One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing a thread started by someone (sorry forgot who) and he posted this video
so it really got me thinking, why are we still taking pics of our "customs" or "dios" when we could be making films of them with today's technology and the number of figures most of us have. Heck, even with only 2 to 3 figures, it's much more entertaining to watch a short film on that, then just a picture of a figure standing there on a peg, weathered or not.

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
Because you need a whole lot of time and patience. Nick is studying Film or Directing at school so he does that "for a living" as part of his future job. So either you use up your whole free time for a 2minutes movie, or you take one day a week to take several dozen pictures ;)

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
Yes, time and patience (and even more money) is the answer. I have dabbled in photo stories in the past. I really enjoyed making them and would like to make more, but it just takes too much time.

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
It's good to see that video again:)

Good question. I guess time and patience and resource if you are talking stop motion animation type of presentation. I have heard different ratios for the amount of time spent manipulating the poses to time of actual footage. I imaging it would take some time. I would like to dabble in the process though.

I have also thought about posting a tutorial as a video as opposed to pic by pic with written instruction. Video with voice would be more effective and informative.

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
Like everybody else has said, time is a key factor. For me, I'd go a step farther and say it's because still photography is my medium. If I'm creating a story, I prefer to do it "comics style" with photos and text rather than in stop motion video format with voice-overs (which can sometimes be distracting and amateurish).

A couple of years ago, I was doing an episodic photo story at another board. I was able to photograph, write and post an episode in a single afternoon. With stop motion, that sort of thing just wouldn't be possible.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Stop motion is actually the reason I got into 1/6. Theres was always a few dealers at a local collectors convention that had 1/6 stuff. And for some reason I got an idea to do a Predator VS. Alien VS. Tremors VS. Jurassic Park Featuring Solid Snake stop motion movie:wideyes LIke everyone said its a time issue. The big obstical I realized there would be that it takes alot of sets to even make a short movie

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Time- effort - money - and more time. Just bashing a figure and taking pictures takes time.

I'll give you an example - Me and some friends spent two years shooting this film. That's two whole years of shooting, set building, and miniature making, here is a link to some pictures (I should up load a few more)

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/BlakJak13/Masked Commando/?start=0

This thing still isn't finished. There is CGI being rendered and then there is the editing - It's a HUGE process. When all is said and done will will have 20 minutes of finished footage.

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
As it's been said, time is the real kicker. God only knows how long it took him to do that....

·
Guns, guns and more guns
1,193 Posts
My digicam has a video setting, as most cameras nowadays have, so I guess if anything we can take short video clips of our figs, give a 360 view and maybe even demonstrate articulation and all that too. Just a thought, since I know it's hard to get decent pics, maybe a video can capture it better...

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
TIME. I'd rather bash or play with another figure than spend hours, days, weeks of posing to get a 1 or 2 minute short film. Maybe someday when I've bashed all the figures I need for my Joe-verse, and I just want to play ... (Retirement?)

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts

·
i draw pictures.....
2,045 Posts
Dude
i'm still trying to buy my first camera for simple shoots...
christ!!....making full motion videos? that's just too much work dude,
but cool if you got the time and dedication.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts