One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
aka haloed
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the question implies. I watched the new andromada strain on A&E the other night I know that Ridley Scott and his brother Tony were producers. I thought it was kinda blah looking considering who was producing. Could they have not put certain people in place that would ensure the look of the film. I thought the lighting was off as well as the cinamatography. Now what I want to know is who has a say in the way shots are set up, camera placement, lighting? Look at the new Battlestar Galactica. It's a tv show and looks better than most of the movies that are in theaters today. Are people responsible for the look of television different from film?

·
aka haloed
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Money and how well they can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

I work in advertising, unfortunately it has a lot to do with who you know not what you know.
:fit, as with all things the previous statement is true. so the director is has no real responsibility for the look?

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
From what I've seen in some documentaries on film-making, scenes are discussed before shooting by the cinematographer, camera operator, and director. They might bring in the special effect supervisor if needed for the scene.

Then it's the cinematographer's job to make sure they get the shot.

TV (like BSG) is probably very similar.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
:fit, as with all things the previous statement is true. so the director is has no real responsibility for the look?
Sorry I was in a bad head when I wrote that - next time I won't write in a bad haed.

I'd say the truth is someplace between what I originally wrote and what writtingman wrote.

The director and the art director are generally the ones who's job it is to decide the over all look.

There is concept art and story boards that are approved by the director/ the art director and sometimes with the creator.

If the producer wants to curry favor with someone or get in their pants, they get them a job on the film. The bigger the job the bigger the payback. From what my friends in the business in L.A. and NYC say, this is the case quite often.

There are people in the biz who or true artists, then there are those who just want to turn a fast buck - The fast buck types generally churn out schlocky crap, it's easy to spot.

Sometimes an artist just looses their way. George Lucas fought hard to make Star Wars... He let his kids pick Jar Jar.

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
You know, for the most part, I think the average moviegoer has no idea what the producer does or what his/her influence is (if any) on the film.

But I think Jerry Bruckheimer has a definite influence on how his movies look. From slow motion to the colors used (he's big on sunsets), you can really tell when you're watching one of his movies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.