One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a curiosity based question. I buy lots of loose gear from Ebay and multiple sites. I've always wondered where so much loose gear, weapons and body parts come from? How do these companies acquire them? For instance I'll go to a website and I'll see multiple boxed figures for sell but then I'll see where they're also selling broken down parts of said figures as well. Uniforms, head sculpts, bodies, weapons, gear etc etc. Do these companies just buy more figures than they think they'll sell and just break down everything for individual sell?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I think they buy up a lot of figures with the intent to break them down. Blackopstoys asks crazy high prices for parts, and they often get them, because they’re sometimes unavailable anywhere else. There’s a much bigger profit in loose parts than there is for boxed figures. Most of the military figures I see go for less than $200 — but broken down — sheesh, the combined cost of all those loose parts. I’ve seen them list full boxed sets (after release) for double retail — they might as well just be an eBay seller, since they’re asking scalper prices.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've seen a similar pattern in collectible firearms and vehicles: pistol X or car Y goes for $Z but if you tear it apart and sell the parts you will at least double that. Also, you can get a bunch of them who is selling a collection (wife selling deceased husband's collection or someone retiring or got fired or just want to change hobby) for a better price than a single one. And then break everything apart and post it on ebay or other auction sites. I mean, how badly do you need that 1972 all original 240Z carburator?

·
Registered
668 Posts
This reminds me of the She-Ra dolls from Matty Collector- I could buy one of them at clearance price and sell the unwanted extra outfits for as much as I paid for the full set. Some people want just the few parts they need even if the full package is maybe a small portion more expensive overall(and some were so unwilling to buy from Mattel direct and deal with the garbage fire known as Digital River shipping that they preferred paying eBay even if it meant more)

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,890 Posts
Your question/post comes off like "the 1:6 birds and the bees".

SO . . .

1. Loose gear comes from vendors breaking down boxed figures to sell . . . loose gear, parts, etc.

2. Loose gear comes from collectors who purchased one or multiples of figures for choice gear, parts, etc. and then selling / trading off the rest through a variety of means.

3. Some vendors buy / trade loose gear with collectors and/or other vendors at times in terms of inventory / selection.

4. Loose gear comes from two pieces of gear that are very fond of each other and procreate resulting in more loose gear.

So there you have it.

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts
Your question/post comes off like "the 1:6 birds and the bees".

SO . . .

1. Loose gear comes from vendors breaking down boxed figures to sell . . . loose gear, parts, etc.

2. Loose gear comes from collectors who purchased one or multiples of figures for choice gear, parts, etc. and then selling / trading off the rest through a variety of means.

3. Some vendors buy / trade loose gear with collectors and/or other vendors at times in terms of inventory / selection.

4. Loose gear comes from two pieces of gear that are very fond of each other and procreate resulting in more loose gear.

So there you have it.
dfc lol. also, i think it'd be nice for new accessory sets to be made like the ones DML did, where we could get the modern equivalent of a PASGT vest, and a set of LC2 gear. some set of that kind would find great favor now imo.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,890 Posts
dfc lol. also, i think it'd be nice for new accessory sets to be made like the ones DML did, where we could get the modern equivalent of a PASGT vest, and a set of LC2 gear. some set of that kind would find great favor now imo.
--

Does that mean if & when a boxed figure that comes with a PASGT vest and LC2 gear is produced/released, then all you want is the PASGT vest and LC2 gear?

Sure.

If the MSRP is $149.99 USD, you can buy those loose parts from me for only $139.99 USD please free shipping.

;) :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts