One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 24 Posts

· Mandoll withdrawl
8,475 Posts
I'd go with TristinJK, except when they're inside a safe-ish FOB, every Marine would keep their helmet on outside of the wire, especially around Fallujah. Inside bases they can wear their boonies I believe, but not outside, lest they want an a--chewing by their S/NCOs.

During the major fights in Fallujah in 2004, in the book They Were One, the Marines and IA kept their helmets and body armour on at all times, sleeping with their kit on and rifles ready.

If I recall the only time they removed a piece of essential kit [helmet or BA or boots, etc] was if they were injured and were being evac'd, [usually they kept everything they could on since the insurgents made ways to get behind our lines] or when they finally got back to Camp Fallujah after the battle, and maybe at the trainyard north of the city before the trek back to the Camp in their amtracks.

· Mandoll withdrawl
8,475 Posts
I may to blame for steering this thread towards the 2004 Fallujah tread, as I've noticed Eric and Dunk generally kitbash with the newest figures out--no offense meant or intended, just an observation--and figured that since the HT figures representing what I believe to be Marines fighting in the [2nd] Battle for Fallujah in 2004 just came out, that would be what he was inquiring about.

I'm guessing those guys are without their helmets because they are in relative safety and comfortable and familiar with the people around them, and perhaps with a security cordon around them or the area.

Also, I've had a chance to look at my book, and in the pictures, the Marines rarely had their helmets or any of their essential kit off unless they were in relative safety and taking a group photograph, otherwise, they kept it on, as most still wore everything on the ride out of/away from the city and to their Camp after the battle.

1 - 2 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.