scumbag criminals because they are civil servants. The few who should never be in law enforcement for a variety of reasons bring dishonor and shame to the majority who do their duty with integrity and that's a damn shame.

In our country's sometime overzealous wants of more power to law enforcement and occasionally looking the other way so to speak, that type of mindset are enabling the ones who'll take advantage of the system for whatever reason.

Police officers constantly shooting dogs with no real or vocal outrage will eventually lead to more instances where police officers will start shooting more people regardless of the circumstances and claim self preservation/protection because they have a badge.

I am not anti-law enforcement/police by any means, but we're seeing an alarming trend of police being more militarized over the years and using more force indifferent, right, or wrong and that is troubling.

I will always have the utmost respect for law enforcement, but I refuse to let those who abuse the system get away it and not be held accountable.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,280 Posts
I saw this video a while back. I think it was 3 to 4 months ago. I could not believe it. And I saw other videos of the police shooting a dog in the back yard with a 5 foot high fence. What gives the police the right shot a dog that is fenced in? I just don't get it... It is times like these that I am glad I live back in Korea. The police carry old .38 revolvers. And they don't even carry spare bullets!!! Usually there are 2 riding in the squad car. Only 1 of them has the gun! The other, a pepper spray gun. Brinks armored car men only carry the pepper spray gun. And at night time, after 8 or 9 pm, you don't think about your children going outside the house in the US. Korea, your children could get stuff at the local convenient store or supermarket 9, 10, 11, or whatever time at night and you don't think about it twice about it.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw this video a while back. I think it was 3 to 4 months ago. I could not believe it. And I saw other videos of the police shooting a dog in the back yard with a 5 foot high fence. What gives the police the right shot a dog that is fenced in? I just don't get it... It is times like these that I am glad I live back in Korea. The police carry old .38 revolvers. And they don't even carry spare bullets!!! Usually there are 2 riding in the squad car. Only 1 of them has the gun! The other, a pepper spray gun. Brinks armored car men only carry the pepper spray gun. And at night time, after 8 or 9 pm, you don't think about your children going outside the house in the US. Korea, your children could get stuff at the local convenient store or supermarket 9, 10, 11, or whatever time at night and you don't think about it twice about it.
Er, yeah but on the other hand they eat dogs in Korea.
Sooooo........yeah.....

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
450 Sheriff Deputies in Texas Trained NOT to Shoot Dogs

In San Antonio Texas, Sherif Deputies are taking an unorthodox approach to tackle a little talked about problem. The killing of dogs who are presumed to be a threat. In certain cases, deputies have to take lethal force on dogs who try and attack them. Although this is standard procedure, more times than not, the dogs who are killed were never known to be aggressive.
This is a nationwide problem. This police department is training their deputies to be more careful in profiling dogs to see if they have the propensity to be aggressive, and taking a wait and see approach versus just drawing a weapon first and then shooting.
:applause

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Sounds like a good step in the right direction!

·
God Bless America
1,528 Posts
Leave it to Texas to come up with a good plan to solve this problem. :thumb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts