One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering when did the beard fad come in cause now I see every man with a beard now. So what do you think about the beard fad?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Maybe real men want to be diverse from the ones who walk around like metrosexuals (or worse) these days an let themselves grow an manly beard :lol I have no clue maybe an evolution thing or an movement against emancipation or something else. At least it looks very good, keeps your throat warm in the winter and soaks up the sweat in the summer ;)

·
DO NOT READ THIS SENTENCE
2,235 Posts
I've had a beard ever since I was able to grow one, I look like a 12-year old without it!
I'm 26, maybe I started the whole thing off then?? ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe real men want to be diverse from the ones who walk around like metrosexuals (or worse) these days an let themselves grow an manly beard :lol I have no clue maybe an evolution thing or an movement against emancipation or something else. At least it looks very good, keeps your throat warm in the winter and soaks up the sweat in the summer ;)
So you saying men who keep their face shaven is a metrosexual?

·
SPQR
837 Posts
I usually have a bit of a Beard simply because i'm lazy and can't be bothered shaving most of the time.But that's not a new fad for me,i've always been like that.
I know it's getting too long when the Wife starts to complain lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's today's version of the thick Tom Selleck mustache of the 80's. Every tough guy and wannabee tough guy had a thick mustache. Now it's the kevlar beard.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you DeeL95 i think it like 70s Burt Reynolds and 80s Tom Selleck moustache era but now we got the Duck Dynasty Beard era

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think it may be partly down to seeing more of them in films and TV. Special Forces operators, Navy SEALS etc, are allowed to grow beards to help them blend into the local populace. Recent movies, such as ZDT and Lone Survivor have given them a greater exposure than before. As they are portrayed as tough, no nonsense types, perhaps today's man perceives it as a sign of courage.

Or maybe he's just lazy.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
There's always been beards, for many reasons. If what you say about every man you see having a beard, there may be a local ordinance. In my case, having to clear drives and walks at a number of locations this snow-rich winter meant extending my "Movember" growth. As with Efbee, I weather much complaining from the missus, but a bit of disappointment is good for her soul*.

Winter's Beardly Progress​

*I took these pics pretty much to add to her misery....

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts
Many men can not grow a beard. So if you can grow one, do it.
I have had a beard for 40 years or so.

G

·
The hipsters are all over beards now! Cropped short hair, geeky glasses, massive beard, lumberjack shirt and skinny jeans. I'm anti beard until that fad passes for them. Lol. Maybe then I'll grow mine back!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Grew to hate shaving and just stopped. Honestly, the trend is starting to make me want to rid myself of mine, but I like my beard. I honestly couldnt care less how "tough" it makes me, though I am not afraid to back up my toughness. The joy is in not having to back it up.

·
the bearded devil
2,317 Posts
Have had a beard ever since I got out of a job where I wasn't allowed to grow one. Can't imagine going without it now and I could really give sh*t less what the rest of the worlds doing. Can't even imagine that kind of thinking.

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man..."

·
Registered
519 Posts
Like my dearly departed great uncle used to say, " boy, if you want to grow a beard, throw that bloody razor away"!!!

He could not understand people growing beards & still needing to shave. He's from a very manly generation.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
I grew a mustache in the mid 70s and kept it until about 2000. My wife and older son were away at a swim meet that weekend (state meets, so they left on Wednesday). On Thursday morning, I went to trim the mustache and accidentally hacked it off shorter than I usually wore it. So, I shaved.

Went clean shaven for about 10 years, but grew a van **** (that's a goatee with a mustache [look it up...I'm right]), which is still with me.

I dislike shaving immensely.

·
Hi, I'm an addict!
3,470 Posts
I agree that it is just fads. Several reasons. Yes, the military connection was made, but there is also the sports connection. James Harden in the NBA, Brian Wilson in MLB and numerous MMA fighters have long thick beards. Just the look of the day. I myself have had a beard as long as I have been able to grow one. The length and thickness have varied. Must admit, its pretty thick these days. BTW, PD, nice beard!!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Thanks, dBC. Geez, I miss NOT shaving.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts