One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ordered some of the type that hold the figure around the waist from Monkey Depot. I did have some that grabbed around the upper thigh but those were horrible. The Y shaped stand, IMHO, gives the figure a boner and I think it takes away from the figure. I also think that the stand can be a pain if it doesn't have a large enough base which means that smaller bases won't allow for creative posing of the figure.

·
My friends call me Ray
7,844 Posts
That depends on the use and the figure. I like Y-shape stand as it is easy to use. It is convenient when you are working on the figure. The waist type stand is good when the figure is wearing skirt. Personally I like the stand below. It is very good for photo shooting posing. It can be used like a waist type stand. The spine thing can be adjusted to any angle.

·
I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
5,758 Posts
The best I've seen were at this year's WOH.....they are both a variation of the "Y" stand but better. One was done by Toy Soldier, the other was done by CalTek.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
I have been using one like this, but want more. Any one see these anywhere, and know where to get them? I use the same waist style stands now and again too, but they always seen to alter the position of how the outfits fit, leaving little grooves.

mgbb - where do you get the ball jointed stands?

Attachments

·
DO NOT READ THIS SENTENCE
2,235 Posts
I know this is slightly off topic, but when i bought my hot toys Apone fig (aliens) the top part of the stand was missing, you know the bit with the metal in that goes round the waist. Anyone know where i can get a new one? Ive tried ebay but with no luck.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
The original DiD "Y" stands are far superior than the newer CalTek version. I find that in the newer version that the Y is too large and does provide a sort of external boner look. Also, with the size of the Y, it doesnt really grip, just generally provides a loose leaning post, they are also very difficult to adjust the height on. If you can get the older Y stands (with the holding part kind of more shaped like a small U) then get em. I suppose that the real gist of your question depends on whether you want a posing stand, or a solid support for your guys. If you only need a nice stand up display, the Y's from CalTek are just fine.

·
Banned
4,284 Posts
The bendy stands looks good, but become very loose with time - I ended throwing mine away. Hot Toys released nice stands stands with their Copperhead figures - they are a cross between regular waist stand shown above and Y stands...

I used small Kaiser stands that grab the figure by the ankle. Very nice, but base is not big enough to give support for some action poses.

The best stand IMO is a custom one. Take a round wooden block and attach piano wire (or some other metal wire that does not bend easily) to it and then run the wire through the boot in to the figure's foot.

Alexei

·
BioChem Division
1,207 Posts
I ended throwing mine away
nooooooooooo!!! LOL, aw man. aside from stands the joints in the bendy part are very useful for body mods.

and as with all ball joints, one way of tightening the fit is to coat the ball end with a medium to heavy viscosity CA glue, let it dry and refit it into the ball cup.
another way to increase friction in the ball joint is to scratch up both surfaces with coarse sandpaper. many times this causes the ball ends to almost "stick" in place because of the lack of smooth gliding movement (not particularly ideal for a figure stand anyway). this is essentially giving the ball joints "arthritis".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts