One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

Be cautious and wary when shopping on eBay.

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
You might have a case here DFC! If this was just the difference in quality of the paint job, the seller might be OK, but the " wisp of hair" is going the wrong way! I'd claim the sculpt is not the same as pictured! ��

Thanks for presentng this, as always.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Good luck in any effort to get a refund for this. The basic rule on eBay is "Buyer Beware". That has never changed, even if eBay may not state this as clearly as they did in the past.

I've purchased "custom" heads on eBay that are dead-ringers for the originals; some are that good. I never purchase these heads from vendors that do not show the actual item, and usually from different angles (including the neck socket). In this case, the photo of the actual head is clearly not very close to the original.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Good luck in any effort to get a refund for this. The basic rule on eBay is "Buyer Beware". That has never changed, even if eBay may not state this as clearly as they did in the past.

I've purchased "custom" heads on eBay that are dead-ringers for the originals; some are that good. I never purchase these heads from vendors that do not show the actual item, and usually from different angles (including the neck socket). In this case, the photo of the actual head is clearly not very close to the original.
He has a good case in my opinion. That looks nothing like what is pictured. Like you I look for a sealer who post a actual picture of the product but I still occasionally get burned. Especially with female head sculpts. I hate the ones who hair is so poorly rooted she looks bald
P

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

I agree with Masamune that there's probably a solid case based on the pictures mismatch. The only risk is that the details obvious to our experienced eyes may not be as obvious to the untrained eyes of an E-Bay adjudicator looking at this as one of many other random objects. It would probably be helpful to guide E-Bay with written details on why the heads aren't the same thing rather than saying in the Complaint "Just look!"

"Buyer Beware" only applies to things that a "Buyer Can Be Aware" of, so ie if you misread a subtle product description you're on your own. But if you don't get exactly what was in the advertised picture, how could you have anticipated that? And remedies will follow. Plus let's face it (and it's rough for Sellers) but current E-Bay is heavily skewed towards Buyers anyway.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Best thing to do is look at their feedback, if there's a ton saying "Not what I ordered!" then avoid, avoid, avoid!

CHEERS!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't worry about it too much between the buying protection of eBay and PayPal. Always check condition and accuracy straight away. Message seller and if no response in 24 hours, go straight to the resolution centre. I bought cookware like this recently and I received 'seconds'. Made them eat the shipping to return it all. Sellers like this know they're scamming, and they'll placate the buyers who complain to stay on eBay as long as possible and sell to the ones who don't.

·
Registered
311 Posts
OMG you guys, it's just under bad lighting,bad camera etc... as we all know a professional photography setting can make the difference between day and night on the exact same item! Look at how pixelated the photo is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've seen worse. I guess it depends on how much you paid for it. But still, it(the left) doesn't look like an "in-hand" photo. I've found that if the seller puts up a sweet HS pic, but is to "busy" to give me in hand pics; It's probably not "as described".

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've seen worse. I guess it depends on how much you paid for it. But still, it(the left) doesn't look like an "in-hand" photo. I've found that if the seller puts up a sweet HS pic, but is to "busy" to give me in hand pics; It's probably not "as described".
Same here, I always ask the seller if it's possible for an actual in hand picture.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The picture I posted is courtesy of a fellow OSW member/seller on eBay. He posted it elsewhere to serve as a caution notice for fellow 1:6 collectors.

Many of us know there is a proliferation of China/Hong Kong eBay sellers that use pictures of an actual HT head sculpt to advertise/promote when in reality the head sculpt is a clone/custom/recast.

There has been a noticeable trend and instances where cheap @$$ ugly head sculpts of dubious design and quality are being sold under the guise of bait and switch and it appears to be increasing.

From a mainstream observation, some of us seen it as well. ACPLAY usually uses pictures of the actual HT head sculpts and clothing they are replicating. In the majority of instances, their final in hand design and quality are very good. Last year, they had a very bad run of head sculpts that looked nothing like what was advertised and many took notice. It may have been just a bad run.

The same goes for a variety of small time eBay sellers out to make a quick buck.

If and when in doubt, always ask for a in hand photo.

There are some honest and reliable sellers on eBay as well with a proven track record meaning what they post as pictured is what you'll receive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think it's fair to single out China. My worst EBAY experience was from Kansas. When I got into collecting 1:6 (10 years ago), a seller told me no matter who you buy from, make sure the numbers check out. He was talking about Feedback, time as an EBAY member, shipping etc... I use the same protocol today if I'm buying from the UK, Arizona or China. As an earlier member said, if it looks too good to be true; it probably is. EBAY is what it is.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I don't think it's fair to single out China. My worst EBAY experience was from Kansas. When I got into collecting 1:6 (10 years ago), a seller told me no matter who you buy from, make sure the numbers check out. He was talking about Feedback, time as an EBAY member, shipping etc... I use the same protocol today if I'm buying from the UK, Arizona or China. As an earlier member said, if it looks too good to be true; it probably is. EBAY is what it is.
It's really no different than buying from any retailer, as I've seen many retailers in this space (not limited by geography or where they sell) pass along bunk product, intentionally as well as incidentally. As you mention it comes down to the reputation of the seller and their track record.

As for headsculpts, I wouldn't buy any that don't come from one of the major brands without seeing quality in-hand photos. You'll either get an example like this where a different product altogether is used for the stock photo or a one-off paint master is used to promote the product. The female body/head market seems to have been particularly plagued by this in the past.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
If you find a seller you can trust, stick with them. I've been 100% happy with everything I've had from OneSixthKit/iyyiyy. Their stuff is all as seen.

CHEERS!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts