One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Unit Commander 316th SOC
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for this post for any of you that are happy with the way things are, but after being away for a couple years, and just now getting a chance to get caught up on things, I have to say, I just miss the "Warriors" part of OSW, which seems to be fading fast.

Maybe I'll take another couple years off and hope things turn around in the meantime. :doh

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,843 Posts
We discuss 1:6 "warriors", but the site in reflective of the current state of the 1:6 hobby in terms of other "themes" as well.

There will always be discussion pertaining the greatest and latest 1:6 military offerings of the past and present (and future) as well as non-military offerings.

Some have moved on due to the proliferation of very niche specific interests that can be found online through other groups as a formal forum or even through Facebook.

The site changed, but the members (IMHO) for the most part have continued to stay and it's the membership that is the heart and soul of any discussion group regardless of how the front end of the visual, design, and function changes and goes through growing pains.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Sorry for this post for any of you that are happy with the way things are, but after being away for a couple years, and just now getting a chance to get caught up on things, I have to say, I just miss the "Warriors" part of OSW, which seems to be fading fast.

Maybe I'll take another couple years off and hope things turn around in the meantime. :doh
I would have to agree with your now deleted comment regarding the NSFW content spilling into the general forum. That is more of an issue for those of us with young kids however.

Otherwise the forum probably has more female figure interest as there are some very helpful and knowledgeable members here who help address the issues that crop up with female figure care, compatibility, etc. Most military forums have died in recent years, with users moving towards more image friendly mediums such as facebook and instagram which cater better to newer users and those looking for a narrower subject matter.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I would have to agree with your now deleted comment regarding the NSFW content spilling into the general forum. That is more of an issue for those of us with young kids however.

Otherwise the forum probably has more female figure interest as there are some very helpful and knowledgeable members here who help address the issues that crop up with female figure care, compatibility, etc. Most military forums have died in recent years, with users moving towards more image friendly mediums such as facebook and instagram which cater better to newer users and those looking for a narrower subject matter.
I've brought up the NSFW stuff popping up on the regular board before. You would have thought I kicked a puppy or something with how offended some members got. The board and collectors in general have changed in my time here and it's not the layout of the board either.

·
1/6 Hoarder
1,352 Posts
I won't comment on the NSFW stuff or the shift of this forum from military to more fantasy/whatever-Hot Toys-is-doing. If that's the direction so be it. I'd rather that happen than see the forum die off completely.

I lurked for a couple of years and joined in 2006. OSW was one of the only English 1/6 forums on the net that catered to modern military rather than Vietnam or WWII. I think the boards were much more active back then in general but lately I have started to wonder in retrospect if the surge in modern military popularity was fueled by current events.

At that time, there were two major conflicts were at their peak in the Middle East that involved most of the major NATO forces. There was a lot of coverage in media and 'inspiration' (for lack of a better term) for 1/6 manufacturers. I wonder if it's coincidental that the modern military aspect of the 1/6 hobby has somewhat died down (in comparison to the mid 2000s) with the lowered western involvement in those conflicts or if it simply burned itself out.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something,but I think there is still plenty of warrior content. The fact is the KOTM is predominately warrior themed. I still see military themed posts from Modern, Ww1and 2, Vietnam, the crusades. Sure there are more posts with Phicen females and some fantasy figures, there is more interest in this niche,it's not my thing but I enjoy the variety here. I like seeing what other people are in to. Want more warriors? Post some. The NSFW section has been around a long time, if you check the posts they go back to 2009. So really it's nothing new. I'm not sure I see where the nsfw section is bleeding in to the general section,unless I missed something lately. I think the mods do a darn good job of catching that sort of thing. I still really enjoy OSW, much more than I did 13 plus years ago when I first joined.

·
blistering barnacles
600 Posts
It's the same old problem with the same old cure: if you want the discussion to change to what you want, you have to post. Asking people to talk about what you want to read about never works.

Problem with what you're concerned about is there's not a ton of 1/6 boards in English and the major other one(sideshowfreaks) has some issues. So a lot of the people turned off from that board post here. And not everyone is into military figures.

Maybe it's time to split the board into two 1/6 sections - military and general interest - but I feel like that wouldn't really increase the amount of discussion of military stuff. I think a lot of people like me click on stuff that looks interesting regardless of the main concentration of their niche, because it's side by side with the stuff they find more interesting. I like some military stuff but I probably wouldn't check a military-only board every day.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
As a long term member, going on 13 years, I have to agree with Archangel6. I remember when the forum was 95% military, and it was a joy to log on and read all the threads and look at the pics, both of boxed sets and kitbashes. I have to say it is truly a shame that so many pictures from way back when are now lost; whenever I do a search and see the threads without pics, it is with sad eyes and sorrow.

Personally, I never was or will ever be a fan of whatever the latest Phicen or HT's umpteenth version of Iron Man is. Never cared for sci-fi figures or the latest movie/video-game figure at all. However, if there's something that has kept me coming back to the OSW all these years is that it has been a welcoming forum for the hobby, an inclusive not exclusive site that welcomes everyone as long as you play nice in the sandbox. And nowadays that means all those figures/posts/bashes that I have no interest in. What to do? Look at the title, and move on until the next post that interests me. I try as much as possible not to post negative comments, though it still irks me to the nth power that companies make some of the $#!+ that we see these days and yet we don't have so many non-US militaries (especially Canadians) represented in the hobby. Plus the occasional comment on the latest "tactical ho" just for laughs...

