One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
HOME OF FINE 1/6 CUSTOMS
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a Marine in Fallujah and the helmets I've been wanting to use don't fit that well with my headsculpt. I'm thinking of using either a boonie cap or a fleece watch cap. When would a soldier wear one of these? Would he be out on patrol not wearing his helmet? I remember there were a few scenes in "Jarhead" where they were just wearing boonies. Is that accurate?

I look forward to any help you guys can offer.

Thanks.
Eric

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
As far i know, Helmet and OTV are a must as soon they leave the Green Zone. So the only way i can see him without a helmet would be resting sitting on a chair maybe?

·
Salaryman Gen
407 Posts
I've never seen a pic of a marine in Fallujah without a helmet. They usually take it off after a mission or at rest in a safe place.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Army guy talking here, not a Marine:

Anytime we were outside the wire, we had our helmets on-period. However, just walking around the FOB or camp we had boonies or in the winter time our fleece caps or watch caps.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I'm with Johnny, I'd dump my brain bucket first chance I got. What you see in front of the camera's is only what DOD wants you to see. I'm sure as soon as the camera's and high brass are gone, so is alot of the fubar.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
I'd go with TristinJK, except when they're inside a safe-ish FOB, every Marine would keep their helmet on outside of the wire, especially around Fallujah. Inside bases they can wear their boonies I believe, but not outside, lest they want an a--chewing by their S/NCOs.

During the major fights in Fallujah in 2004, in the book They Were One, the Marines and IA kept their helmets and body armour on at all times, sleeping with their kit on and rifles ready.

If I recall the only time they removed a piece of essential kit [helmet or BA or boots, etc] was if they were injured and were being evac'd, [usually they kept everything they could on since the insurgents made ways to get behind our lines] or when they finally got back to Camp Fallujah after the battle, and maybe at the trainyard north of the city before the trek back to the Camp in their amtracks.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
While operating in the open in urban terrain, with IEDs prevalent, I'd be hard-pressed to believe anyone would forgo ballistic headgear. The amount of head trauma would be far worse with troops wearing soft headgear.

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
MisterToy said:
Thanks for all the great information. I guess I'll have to find away to make the helmet work. By the way, what is FOB?

Eric
FOBs are Forward Operating Bases. Many of them in Iraq have become quite luxurious over the years, and don't portray the reality of Iraq that folks who go "out the wire" everyday know. Those who are in PB'S or COP'S ( Patrol Bases or Combat Out Posts ) generaly have the bare minimum and rather live not so luxurious as those who dwell on the FOB's. The majority of the FOBS have become quite nice and obviously burdened by chickensh*t rear ecehelon rules and general BS. Makes one wonder if they are in the same plane of reality as those who actually bring the fight to Ali Baba and Wahabis.

The folks that EvinL mention , the pougues, are what used to be known as REMF's ( Rear Echelon MotherFu*kers) , are also known as FOBBITS, FOB GOBLINS these days. The ones whose biggest concern is that the AC might be on the fritz or the PX is out of their fav item, etc.. They are big topics of disdain with those who have trigger puller jobs. Same as they always have throughout history. I know I could yarn some good tales about them and their lack of understanding about what their real purpose is.... to support those who pull the trigger.

Anyway, apologies. FOBS and FOBBITS, REMFS always get my blood a boilin. Always have and always will.

In relation to your question, I think it has been answered pretty well already, but will back what has been said.

During real world operations,The Brain Buckets and Battle Rattle , the helmets and field kit , pretty much stay ON while outside the wire, on mission. They are often removed when taking a breather for bit. The helmet may come off, and the body armor opened to let some of the heat escape. Usually in the safety of walls or buildings. Or inside the vehicle that one might be using. I always took mine off when we were meeting with a local leader and were in his house. About the only time the Battle Rattle came off.

Or as Evin pointed out, those who dwell in FOBS RARELY ever put theirs on, and once inside we were back inside the comparitive safety of the walls to our camp, the Battle Rattle was grounded QUICK and the soft caps came out.

In peace time , especially back in the "day" , they would come off at every chance while out training. Was easy for us to get away with it especially when so far away from the Brass.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The majority of the FOBS have become quite nice and obviously burdened by chickensh*t rear ecehelon rules and general BS. Makes one wonder if they are in the same plane of reality as those who actually bring the fight to Ali Baba and Wahabis.
Yeah there's this certain AF base that didn't even want us walking around with our weapons... :wideyes

The folks that EvinL mention , the pougues, are what used to be known as REMF's ( Rear Echelon MotherFu*kers) , are also known as FOBBITS, FOB GOBLINS these days. The ones whose biggest concern is that the AC might be on the fritz or the PX is out of their fav item, etc.. They are big topics of disdain with those who have trigger puller jobs. Same as they always have throughout history. I know I could yarn some good tales about them and their lack of understanding about what their real purpose is.... to support those who pull the trigger.
Hehehe, my px/closet was only open 2hrs a day 3 days a week.

Or as Evin pointed out, those who dwell in FOBS RARELY ever put theirs on, and once inside we were back inside the comparitive safety of the walls to our camp, the Battle Rattle was grounded QUICK and the soft caps came out.
I can't believe how fast I got at dropping my gear after a "walk in the mountains"

·
Unabashed 5.11 Junky
3,866 Posts
MisterToy said:
Would he be out on patrol not wearing his helmet?
He's head a soft cover whenever he was prepared to take a long dirt nap. I honestly don't think I've ever seen pics of anyone, marine or otherwise, not wearing ballistic PPE on their heads.

·
Salaryman Gen
407 Posts
Pivot said:
... I honestly don't think I've ever seen pics of anyone, marine or otherwise, not wearing ballistic PPE on their heads.
You have now! They're wearing their vests, but not their helmets for some reason.

·
Unabashed 5.11 Junky
3,866 Posts
Spyglass1 said:
You have now! They're wearing their vests, but not their helmets for some reason.
I'm pretty sure those weren't taken in Fallujah...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.