One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the closest to 1/6 metal working I've ever gotten has been making chain mail. I've been wanting to make scale (lorica squamata) and lorica sementata but don't know where to start.

what gauge of sheet metal is the most workable for 1/6 scale?
what brand of shears to cut it would best to use?
how the hell do i go about punching tiny holes into it? would simply hammering away get the job done or would some sort drill be required?

same goes for the tiny rivets that need to go into the sementata to hold it together at places. I'm guessing some sort of thick wire might do the trick but is there a better way of making the rivets?

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
A number of members have made armour from soda can metal. I figure you could use a decent pair of small, curved and straight cuticle scissors to cut like mini-shears.
plump even made armour from putty - http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...ays-his-debts-tyrion-lannister-completed.html

There's all manner of small metal punches out there, at hobby, craft, and too supplies. As for rivets, lots of possibilities. I like your soft, small gauge wire idea. Get a small anvil (or even a small piece of thick flat stock from a local metal outfit), and a small hammer. You could even experiment with drilling shallow depressions in the block, which could be used to form the rivet heads.

Hopefully, some of our scale armourers will speak out.

Mike

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've tried plate armour before but never finished, and recently I've been working with thin stainless steel & brass to make funrniture for a 1:1 sword scabbard.

While working on the 1/6 plate, I used just thin sheet metal from a local hardware store, not sure of guage or thickness. I used a small ball peen hammer and a piece of hardwood. On one side of the hardwood I chiseled or routed a groove and a round indentation. I used the round the hammer and the indentations to shape the metal. Trial & error.

I've been working on a 1/1 sword scabbard throat and chape ( I think those are the right terms anyway) out of stainless steel. I started with 1/16 which was a stone cold beeatch to work, then I scrounged some 1/32". Works much better, I've thought of doing something in 1/6 with it. Easiest way to work it is to heat it red hot with a map gas torch, then wack it with a hammer. Again, I'm using a ball peen, couple different sizes. I have a chunk of railroad rail I use as an anvil but any solid metal surface should work.

To get a rounded shape, I heat up the area I want to work, have a bench vise pre-opened, set the metal in the opening and use the rounded end of the ball peen to hammer it into the open vice. Then I placed a round metal object on the folded steel, put it in the vice and closed the vice to get the rounded shape on my steel.

Not much advice, but I'm not real experienced. Hope that will give some insight.

PS> I cut the steel using a Dremel with a heavy duty cutoff wheel. Several wheels.... Wire guage drill bits for making holes.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Soda can aluminum would be quite easy to work with. Scissors will cut it with no trouble.

If you'd like to go a bit thicker, tin shears are available that will cut the time needed to outline pieces. The set I saw just yesterday at Home Depot contained two curved pairs (different directions) and a straight pair.

You'll also need some small hammers and something curved and solid...like an anvil...to hammer against. A vice will also be very helpful.

Some automotive body working tools might prove useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.