One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

Please don't turn this into a gripe fest.

Be constructive and honest on your rationale/reasons why you're turned off by a specific 1:6 brand/manufacturer?

Is it price?

Is it not worth the money in terms of design/durability/quality?

They offer nothing innovative or new?

Is it their lack of engagement with 1:6 collectors through a proper customer service channel, social media, etc.

Are they just too big and completely ignorant/oblivious to customer feedback?

Are what they producing simply . . . sucks @$$?

Overzealous collectors loyal/supporting a brand blindly? I have experience regarding this and cringe about it to this very day.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I am going to say it has to be price. me personally I judge a figure by what I paid for it. take for example the Hot Toys Superman from Batman Vs Superman with shipping and handling I paid almost 260 for the darn thing and the articulation was horrible for what I paid for it now if that figure had been under a hundred I doubt I would have been disappointed. I love the Knightmare Batman but the articulation has much to be desired. Dam and Soldier Story figures are reaching close to the 200+ mark. both make excellent clothes and gear, but at the price they are asking I would expect a much better body underneath those BDU's. If you are going to charge those prices I expect a figure with the pose ability of the Phicen M-34 .I doubt I will buy a box set from any of the previous mentioned no time in the future and that includes Easy and Simple whose figures that will soon be two hundred dollar. I can say this about Phicen the charge me 80.00 for a body that had no head, no clothes or gear but that M-34 may be the best figure I own to date, best money I have ever spent on anything 1/6th.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
The use (and more importantly, ongoing reuse) of known defective parts. If a mistake is made, it shouldn't be transferred to the consumer, at least if a brand hopes to grow or earn the goodwill of customers.

·
Registered
384 Posts
For me it's the difference in the prototype and the end result.I no longer trust any company to deliver a great product all of them seem mediocre to me. I see a new product come out and there I am slobbering all over myself,then reason takes over and do not pre-order,but wait. I usually wait for monkey depot to part figures out and put together whatever I want at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
My number one turn-off with a specific manufacturer/studio: arrogance and cynical exploitation of their consumers, especially when they are being taken advantage of in the license context. They decide what the figure can cost -- because they know how much a devoted fan of that license will be prepared to pay -- and only secondarily even caring about the thing itself. They don't bother to make it any better than just a passionless minimum standard.

And you can probably guess which manufacturer is the poster child for this, but I'll keep the name out to avoid making this a pure studio-bashing post. If you recognize whom I am mainly talking about, that will make my point for me.

·
Tiger I Info Center
1,045 Posts
For me it is poor quality control. I feel like it is a crap shoot sometimes when I buy a figure. Will the eyes be painted on cross-eyed? Will a pocket or insignia be put on upside down? Will a piece of the set be missing? I've experienced all of these and more. It's almost to the point that I'm afraid to open the box when an item arrives.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I know to a lot of you I sound like a cheap skate, but I am not honestly. if I thought what I was getting was worth the price you would not hear me say one word. we never truly get our money worth with a figure, because if we did how would the manufacturer and the retailer make their money? all I ask is at least give me the illusion that my money was well spent. the Original T-2 was the second high end figure I bought. the first was the brother production Killer Tom. the first I had reservation, but the T-2 I had no problem with the money I spent. since then I have bought very few figure 150+ that I thought was worth what I paid. Lesson learned now I am very careful what I buy. I really want the Three A Michonne figure, but my gut instinct tell me if I buy it I am going to regret it, so I guess for now it is the M-34, Phicen muscular female bodies, (not really digging on their box sets no the price since I generally use nothing but the body) Head sculpts and loose parts.

some of us do not want the base, nor the fancy box that we are charge for. why can't we get a manufacturer who will give us the option of buying the figures without the base or the fancy box and lower the price for those who choose that option and for the serious collectors give them the box the base and charge them extra.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
For me it is poor quality control. I feel like it is a crap shoot sometimes when I buy a figure. Will the eyes be painted on cross-eyed? Will a pocket or insignia be put on upside down? Will a piece of the set be missing? I've experienced all of these and more. It's almost to the point that I'm afraid to open the box when an item arrives.
That is pretty much how it feels to be a retailer as well. The peculiar thing is it costs very little to actually have QC checks put in on a factory level and quite a few OEMs are actively selling their B stock/no good/rejects defects to dealers in China (most of whom are turning it around as "new") so one wonders why so little value is put in this, looking at it from a long term business point of view. Self-inflicted wounds as they say.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
masamune said:
Dam and Soldier Story figures are reaching close to the 200+ mark. both make excellent clothes and gear, but at the price they are asking I would expect a much better body underneath those BDU's. If you are going to charge those prices I expect a figure with the pose ability of the Phicen M-34.I doubt I will buy a box set from any of the previous mentioned no time in the future and that includes Easy and Simple whose figures that will soon be two hundred dollar. I can say this about Phicen the charge me 80.00 for a body that had no head, no clothes or gear but that M-34 may be the best figure I own to date, best money I have ever spent on anything 1/6th.
The average body with a military/off brand movie style figure is a $5-8 BOM cost item. The don't really contribute much to the overall price of said figures relative to the MSRP. The bigger problem with MSRPs these days are the cost of logistics and distribution, which makeup a considerable portion of that MSRP. Something up more upscale body wise would be 3-5x that cost. For a military figure it makes no sense to increase that as the boxed figure prices are already a turn off and most of the designs (double jointed elbows) are articulated enough for the market.

The better way to address this would be gear set offerings, which frankly given the way logistics are these days and how bad some base bodies can be makes more sense to me. I think most of the brands could do well reissuing some of the older figures that way, especially when you factor in how many boxed figures are ending up as dead stock on the brand end these days. I've found it odd that the model has made sense for the female product market but less so for the male.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
The average body with a military/off brand movie style figure is a $5-8 BOM cost item. The don't really contribute much to the overall price of said figures relative to the MSRP. The bigger problem with MSRPs these days are the cost of logistics and distribution, which makeup a considerable portion of that MSRP. Something up more upscale body wise would be 3-5x that cost. For a military figure it makes no sense to increase that as the boxed figure prices are already a turn off and most of the designs (double jointed elbows) are articulated enough for the market.

The better way to address this would be gear set offerings, which frankly given the way logistics are these days and how bad some base bodies can be makes more sense to me. I think most of the brands could do well reissuing some of the older figures that way, especially when you factor in how many boxed figures are ending up as dead stock on the brand end these days. I've found it odd that the model has made sense for the female product market but less so for the male.
B

Believe me I have suggested many times that companies like Dam, SS, and easy and simple should offer their products as gear set offering . With a price point similar to very hot, but if I am to be honest my feelings is if they don't just leaves more money in my pockets. No longer will I spend the kind of money that companies are asking for box sets. I am perfectly fine buying phicen male and female bodies and building figures I love

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
My complaint is a lack of research and then dismissal of enthusiast input when items are previewed. It costs just as much to produce an inaccurate item as it does to produce an accurate one, so why not do it right to begin with? And it's not like they have to have a massive reference library, a 1:1 collection or paid experts on call. There is an ample amount of research material available for free on the internet and there are plenty of knowledgeable hobbyists that would provide their expertise and keep it private for a nominal fee or compensation in the way of production samples when items are released. KGB Hobby did that when they were producing items by getting input from forum member Daewon_ton and they produced some outstanding products. Do your friggin research!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't really have anything against any particular manufacturer. If it's subject I like, the quality looks OK and the price isn't too bad, I'll buy from almost anyone. I don't have any Hot Toys figures, not because I have any objection to their products, I just haven't come across one of their figures that appeals to me. My kind of price cutoff is around $200-$230 but I would go a little higher for one of my "Grail" figures. Which, now that I've got (and am looking forward to getting) the TOS Star Trek figures, may be limited to US WWII pilots or astronauts.

