One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, good people.

I have been buying Phicen / TBL bodies like hotcakes! Hotcakes!

However, being new to 1/6 scale as well as new to these particular figures, I'm quite clueless as to which brands and models of heads will work for what bodies and their variable skin tones. There appears to be no end to the variation - nor logic by which to make some measure of it.

Most specifically, I recently ordered a "Skarah" body and a "Fighter Woman" body, but I've no idea which heads / hands / feet might work with these figures.

In short; what have I just purchased?

Any suggestions for completing these would be greatly appreciated...

Many thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'd usually get the heads 1st, based on the characters I'm trying to build, then find the body match.

There are plenty of TBL skin tone matches available. Kimi, GAC, DS Toys, YM Toys, Peak Toys, ZC Toys(not all- some match the Jiaou doll tones).

Note: Super Duck HS tones tend to be a little off when comparing with TBL tones.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Martian! Your advice about getting the heads before the bodies is most appreciated.

Unfortunately, I had just sort of went off on these figures; once I discovered the Phicen bodies, I lost my damn mind. I purchased a few base bodies and a few heads and held my breath. I have not yet received all of the products that I've ordered, so it remains to be seen whether or not I have adequately matching parts.

I have read that Kumik heads are yellowish, and to avoid them (or, at least, to avoid attempts to match them with Phicen bodies); that much is duly noted, and probably why you excluded them from your list.

Regarding the brands that you've specifically mentioned; it's all so overwhelming...

For instance, the "Skarah" body which I've yet to receive will likely require a paler head sculpt, being that she is a Valkyrie - or does it simply not follow as such? In any case, I cannot visually determine which heads have which skin tones.

Could you (or anyone else, for that matter) make a few specific suggestions for Skarah? Also, for the "Fighter Woman" as well?

Thanks again for your assistance, Martian. I sincerely appreciate your time. I have been, for the past month, asking myself: "Self, what have you gotten you into here?" The reply has been invariable: "Shut up, me! Just keep buying you that candy."

:loony

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a Skarah the Valkyrie. It is a standard TBL suntan body. If u looked through the above mentioned brands on ebay, the best bet where u can't go wrong at this point is from Kimi, GAC & Peak Toys.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Another option if you receive a head which doesn't match a TBLeague body is Jiaou Doll, they manufacture figures with 6 different skin tones, even one to match the weird Kumik...an added bonus is Jiaou Dolls are shipped with a variety of neck posts, because you'll find variations there, too, and Kumik's neck connectors are unusual to say the least.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greetings and many thanks again for the information, Martian. That is all very helpful, and I've already put it to use on eBay. Slim pickings for the PEAK brand there, though.

And what can you tell me about these interesting Wondery Lover brand head sculpts?

Also, I am quite relieved to learn that Skarah is a "Suntan" tone; my experience thus far has been that the "Pale" tone is actually more aptly "Ghastly Pallid!" - with seemingly far fewer choices among the available head sculpts that might be of any interest to me. I believe I'll stick to the tans.

I'm hoping that both Skarah and Fighter Woman will have biological details, as well.

Many thanks to you, too, Goobikza!

You have now both mentioned the Jiaou Doll brand - but are these little betties truly comparable in durability? And what about in anatomical detail?

Please allow me to add that my requisites for body type (apart from the aforementioned human skin tones) are and ever shall be:

1) Steel Skeleton… It simply seems to regard a greater measure of playability.

2) Detailed Anatomy… (Disclaimer: It's just a matter of realism to me. Why go through the trouble of concealing joints with seamless skin if the figures are going to be oddly lacking their stuff? Give me the groove, for mercy's sake! I'm an adult. I'd hoped for actual orifices, but apparently we're not ready for that sort of thing. Oddly enough, however, I have noted that Phicen's male counterparts are downright graphic - perhaps even gratuitous - but which is equally entirely acceptable, in my opinion… Indeed, realism! Thoroughly, through and throughout!).

3) Detachable Feet… I believe that we have more options for footwear this way, no? Not to mention that somewhat irksome inability for the attached-feet types to properly stand, or so I've heard.

Unfortunately, I yet cannot quite grasp Phicen's coding for such model specifics; it seems like it's just a discombobulating disaster.

Finally, has anyone any suggestions for a decent alternate head sculpt for the "Fighter Woman" body?

Thank you both again, kindly and very sincerely, for all your help, fellas. Were it not for your gracious responses here I'd be talking to tumbleweeds…

:blah

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wondery has both pale and suntan hs that match TBL tones, according to past OSW postings I've seen. I think they produce more pale sculpts.

Jiaou uses a composite metal and plastic skeleton, from what I've examined. The great thing is that it covers skin tones that TBL doesn't. The down side, in terms of durability is that, the outer layer tends to peel if u r not careful with your fingernails. I have pointed this out to DaisyRain, who is the rep of the company. Otherwise, it provides a more asian type MB body type, besides the LB and now the Euro type body. I've posted some pics here:
Which JIAOUDOL should I try for Ada Wong & Sheva?

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Martian. Yes, indeed, I'll look into these...

Which head is that on the far left of your photo there, on the "Number 6, Black" Jiaou? That's a humdinger.

I couldn't help but notice that the hands for a few figures are a shade light, though. Is that some sort of issue with the brand, or merely your quick picks for the photo op?

Much obliged!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Which head is that on the far left of your photo there, on the "Number 6, Black" Jiaou? That's a humdinger.
That's a Ann Hatheway head sculpt either from Hot Toys original Catwoman, or a knock-off from So-Toys.

Actually, after making some comparisons with my original HT Catwoman (Ann Hatheway) hs, it seems to match better with the Jiaou KT004 Wheat rather than the Wheat. I posted this one before. The photo colour tends to be a little deceiving, but in-hand the above is so.

Left: Jiaou KT004 Wheat, Mid: Hot Toys Catwoman, Right: Jiaou Wheat

That's why I scratch my head when I look at those comparison photos of the black tone from Jiaou Doll. I was told by other OSW members previously that the black tone is actually rather grey.

I couldn't help but notice that the hands for a few figures are a shade light, though. Is that some sort of issue with the brand, or merely your quick picks for the photo op?
There is some minor tonal difference due to difference of material and texture between arm and hand, leg and feet.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've never experienced the problems with the Jiaou doll skin that others seemingly have, only problem I've had it the skin split open at the elbow, but that happened to one of TBLeague figures, too. I attribute it to rough handling by my giant meathook hands plus the dry climate of Colorado where I live. Jiaou Doll's KT004 wheat color will probably match most of the aftermarket heads you can find. TBLeague's skin tones are the best match with TBLeague heads since they changed the flesh tones a few years ago. As far as anatomical correctness goes, the Jiaou dolls are pretty detailed upstairs and down. They have version without removable feet, but I believe those are all older plastic armature versions.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,930 Posts
Be prepared for some hard learned lessons like many of us learned.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Greetings again, OSW! Please pardon my delayed replies...

Gentlemen, indeed, that is all very helpful information - if so with caveats in refrain - which are certainly well-received.

Martian, thank you for the photos, and for your insight.

I must admit that, in the short time that I've been involved with this activity, I have already grown quite accustomed to the relative quality of the TBL / Phicen brand, and would be wary of anything even slightly inferior. It's just that I have heard myriad unpleasant incidents wherein joints have pierced the "skin" of figures - and fingernails posing a threat is terribly daunting, since most articles are snug and do require a fair bit of pinching and nipping to adjust them into proper position. I have been taking painstaking care to avoid any misfortune, and have thus far been successful in that regard.

Other miscellaneous matters, however, continue to confound me as a novice, and your most general advice, DFC, is duly noted; I appreciate your candor, and thank you.

And yes, Reaver, ditto! The heads shall be abounding.

Overall, this scale yet seems to me to be, in many ways, the most merciful when compared to other sizes. While the camera is certainly no less forgiving, the detailing itself is a breezy reprieve coming from working with HO and even 1/18 scales.

Goob, on the positive, and with regard to dexterity; your proverbial "meat hooks" ought to serve you well in other areas, respectfully... Have you, by chance, considered lumberjacking on the side?

Probably not ideal for scrimshaw; but hey, whaling…

Perhaps handball?

Lots of wonderful options, really. Just assure me you're not a surgeon so that I might sleep soundly. :rolling

I thank you, each and all, very sincerely, for your experienced responses and advice. I take it all to heart.

By the way, everything pertaining to this craft seems most available via mail-order from Asia. Apparently, approximately 3 - 6 weeks by rickshaw, so I've yet to receive any more of my orders since my last battery of questions.

When my new items finally do begin to arrive, I will surely have inquiries for which I will again seek your sage counsel, and I hope that you will all continue to be as generous with your personal experiences as you have been.

Many thanks again!

Until then…

Live and breathe, you damn'ed doll! Live and breathe!

:dizzy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.