Yes, nowadays you see a whole lot of female, sci-fi and other stuff that I suspect many like me don't care for. But there is still quite a few warriors out there. I have seen great military bashes based on current conflicts such as Crimea, Dagestan etc, as well as those based on the continued US involvement in Afghanistan.

I hope the military/warrior part of the OSW keeps going strong for many years. Because the day it is lost it will be sadly my last day as a member. Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Gotta say that though I registered in 2008, I've been lurking more than posting here because I was never interested in the military theme. I don't even open posts that say warfare for lack of interest.
Mostly, I post on SSF but since I find the company here more congenial, I tend to come here more often now, but still, my love remains primarily for general 1/6 and movies in particular. I guess that "warrior" can be considered a pretty generic term in that niche, but I can understand why purists are disappointed.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
I have kind of the opposite problem in that military stuff doesn't interest me at all. I can appreciate a good custom or diorama, but it's just not a topic that interests me...well, unless it's far enough back in military history where swords are involved because swords are awesome.

I still think it would be nice to have more divisions/subtopics in the forum as everything gets lumped into the same area which is a pain to sort through if you're looking for something specific.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I feel exactly the same as you. I also like swords, or medieval Japan. I think, to some extent, that I can even feel a little interest for WWII, but modern warfare leaves me completely cold. Probably because it's our daily life and if you can somehow romanticize something from the past and see the heroics more than the bloodshed, when something is contemporary, it's much more difficult to do so....

·
i draw pictures.....
2,041 Posts
variety is the spice of life. i don't care one bit for female figures or whatever the hell phicen is, BUT this is the place to see pretty much anything and everything and i can appriciate that, even though my interests are purely ww2, korean, 1930s civil wars and some 'nam..now. the other forums, to a certain extent have slowed down considerably while this one keeps on 'ticking'.

namaste
miguel

·
Registered
968 Posts
Regardless of whether your a fan of military figures (old school) or sci-fi/comic figures (new school), we all need and learn from each other. I'm a new school and would have been 100 percent clueless about how to properly customize my figures without the knowledge of the old schools (thank you! ). And the recent improvements in 1/6 scale figures, (I'm assuming) helps the old schoolers preserve and upgrade their work. Happy Holidays!!

·
1/6 Hoarder
1,352 Posts
Agree with a lot being said. I'll add a positive note in addition to what I posted earlier. Despite any criticism about this message board, I have always felt it was one of the most welcoming, respectful, and mature internet communities I've been a part of. That has changed very little since I've joined. Kudos to the OSW staff.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Agree with a lot being said. I'll add a positive note in addition to what I posted earlier. Despite any criticism about this message board, I have always felt it was one of the most welcoming, respectful, and mature internet communities I've been a part of. That has changed very little since I've joined. Kudos to the OSW staff.
:clap:agree:agree:agree:agree:agree:clap:clap:clap

·
Registered
956 Posts
Man, it's terrible when you leave a community like this for years and when you come back, everyone else hasn't kept it exactly the same. If only there was a way where everything could exist on the same board, and you could only click on the threads that interested you, and gloss over the threads that didn't. Or where you had the ability to start threads, contributing to the content that you wanted to see. Since the site is going through all of these upgrades, maybe you could convince them to implement something like that.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
I think you have to go with the flow and accept that what is out there now won't be going away anytime soon. A look at KOTM is an assurance that the warriors haven't gone anywhere and continue to go from strength to strength.

OSW seems to be able to weather and adapt and will be around for some time to come

CHEERS!

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
When I was a kid 1/6-ther, I phased in and out of Military Stuff, probably for superficial kid reasons. Sometimes I didn’t have a choice if vintage Joes and Marx Stony were pretty much all there was in ancient times until Mike Hazard and Captain Action came along. I was always into Super-Heroes and science fiction, but even there, I still got 1/6 WW2 GI Joes to hang with Captain America, and current army to be rescued by Superman. In my experience no dividing line of Military vs Pop Culture was carved in stone.

On OSW every once in a while there’s calls to segregate the Military from the Pop Culture stuff. I think OSW does just fine until someone pushes the issue and gets all “you got your chocolate in my peanut butter!” For one thing, any thread that’s about bodies, techniques, dioramas, or bashing skills will interest everybody. And I think we all admire any good figure, regardless of context or whether it fits into our own specific collections.

Also I think it’s been determined that OSW is pretty much driven by the General Discussion recent posts list (and maybe the new announcements front page) -- so that any actual segregation loses readers. IMHO “Post only in the appropriate section” would be an interest killer. If somebody really feels like they only ever want to see “Sergeant Smith” and with no risk of ever clicking on “Super-Joe,” I think this is best handled at the stage of New Thread Labels. I guess I wouldn’t even mind if the OSW redesign made a Thread Label mandatory, as a harmless form of Military vs Pop Culture identification, but with no outright separation.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts