One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
HOME OF FINE 1/6 CUSTOMS
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

Although this customizer is referring to props made for cosplayers, I think what he says about commissions applies to custom/kitbash 1/6 figures as well. Check it out.

Eric

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello,

I myself do custom work on various projects, the time is the most import, second is the material and then what is the current market.

Tony

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
It also reminds me of an experience I had during my model building days. I happened to be in my local hobby shop when a fellow came in with a large custom speedboat model. The model was several years old and had been damaged; not majorly, but many items on the model were cracked or broken, and the model needed new paint. The man asked the hobby shop owner if he knew someone who could repair & restore the model. The shop owner asked me to come over and give an opinion. I took a good, long look at the model and said it could be done and gave the model's owner a price; his face blanched at the figure I quoted. I explained what had to be done to restore the model, and that it was more involved than just gluing new stuff on; parts had to be fabricated or scratchbuilt, the old paint had to be stripped and new paint and custom markings had to be applied, etc. The man listened to what I said and seemed to get the point of my explanation, but was still disappointed by how much it would cost. He thanked me for my time, then took his model and left-- I never saw him again.

The point of this is that custom work (or, in this case, the restoration of a custom piece) is expensive, and people who seek such need to expect prices that reflect the expensive nature of the work.

David

·
Registered
755 Posts
I do not work in 1:6 but I am a recovering artist and I can say that I never deal with someone that balks at an estimate. Been doing this a lot time.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
The point of this is that custom work (or restoration of a custom piece) is expensive, and people who seek such need to expect prices that reflect the expensive nature of the work.
^ This.

One of my college tutors used to make custom model railway models for people - large scale, entirely scratchbuilt and painted etc, around the £3k mark each. He used to go to the big shows to sell them but stopped after so many people baulked at the price, and on I e occasion laughed. -.-
What people have to appreciate is that these things don't just appear out of thin air, there's a hell of a lot of work involved, not just in the construction but in the finish work as well and if they were being paid minimum wage per hour spent on it, how much would it cost if they were doing it as part of a job?

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
The other thing to look at is expertise...a lot of people who do custom work or offer commissioned items, whether it be 1/6 or otherwise are true artists. If anyone could build/paint/sculpt etc then you would not need to commission it.

The reason for the commission is that not everyone can do it, there is experience or expertise there ...THAT YOU NEED TO PAY FOR.

For some people they have spent hours and hours and hours honing their craft, they are not just going to give it away for free.

This applies to anything, from Plumbers, carpenters, electricians, Doctors, lawyers...pretty much any profession.... so why not artiest...

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
One (or very few) of anything on this planet will always be worth more......there is no mystery about that........:dunno

G

·
To me the hardest part of taking a comission job, is the time; i swear there are times when two ot three hours pass by, and it only feels like minutes to me; i love sculpting, i'd love to do comission headsculpts, but i just don't have the time to do so.
That would be my main reason to be an expensive customizer

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,275 Posts
Time, research, printing, scaling, Styrene, and other items. *Trust me.. Super Glue goes pretty quick when building 1/6th Guns.*

It does add up sadly.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
The other thing to look at is expertise...a lot of people who do custom work or offer commissioned items, whether it be 1/6 or otherwise are true artists. If anyone could build/paint/sculpt etc then you would not need to commission it.

The reason for the commission is that not everyone can do it, there is experience or expertise there ...THAT YOU NEED TO PAY FOR.

For some people they have spent hours and hours and hours honing their craft, they are not just going to give it away for free.

This applies to anything, from Plumbers, carpenters, electricians, Doctors, lawyers...pretty much any profession.... so why not artiest...
So true. Most people are unwilling to invest the time and effort to develop the skills necessary, so they hand the work over to someone who does have the expertise. The problem is that a lot of people see the creative arts as of lesser importance in the larger scheme of things, so they tend to put a lower value on items made by artists or craftsmen. People who complain about how much a custom item costs should be given a full accounting of why it costs so much, just like the video does.

David

·
Customizer
2,232 Posts
As said here earlier, If everyone could do it no one would need to pay someone else to do it. My wife likes to say " Would a customer take a lower hourly wage to do his job ?" The fact that whatever is being made is most likely going to be the only one or a part of a very small # if the item does make it more expensive, no matter what . Always has. If someone wants it bad enough they will find a way to afford it.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I design in 3D Inventor for making 1/6 props. I just finished a steampunk pistol for Shapeways printing in Ultra Detail Frost. I have two hours in drawing it. I have made other similar pieces for $25 and they own the file. I have a thousand plus hours in drawing and this makes for fast drawing.

The other piece just completed the Tactical Plunger, it took one hour.

I can tell you when someone gives me a project like replicating a a 1:1 piece it takes a lot of time and research. This does not even count the time measuring and converting. So for me just making up an artistic piece is really fast and 1:1 takes much longer. I do it for the enjoyment of designing and it's cheaper than a therapist!

Thanks

Steampunk Pistol https://www.shapeways.com/model/161...-scale-gun.html?li=shop-results&materialId=61

Tactical Plunger https://www.shapeways.com/model/161...-plunger.html?li=more-from-shop&materialId=62

·
Registered
Mainly film related figures
202 Posts

I agree totally, just because you are an artist does not mean it is not work. I get tired of people thinking you love what you do so it can't be a proper job or work. I am sure doctors like doctoring and lawers like law but I don't see them doing it for next to nothing. I am a special makeup effects artist and get the same hassles of why do I have to pay that much, can't you do it cheaper or the ever popular it will be good experience.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts