One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

If you look at some discussion threads and postings, you'll find instances of where some members made or continue to make poor decisions resulting in $ being lost due to a variety of reasons and circumstances from time period lapses on pre-orders, scum bag vendors and collectors, continuing to purchase from dubious sources to score an expensive figure on the cheap, etc.

I believe some do definitely learn from it and move on and pass along the appropriate advice to others. Then again . . . some may not learn and continue to engage in poor decisions resulting in $ being lost along with aggravation, frustration, time lost, etc.

Why do some continue to engage in such . . . "poor decisions" within the hobby?

I hate to post/say it, but I suspect it is due to the allure of supposedly finding a good deal just to save a few bucks or just ignorance under the supposed allure of convenience.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Food for thought? Or not?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do how product in this hobby is marketed. There is a lot of vaporware and snake oil hype and tactics put behind products. There is a lot of misinformation directed at customers in order to secure preorder deposits and that can trigger a reaction where people feel they have to secure a place in line while they can. That is certainly true of some products, but in general other than limited (ie expo/high priced items) or very niche releases, most figures are readily available for weeks, if not many many months at time of release, from any number of retailers. For many brands things aren't selling out, they aren't even reaching preorder numbers to justify a timely release, if one at all. Also if a product doesn't arrive in a timely manner to a particular territory, we are seeing a trend now where a product has a much longer than expected delivery then mysteriously shows up with another release from the same brand. The customer is left to infer (or is told) that the first one is selling out so fast and shipments are allocated, when the reality is the second product hasn't sold in enough quantities for the distributor to justify bringing in separately. You end up with a release with a large number of preorders getting delayed so a second release with minimal preorders can be brought in. This leaves customers with the impression a more popular release is selling out so fast they should have preordered on day one.

The other problem is that too many people like to use preorders as a way of budgeting their money, particularly in the case of installments. Never use a retailer to manage your money, that is what bank accounts are for. Retailers always start out with the best of intentions, but things happen. I'm sure Mother's Basement or One Sixth Bruce didn't start their businesses with the intention of running a ponzi scheme fueled by preorders, but that is exactly what they ended up doing, all the while lying to their customers, and spreading the same misinformation I see from other retailers.

Some of these things happen because brands traditionally don't communicate well with customers on releases. Hopefully with more of them developing a more active social media presence we'll see some improvements in this area. If you are going to preorder, do so with a dealer you have a good history with rather than shopping around to save a few dollars. The guys who discount the most are often the ones who end up going out of business or can't secure enough stock to fill orders.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Sometimes it can be due to the crowd you're in with on the forums. Even if you hate a figure, sometimes, you buy it just because everyone else has and you don't want to be alienated for stating your true opinion. It happens more on SSF than it does here. I got in with Bruce Lee fans there and I already had a Bruce I was happy with, then I followed them and ended up with 3 more that I wasn't quite sold on just because the others convinced me with their opinions.

These days I don't care and just tell it as I see it, saved some serious $ into the bargain too!

CHEERS!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I actually think it's due to the limited nature of some of the products. What I'm trying to get at is that a product may be released and the buyer may not have either the time or money to buy it then but later when they decide they need it the product is no longer in stock with the more reputable suppliers so they have to resort to ebay or other sites.

Now before i started with this hobby I had never used ebay and luckily (touches wood) I have not had any problems except where its my fault , checking sizes scales etc. There are a couple of figures that I would like which are out of stock in the online stores and I'm tempted to order from other places, but then which sellers listing do i use? Okay there is feedback I have noticed that even within a single sellers store there are often differing prices for the same figure, do they have multiple copies or 'sub contract' out. Also descriptions can get muddled due to translation errors.

Then we in the UK have to take in to consideration when buying items the import duty when buying from reputable stores, I'm not saying that uk stores should not pass this on to their customers and I will buy from uk if they have what i want, but if the difference in apparent cost is perhaps +30% when buying from the USA compared to a seller who will send it as a 'gift' then you run the risk of not getting your order. (an example being my Gandalf figure bought from a company in the USA, the service was impeccable btw, however once I added shipping and duty it came to £265 i think.)

Just my 2 penn'eth

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
This is one of the reasons I am hesitant to leave the retailer I have been dealing with. Although I think their customer service could be improved, there is never no surprises. Their prices are competitive. I don't like surprises. When I order something I want to know full price and that means shipping and handling. Many retailers charge less for the product but hit you with higher shipping fees so you really don't save that much.......I have learned in these last few years what I like and want from this hobby . I have a price range I seldom deviate from. And have learned to wait and see in hand pictures of high end product before ordering. Just my two cents

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
See subject.

If you look at some discussion threads and postings, you'll find instances of where some members made or continue to make poor decisions resulting in $ being lost due to a variety of reasons and circumstances from time period lapses on pre-orders, scum bag vendors and collectors, continuing to purchase from dubious sources to score an expensive figure on the cheap, etc.
There have always been dishonest people and scammers. The internet, in facilitating communications and interactions, has brought them much closer to us. And much of what we see is unmoderated and unverifiable. Back in the world of bricks and mortar stores and real (as opposed to virtual) word of mouth, reputations were much more "real" as well. The source of a warning about the shopkeeper who puts his thumb on the scale when weighing produce was someone you knew, and trusted. It had far more credibility than an anonymous "like" which could have come from anyone, even the retailer himself.

Ebay tries to mimic the reputation thing. But it's just too easy for problem sellers, with bad reps, to create new identities and start over until they are again caught, and again start new identities. Ebay doesn't have the resources to check these things carefully enough to actually prevent them. You're supposed to be covered by Paypal's policies etc., but it's an imperfect system.

I believe some do definitely learn from it and move on and pass along the appropriate advice to others. Then again . . . some may not learn and continue to engage in poor decisions resulting in $ being lost along with aggravation, frustration, time lost, etc.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Or, perhaps these scammers are getting ever more sophisticated. Actually, forget "perhaps". They are getting more sophisticated.

I hate to post/say it, but I suspect it is due to the allure of supposedly finding a good deal just to save a few bucks or just ignorance under the supposed allure of convenience.

I think many are just very young and innocent. Hopefully they will learn in time. But sometimes people get so caught up in the thrill of the chase, that they temporarily lose their common sense. Even though I'm pretty wary, and no spring chicken by any means, I have gotten so excited at finding something I wanted that I've ignored exorbitant shipping costs until it was too late, and ignored bad seller ratings as well a few times. Oops. Once burned, twice shy, you'd hope. :)

DFC, you touch on a very interesting aspect of human psychology here as well, and that's our tendency towards hopeful optimism towards things we want or, and this is more insidious, towards things we've acquired. People tend to invest a whole lot of goodwill into things they've chosen, in part to support and defend that choice, and prove themselves right. You see this all over the boards with people expressing opinions on new figures. Those who want them, will tend towards optimism, to the point of willfully ignoring obvious flaws, and even reacting with defensiveness and outright anger towards those who point out those flaws. (The fanboy syndrome). Others will downgrade anything for any reason, again their cynicism sometimes due to having been burned before, which is perhaps a learned reaction, but sometimes because they simply can't afford the figure - the sour grapes syndrome.

We constantly see this in politics and in sports where the things done by the other team are terrible, but the exact same thing when done by our team is perfectly ok.

But, I digress.....

·
OSW Member
2,257 Posts
See subject.

What??? Do you mean the Phicen Arhian Head Huntress figures for $19.99 each with Free Shipping & in New and Sealed, never opened Condition that I just found on eBay from 2 different sellers from Texas With 0 feedback is probably a scam? Oh Man & I was just getting ready to order one. (NOT)

·
i draw pictures.....
2,045 Posts
Rule # 1- never pre-order anything that's a year out(everything these days is at least a year out)...or even six months..no disappointments on final product if the pics don't live up to the protos. In fact i have never pre-ordered anything..if i like something i wait for in stock and pay the extra cash...simple as that. 85% of our toys are often avaliable somewhere when they come into the sellers..althought there are some rare stuff that might need to be pre-ordered but i have found that doing a little homework on where it might be sold goes a long way in buying what i want and not dealing with pre-orders and money up front.

peace
Miguel

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Rule # 1- never pre-order anything that's a year out(everything these days is at least a year out)...or even six months..no disappointments on final product if the pics don't live up to the protos. In fact i have never pre-ordered anything..if i like something i wait for in stock and pay the extra cash...simple as that. 85% of our toys are often avaliable somewhere when they come into the sellers..althought there are some rare stuff that might need to be pre-ordered but i have found that doing a little homework on where it might be sold goes a long way in buying what i want and not dealing with pre-orders and money up front.

peace
Miguel
Good advice. I probably already said this, but again I learned to wait until in hand pictures of a product is posted on eBay. Now I will pre-order six of the medium bust muscular bodies from tbleague because I know what I am getting. Box figures from Hot Toys and the lot they are going to have to bring their A-game game to ever get my business again......

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
No different than any other hobby.....or real life even.....remember real life.....?:wink

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have to disagree with you. Good luck getting Hot Toys figures nowadays without pre-ordering. Look at the recent Rogue One releases, most of the figures are sold out way before release day. You can still get them on Ebay now, with a marked up of $30-$60 mostly likely to be more. The same thing can be said for Phicen, Threezero & DamToys/VTS figures. (I don't know about other brands, only speak with my own experience)

The way I've been getting figures recently is to wait for coupons from Sideshow, then used those on pre-orders. They passing out coupon quite often, either through email or on the shipping box for each purchase. Saved $20 to $25 on every single figure. Same thing for Phicen and others, some retailers offer cheaper price if buyer pre-order and they only require a little down payment up front.

Why risk buying from Ebay or wait until release day? - Opened box listed as new, defective without being able to return, more expensive or straight up sold out! When I can pre-order from trust worthy sites like Sideshow or my choice of retailer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Learning these lessons is a rite of passage for most collectors. It's the same for any collectible. You learn the common scams and what's too good to be true. We all have a gallery of regrettable purchases. I try not to let impulse, buzz or group-think guide me. Rule number one for me is 'do I personally like it regardless?'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts