One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I been working on my Force Recon Marine Desert Storm Era. What Sun Glasses where used by US Soldiers? The only one I can think of was the Rayban Aviators that a BBI Figure had.

Talk to me guys.

Uswin.

·
I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
5,758 Posts
Back then, before Oakley and Wiley-X......believe it or not, they used Gargoyles.

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
I dont remember ever being issued sunglass's but then again the Marine Corps was cheap
Reglulations stated the sun glass's could be worn as long as they were black rimmed and the glass's part was non-mirrored

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I wore Raybans during Desert Storm (commanded a rifle company). Gargoyles were the "issue" glasses but from my experience they were rarely worn. They were about $80 per back then which is like $300 today. Troops didn't spend that money on "glasses" back then. Sensitivity to eye injuries just wasn't was it is today and you couldn't wear them under your "issue" sund wind dust goggles.

Another aspect is that gargoyles were not common issue for units (special forces like today had a different supply channel). For those that could get them issued they were worn sparingly because if you broke/lost them you were liable for it. First time I saw gargoyles commonly used was late 90's working with the 82nd and 101st. BTW, the best 1/6 gargoyles I think come from BBI's Cobra.

I would check with some of the marines here or look for photos from that period. Unlike today the Marine supply system was slower than the Army's in general.

Now those were the facts. Gargoyles were technically in theatre, but Ray Bans were much more common.

Hope that helps.

·
I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
5,758 Posts
Arnold wore Gargoyles in the FIRST TERMINATOR.
They aren't very big ...or ugly.

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
Like Major Rob I wore non-issued Ray-Ban Wayfarers but like I said non one I remember were issued sun-glasses though some who wore prescription glasses and had a medical reason got to get sunglass BC's (Birth Control) military glasses

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That what my Cousin wore for a short time in Desert Storm was the Wayfarers. Or so the picture I saw. What figure had the Wayfarers???? I can't remember?

·
Likes little people
1,617 Posts
there was a 70's issue that was still around in GW1- can't remember the name but they came in a cheap plastic case and had adjustable ear holders- I gave some I found in supply to my platoon in 88 or 89- bet I still have a pair somewhere-I'll look around

1 - 11 of 11 Posts