I look at current pricing for figures as a natural progression of the hobby. The figures, in general, have gotten better, with better sculpts, accessories and clothing--and the prices have gone up. While I'd rather pay less-like $30-$60 in the old days, I'd rather have the higher quality figures we're getting now days.

I have lots of reasons not to buy a particular figure, but it's very seldom the company making the figure.

Tom FJ

·
Registered
604 Posts
My number one turn-off with a specific manufacturer/studio: arrogance and cynical exploitation of their consumers, especially when they are being taken advantage of in the license context. They decide what the figure can cost -- because they know how much a devoted fan of that license will be prepared to pay -- and only secondarily even caring about the thing itself. They don't bother to make it any better than just a passionless minimum standard.

And you can probably guess which manufacturer is the poster child for this, but I'll keep the name out to avoid making this a pure studio-bashing post. If you recognize whom I am mainly talking about, that will make my point for me.
I'm pretty sure we're thinking of the same company. I came to make a similar comment about them, but I don't need to because you covered it all.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hands down-The $$$$$!!! Personally, I dont need fancy packaging and lots of promo pics et-just a quality figure.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Well, I find that Hot Toys female bodies have a couple of issues I wish they'd address--the wrist pegs are way too fragile. Seems like it would be an easy fix. I also not a big fan of when they alternate between ankle balls and pegs. Sometimes I come across a HT female body- at a good price--only to discover that this one has the peg design instead of ankle ball--which most of their releases seem to go with--and what all my bash bin boots and shoes are fitted for. I mean, why even switch it up like that. Not a big deal I guess, but I like all the stuff I bash with to be compatible with each other--makes the build easier. Sure, I could get a bunch of peg stuff--but since most of their releases are ball design--I just cant afford that...
Anyway--stronger wrist design and stick with an ankle design would go a long way for me.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WEARING CAPT. OBLIVIOUS HAT . . .

EH . . . UH . . . WELL . . .

Who is the 1:6 brand/manufacturer/studio? I can think of possibly three that fits the MO.

Don't post it.

Please send it to me by PM. I had a couple of hard apple ciders and I'm feeling . . . I don't know what I'm feeling.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
It's a combination of things. Pricing, the followers and everyone else that seems to think they have to imitate them, thus flooding the market with cheap copies of something that, apart from price, was cheap anyway. There's also clickbait marketing, hooking people in with amazing quality one off promo figures that everyone STILL blindly pre-orders as if under the sad illusion that they will get exactly that figure come release day. Forums populated by these devotees do get irksome too, they won't hear anything negative about their products, anything not akin to the word of their lord and master is blasphemy or heresy.

I want to be somewhere like here, where we can tell it how it really is

CHEERS!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think given what goes into production of a figures, especially the painting of the head sculpt, they are not overpriced given the labour input. If these were made in Western Europe, they would be several times more expensive for the same process.

My frustration isn't directed at any one company. It's more industry wide. There is a conventionality and repetitiveness to much of 1/6 especially in the superhero genre. The companies seem stuck in superheroes, military and sexy ladies. There's nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice to see more variety and innovation of subject matter. They are missing entire groups of potential customers. They listen only to the people who collect these genres, so it's a vicious circle.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I refuse to buy Hot Toys figures based on their price. There is no need for it.
I recently bought the QMx Doctor McCoy figure - screen accurate, excellent likeness, great underlying body and highly detailed screen accurate accessories - less than £160 for the exclusive version. Even the most basic Hot Toys figure runs at well over £250 in the UK... there's really no need for that.

I don't want to bash HT, but I can't see how Marty McFly could cost more than Captain Kirk - do HT pay more for their licences? Is their manufacturing process more costly? Very strange... but that's why I point blank refuse to buy any HT figures - to me they simply aren't worth the asking price.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts