One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but they are more or less the only major figure producer that has yet to touch on this subject (excluding the boots) AND at the show (forgot the name) a couple of months ago where TS first showed their '70s medic, the ACE display showed the NSW machinegunner, the VBSS AND a nude figure with a nam era M60. That and the fact that most of us would probably scoop these up quickly which would financially great for ACE. I know this isn't much to go on, but hell, I can hope.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.TS has had 2 Nam offerings this year,along with the 56 gear set and the OG107's,and M1 helmets.

TS pretty much has the 'niche as far as Nam goes.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Sorry guys, but Hot Toys Vietnam figures were far from hot sellers. I remember how slow the sales were (maybe now that these figures are hard to come by, it's a different story)... And SS Vietnam figure that was just announced - same thing, a lot of hype, but pretty much noone pre-orders it...

Alexei
Alexei,

I think a majority are just waiting for it (SS MACV-SOG)to hit just to get loose parts from it. Much like the upcoming TS SF exclusive. Its a nice set and all but the only thing I want from it is the ALICE pack, sidearm, and poncho. Might have to buy the whole set just to get the items I need and trade off the rest.

I just finished reading book 3 of H Jay Riker's SEALS: The Warrior Breed and now I'm diving back into the 'Nam. But your also right on the HT Vietnam box sets, I remember dealers marking them down to $75 just to move them out and now that their hard to find (Evil Bay has them priced at.....$179 being the lowest with $45 shipping from the Orient). If a manufacture would make, say, a plain Army/Marine grunt loaded down with gear than I'm sure those would probably fly off the market.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think a majority are just waiting for it (SS MACV-SOG)to hit just to get loose parts from it. Much like the upcoming TS SF exclusive.

I agree with you about the SS supposed MACV-SOG member. The HS gives a lot to this figure but the set does'nt bring too much on the market.

About the TS Longrear, I think it's different: replacing the tigerstripe by a black BDU or an OG107 striped black, with a bandana on the head, we'll have a very good SOG member.
The green (true felt) beret will help us to make a nice 5th SFG man.
The ALICE pack and its frame are absolutly welcome and useful.

Of course, it depends of your own stock of loose VN parts; but with this last figure, TS has produced enought these last monthes to complete many nice Nam batches at a reasonable expense, all in all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but they are more or less the only major figure producer that has yet to touch on this subject (excluding the boots) AND at the show (forgot the name) a couple of months ago where TS first showed their '70s medic, the ACE display showed the NSW machinegunner, the VBSS AND a nude figure with a nam era M60. That and the fact that most of us would probably scoop these up quickly which would financially great for ACE. I know this isn't much to go on, but hell, I can hope.
It could be great only if the figure is accurate and brings something new on the market. There are many possibilities of great subjects. Wait and see... Because if it's again and again to throw on the market a SF in John Wayne tigerstripe (always the same one) with M56 gear, we have enought of them; then it could be better for everybody if ACE put their money on a better idea.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think a majority are just waiting for it (SS MACV-SOG)to hit just to get loose parts from it. Much like the upcoming TS SF exclusive.
I agree with you about the SS supposed MACV-SOG member. The HS gives a lot to this figure but the set does'nt bring too much on the market.

About the TS Longrear, I think it's different: replacing the tigerstripe by a black BDU or an OG107 striped black, with a bandana on the head, we'll have a very good SOG member.
The green (true felt) beret will help us to make a nice 5th SFG man.
The ALICE pack and its frame are absolutly welcome and useful.

Of course, it depends of your own stock of loose VN parts; but with this last figure, TS has produced enought these last monthes to complete many nice Nam batches at a reasonable expense, all in all.

·
Divine Intervention!
3,026 Posts
There were a lot of VN SF made and a couple more on the horizon (TS & SS). But the last VN grunt I knew of were from the grand ol' dame. No doubt TS has released enough accessory sets to kit out grunts but buying each accessory set by set actually cost quite a lot. Why not a full figure? And need more AR-15. DML ones are gold but hard to come by and when available, they are as expensive as gold.

·
Private Investigator
2,379 Posts
i wouldn't bet my life on ACE producing a Vietnam era figure. they aren't exactly Mr. Innovative, now are they? quality wise they are top notch, but in terms of originality and innovation they are far behind Toy Soldier. When they do come out with a new figure (which rarely happens anyway) it's usually underequipped, overpriced and most likely something that TS have already done.

even if they did decide to make a Vietnam era soldier, it would most likely be a lightly equipped SEAL.

as for a Vietnam era grunt, even though i'm not into collecting conventional forces, my bet is on Toy Soldier being the first to produce one. they have already produced a lot of the necessary equipment in previous releases (OD uniform, helmet, flak jacket, jungle boots, 1956 webbing, etc). their next release, the Longgrear figure, comes with an exclusive poncho. we might just see that poncho in a regular release at a later time. Platoon ring a bell?

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
as for a Vietnam era grunt, even though i'm not into collecting conventional forces, my bet is on Toy Soldier being the first to produce one. they have already produced a lot of the necessary equipment in previous releases (OD uniform, helmet, flak jacket, jungle boots, 1956 webbing, etc). their next release, the Longgrear figure, comes with an exclusive poncho. we might just see that poncho in a regular release at a later time. Platoon ring a bell?
Yup, TS has just about everything to make a well equipped grunt: jungle fatigues, helmet with Mitchell cover, M1956 and M1967 gear, a lightweight ruck from the Longgrear fig, canteens, etc. They can add a poncho liner, Claymore bags, and few other items and we'd have a good grunt.

Or, we could just bash one, which is what I want to do once I get a Longgrear ruck and poncho.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
There were a lot of VN SF made and a couple more on the horizon (TS & SS). But the last VN grunt I knew of were from the grand ol' dame. No doubt TS has released enough accessory sets to kit out grunts but buying each accessory set by set actually cost quite a lot. Why not a full figure? And need more AR-15. DML ones are gold but hard to come by and when available, they are as expensive as gold.
Hear, hear. M16s and olive greens are what I want to see on new 'nam figures!!! Plus gear like claymore bags, 7.62mm ammo boxes, entrenching tools, 2 quart canteens etc.

·
Long-time listener
468 Posts
Hear, hear. M16s and olive greens are what I want to see on new 'nam figures!!! Plus gear like claymore bags, 7.62mm ammo boxes, entrenching tools, 2 quart canteens etc.
Also if Soldier Story would make the M16s (preferably with correct slings), Toy Soldier integrate metal hardware onto the M1956 LCE and new rucksack, Dragon make Nam-era e-tool covers, DiD release metal M26 grenades, and ANYONE make M16 bandoliers that hang right, that would finish up a well-rounded grunt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also if Soldier Story would make the M16s (preferably with correct slings), Toy Soldier integrate metal hardware onto the M1956 LCE and new rucksack, Dragon make Nam-era e-tool covers, DiD release metal M67 grenades, and ANYONE make M16 bandoliers that hang right, that would finish up a well-rounded grunt.
With a bit of patience all will be done ... between 2 or 3 SF figures :) , but it will be done ...

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
Im deeply considering pre-ordering both the SS and TS new nam releases...I just have to take into account that since the SS one is 77ish and we dont yet know how much the TS one will be (im assuming 90-120 range)
Keeping in mind the old saying about opinions and a certain orifice, I'll throw my opinion in anyway:

Personally, I see no contest here if you can only afford one, and I'd opt for the TS Longgrear fig. Will it be more expensive than the SS SOG set? Yeah, but you'll get some variety and a few pieces we haven't seen before.

For starters, you get the lightweight ruck, which can be used for any army grunt from '65-'72. Then you have a highly detailed BAR belt, which of course you can use on a WWII or Korean War bash.

On the SS SOG set, you get some highly detailed and quality gear but it isn't too original nowadays. Scarce? Yes, you might argue that.

We now have had 21C, SOTW, Elite Brigade, TS, DML, HT, Reload Action, and Saturday Toys do a complete or partial tigerstripe set. Now SS is releasing a set. I would argue Longgrear has a set because it's based on a real deal specific individual.

SS has already released the AK chest rig and AK with their PLA fig, unless they are slight variations. TS and HT have done some top notch M1956 and M1967 gear (TS) so what is original in the SS set?

As I've said in other threads, I have SS products and they are excellent quality and I'll continue to buy their products; it's just that someone can surely come up with better and more original Vietnam sets. I am happy SS took the chance but I wish they'd have been more forward thinking, that's all.

Now, if more details emerge that show the SS set will include accessories like a ruck of some sort, Claymore bags or similar gear, I'll eat my words and it's a whole new ballgame. But for now, the set looks mighty sparse.

So I'd go with TS Longgrear just because it has a few unique parts, to include the lightweight ruck, BAR belt and new style beret (and a poncho for a few lucky ones).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts