One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I know all pastels work equally good.
But for you painters out there what do you think are the best brand for pastels?

I seen the prismacolor pastels, but theyre so expensive I was wondering if they're any better?

What pastels are the best???

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Art terms, Prismacolor's at the top of the foodchain, [or at least toted to be so] but really whatever works for you should do just fine, from NuPastel to Alphacolour to the kiddie sets.

Since you're grinding it down anyway, invest in a little watercolour cell box or 7-day pill box for the excess shavings and a stick should last you a while.

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
Just be sure to look for ones that are soft pastels. Soft pastels typically have more pigment and less binder in them. They crumble easier and aren't so good for drawing lines or details. For 1/6 purposes they work very well as you'll want to powder them anyway. Hard pastels are better for line drawings and such on canvas and have less pigment and more "filler" in them.

About the best comparison I could make is that "hard" pastels are more like chalk and "soft" pastels are more like women's makeup in a compact or something like that.

You can get a box of 24 colors (half sticks I believe) for about $10 or so at most art stores (I picked mine up at AC Moore, but Michael's has a lot also). Prices vary of course by location. :) You can also get a smaller package for less money. You can also find a few specific colors and a full stick might cost you a couple dollars (decent acrylic paints and decent pastels I've found run about the same cost per stick/bottle).

I personally would steer clear of oil pastels though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts