One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I agree with actionfiguremovies' recommendation of the Power Team horse, also the Action Man and the Dragon. If you don't need articulation there are some limiteds and quasi-customs. If you don't need articulation plus you want to save some money, or you're making a whole herd, the old Marx Thunderbolt etc. have held up remarkably well (with a little repaint) and can be found quite cheap. Finally the DiD horses are a thing unto themselves -- some love them while others think they look like hairy rats -- you decide.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
I suppose this depends on what you are looking for. I look for a reasonably attractive and realistic sculpt, but I also want articulation for posability (even if that is usually not as critical with horses as with human action figures).

I have three 1/6 scale horses, which I would rank from least to best as follows:

ACI Black War Horse - just statue (which disappointed me)
You can also see it in my Wonder Woman post HERE.

Dragon Toys DX 10 Horse - some leg articulation but no neck articulation. Not sure this is the exact one, but something like the one in the link.

ASMUS Toys White Horse - excellent articulation and probably my favorite. I now wish I had also bought the brown version.

While I realize some of these are no longer easily available, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I actually really like the 303 horses.
Good mix of realistic looks without a complete loss of articulation.
This is one I'm saving in a box for my Bohannon figure, I'll be changing the color a bit.

Current paint and hair looks pretty good and scale is spot on.
The heads tilt a little side to side or up and down.
The mouth opens and 2 of the legs have some articulation.
Though it's very tight when you first get it.

If you google them, you'll see lots of different stances and colors.

Some also come fully geared for curtain time periods or characters.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
From a conformational point of view, the Asmus horse is probably the best of the bunch, the rest (especially the 303 ones I'm afraid - I can't help but cringe whenever I look at its feet) are pretty iffy as far as accuracy is concerned. Other than a slightly wonky foot the old Marx horse is another good option, but might be a bit small for large modern figures.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The biggest complaint about the Asmus horse is the wobbly joints, if you pick a pose and fill them in, the horse is extremely realistic.
Jean Horse Liver Terrestrial animal Working animal Mane

·
!/6 horse maker
76 Posts
I've been working on some for a while, sold a couple to France. More positions to come. They are about a 16hh horse to 1/6th scale so suit 12" figures I am in the UK so postage may be a prohibitive cost factor. This one is a WIP no mane hair yet.

Horse Helmet Working animal Saddle Bit
[/URL][/IMG]

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
The ACI statue horses have a decent sculpt (and you can remove the medieval gear from them easily enough) and have no trouble standing. My Asmus horse isn't particularly wobbly of joints, but it does have problems standing unassisted. I thought it was just this particular one, but I might be wrong. Jean, is the horse in your picture the white Asmus with filled-in joints?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The ACI statue horses have a decent sculpt (and you can remove the medieval gear from them easily enough) and have no trouble standing. My Asmus horse isn't particularly wobbly of joints, but it does have problems standing unassisted. I thought it was just this particular one, but I might be wrong. Jean, is the horse in your picture the white Asmus with filled-in joints?
Yes, it's a white Asmus. I filled in the joints with Apoxy sculpt. I have had Asmus horses that are almost impossible to get them to stand, no matter how you pose the legs, they end up too close together. The first thing I did with the horse in the picture is put pieces of wood in the joints to pull the legs out farther.
Jean

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have just got my old "Scout" Tonto's horse from the Marks lone ranger series and well he measures approx 8" tall or 48" scaled up 12 hands? . A tad small i think

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
I have just got my old "Scout" Tonto's horse from the Marks lone ranger series and well he measures approx 8" tall or 48" scaled up 12 hands? . A tad small i think
Yes, those horses are a tad small, but considering they were really created as toys, as opposed to dead accurate replicas of horses, they are believeable....

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Yes, those horses are a tad small, but considering they were really created as toys, as opposed to dead accurate replicas of horses, they are believeable....
certainly that's true especially where we are dealing with varied living creatures rather than something with an official usmc spec-sheet/blueprint. My guess is that the Marx can be in 1/6 scale representations of the horses, but probably represent the smaller horses of the herd - rather than being outright out of scale. It's probably close either way. I stuck magnets under the hooves of a couple, which makes them rocksteady on a metal surface and also a minimal height increase.

Edit: just noticed this question was about Tonto's Scout from the Lone Ranger series which were 10" figures, and I assume their horses were smaller than the Marx Thunderbolt etc from the 12" Johnny West group. I was thinking of the Marx Johnny West horses in my comment above.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
From a conformational point of view, the Asmus horse is probably the best of the bunch, the rest (especially the 303 ones I'm afraid - I can't help but cringe whenever I look at its feet) are pretty iffy as far as accuracy is concerned. Other than a slightly wonky foot the old Marx horse is another good option, but might be a bit small for large modern figures.
Actually on the 303's, with a little added fur above the hoof, it looks much more realistic.
I did one of mine, I'll have to take some pictures and post them when I get a chance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts