One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Web Research Junkie
1,598 Posts
Nick - Interesting. Where you a guard or regular unit? What did you see other MP units running? BTW, in the picture this guy doesn't even have an M68 or ACOG but the regular carry handle iron sight which is pretty rare these days.

Toy Scout - non spec ops modified DCU's (no pockets on sleeve). Flag on right sleve BELOW combat patch. Yeah, stupid but the order to put flags on came out w/guys already having combat patches and to keep everyone from resewing stuff they just put it under the patch. No flag on the left sleeve (though spec ops may have had some velcro ones on modified DCUs).
Rod,
I was in a guard unit working under an active duty MP BN under CMD from a BDE from the Screaming Chickens. CMD was from COB Speicher but my unit was at FOB Brassfield Mora, PB KAufman and a Plt in Mosul. The other MP units I witnessed were equipped pretty much the same as us. We had all the rails on our long arms to include SAW and M240 and even had the lovely EBR and Leupold glassed M14's. Go figure. Maybe things have changed now but who knows.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Nick, thanks for chiming in.

I noticed here at Benning the Combat Support and Service Support guys don't get all the bells and whistles.

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
Are those the OR "Ironsight" gloves? I was running Mechanix gloves and loved them, but these look to have a better grip to them.
Is there a reason you guys think these are the best gloves, or is it just personal preference? I myself used blackhawk and now mechanix and I like the mechanix more.
Yes, those are the OR Ironsight gloves.

I like them a lot better than other gloves that I have worn. For a lot of reasons; they fit my hands better than others, they are easy to don and remove, they cover my hands well, but don't impede hand movement, they have a very well designed "grippy" palm surface, they cost less than $40.00. I like Mechanix and 5.11 shorty flight gloves, but I would pick these up if they were on the table next to either of them. The only down side is that OR doesn't produce enough of them, so they're hard to come by. My .02

·
Soldier
979 Posts
I have two pairs now for all the reasons Steve said, but to add to the mechanic glove thoughts... I've had several pairs of mechanix before trying the ORs and the mechanix tend to wear out quickly, especially the thumb from manipulating the selector switch and the trigger finger. I've been putting daily abuse on the ORs at the range for the last 4 weeks, roughly 8 hrs of shooting each day, and the only thing I've noticed is the rubber grip on my front support hand index finger is wearing off, but I'm going to attribute that to the intense heat from the barrel. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Yes, those are the OR Ironsight gloves.

I like them a lot better than other gloves that I have worn. For a lot of reasons; they fit my hands better than others, they are easy to don and remove, they cover my hands well, but don't impede hand movement, they have a very well designed "grippy" palm surface, they cost less than $40.00. I like Mechanix and 5.11 shorty flight gloves, but I would pick these up if they were on the table next to either of them. The only down side is that OR doesn't produce enough of them, so they're hard to come by. My .02
I have two pairs now for all the reasons Steve said, but to add to the mechanic glove thoughts... I've had several pairs of mechanix before trying the ORs and the mechanix tend to wear out quickly, especially the thumb from manipulating the selector switch and the trigger finger. I've been putting daily abuse on the ORs at the range for the last 4 weeks, roughly 8 hrs of shooting each day, and the only thing I've noticed is the rubber grip on my front support hand index finger is wearing off, but I'm going to attribute that to the intense heat from the barrel. Just my .02
Great, thanks guys. I'll pick up a pair and try them out for myself.

G

·
Hi Will, just a couple of quick questions. What kind of pouches would a sniper scout put on his plate carrier or vest? Does he need to carry side arm or any secondary weapon? Thanks for your help in advance

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
I have only had a few scout sniper customers but several Army snipers and they have all asked for their actual "sniper/shooting look" though we talked about insertion and what they wore otherwise. I can also share what the manuals and common sense would say. Some of the other members might be able to chime in and add to the body of knowledge (actually I think snipers might be a good new thread if there's interest).

It would be a safe bet that a current sniper over the last decade or two carries a sidearm with at least two extra mags. That's pretty much SOP.

As with most things what a sniper wears depends on the mission. How is he inserting? How long will he be out there? What kind of help does he have? Which and how many rifles is he taking? Where is he setting up? Etc. (see why this can be a second thread) It also makes a difference if he's a "sniper" or a "designated marksman". They are different but have similarities.

Many snipers take off their body armor once they get in position. That way they can have a solid comfortable position as they lay on the ground. In those cases the body armor set up would be pretty similar to a grunt. If for some reason the sniper felt he might need to move quickly or couldn't afford to take off body armor a rack that attaches or worn over the vest would be likely. WORST case where a sniper would have to do his job while wearing body armor and pouches (e.g. not issued a rack) he's going to want to keep his shooting shoulder and (if he's laying down) his front area open. Laying down on top of ammo pouches isn't the most comfortable or stable.

Pouches that would a sniperwould like to keep "handy" would be a pouch to keep his shooting log (a notebook). Snipers have specialized equipment that would be carried depending on the mission. The mission would also determine how it was carried. For instance 24 hr hide in an urban setting might demand a pack where things like spotting scopes, laser range finders etc. would be carried. If it was just an overnight mission with plenty of security in an area the sniper has operated in maybe he has a spare pouch with a night sight. As you can tell, it all depends.

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse you further. Like I said, maybe this should get its own thread?

G

·
Thanks, Will. You’ve been great help as always. I know it’s not going to be a straight forward answer when it comes to pouches, but you do make me think a lot more about the mission instead of focusing on individual gear. It makes more sense that way, to be mission specific. Thanks again.

G

·
Hi Will, I have a question regarding combat boots. Is the new Bellville 950 going to replace the current ones for both Army and Marines? It is meant to go with the Multicam ACU, right? It looks a bit like the Bellville 550 and a bit like Danner but without the EAG. It could go well with the MCCU and FROG, I suppose. I wonder if the MC would adopt the new style boots without the EAG on them.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Hi Will, I have a question regarding combat boots. Is the new Bellville 950 going to replace the current ones for both Army and Marines? It is meant to go with the Multicam ACU, right? It looks a bit like the Bellville 550 and a bit like Danner but without the EAG. It could go well with the MCCU and FROG, I suppose. I wonder if the MC would adopt the new style boots without the EAG on them.

Thanks in advance
It is against regulation to wear boots without the EGA in the Marine Corps... I honestly doubt that would change anytime soon, and I doubt even further that they would adopt a new boot. They are pretty strict on this kind of thing.

G

·
It is against regulation to wear boots without the EGA in the Marine Corps... I honestly doubt that would change anytime soon, and I doubt even further that they would adopt a new boot. They are pretty strict on this kind of thing.
Thanks Matt for the clarification. Again, the guy at the local army surplus store gave me rubbish news. :doh But I must say the new Belleville 950 combat boots look quite nice and seem very sturdy. It could be a good replacement if it had the EGA on them. That is if the current 550 model ever needs to be replaced at all.

·
motivated and dedicated
1,754 Posts
I have a question: what you people (grunts) think about chest rigs? I was thinking I'm a big dude and wearing a vest with pouches attached in a prone position would make me stick out EVEN more. My opinion would be a chest rig would work good for me. But I'm just a FS/11b wannabe.

What for you guys think?

I was looking at this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLLE-Assau...003&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=4&sd=370663773915&

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
I have a question: what you people (grunts) think about chest rigs? I was thinking I'm a big dude and wearing a vest with pouches attached in a prone position would make me stick out EVEN more. My opinion would be a chest rig would work good for me. But I'm just a FS/11b wannabe.

What for you guys think?

I was looking at this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLLE-Assau...003&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=4&sd=370663773915&
silent_05, This is one of those questions that will get you a lot of different answers. I'm fine with a chest rig, but I prefer a plate carrier for the ease of having my plates and ammo pouches on the same piece of gear. You bring up a good point on how mags on your front will raise your profile. One way to mitigate this (and what I do) is to mount one row of single mag pouches on the chest, and then wear a duty belt/battle belt with additional mag pouches mounted to the strong hand side. In addition to allowing me to get my precious cuerpo lower to the ground, this transfers a lot of weight from my trunk to my hips, making it easier to move all of that weight for longer periods of time.

Now, as to the specific rig that you posted, I would steer away from Condor gear except for their jackets and shirts. They are cheaper than most, but aren't built nearly as well as a lot of other brands that I could name. Remember, you don't want your plate carrier, chest rig, or any other piece of kit to fall apart on you in the field a couple days into a multi-day mission.

"Quality is never cheap, but it's always affordable." - Anonymous

My .02

·
motivated and dedicated
1,754 Posts
silent_05, This is one of those questions that will get you a lot of different answers. I'm fine with a chest rig, but I prefer a plate carrier for the ease of having my plates and ammo pouches on the same piece of gear. You bring up a good point on how mags on your front will raise your profile. One way to mitigate this (and what I do) is to mount one row of single mag pouches on the chest, and then wear a duty belt/battle belt with additional mag pouches mounted to the strong hand side. In addition to allowing me to get my precious cuerpo lower to the ground, this transfers a lot of weight from my trunk to my hips, making it easier to move all of that weight for longer periods of time.

Now, as to the specific rig that you posted, I would steer away from Condor gear except for their jackets and shirts. They are cheaper than most, but aren't built nearly as well as a lot of other brands that I could name. Remember, you don't want your plate carrier, chest rig, or any other piece of kit to fall apart on you in the field a couple days into a multi-day mission.

"Quality is never cheap, but it's always affordable." - Anonymous

My .02
Thanks for your feedback, Steve.

Ive seen mags on the top row like that but for some reason for me it seems uncomfortable but I never tried it so I can't say.

The Condor is never my first choice but I liked how this tight was set up. Ill continue looking. I wouldn't want to regret a purchase in the worst situation :doh

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Sorry guys, I don't visit OSW very often anymore…

Toy Scout - pictures or a link would help but things are very different now. Multiple boots are authorized for wear in today's Army unlike how it used to be or how many armies equip their troops. Boots have to be between 8"-10" tall, made of tan rough side out cattlehide leather, with a plain toe, and with a soling system similar in color to the tan upper materials. The soling materials cannot exceed two inches in height, when measured from the bottom of the outsole,
http://www.army.mil/article/10228/

A LOT of boots meet this standard and boots tend to be one of those items that even individual soldiers will spend their limited funds on.

Silent - good points on the chest rig raising your profile. The biggest factor determining if troops will use one is if it's issued or not. Most guys aren't going to drop a couple hundred bucks on a chest rig. They don't get paid that much or have as much cool kit issued as spec ops. The army has issued racks on a limited basis to conventional guys and some have taken issued mesh vests and worn them backrwards or modified them into becoming racks. Most guys that have requested I use a rack on their custom soldier were mechanized or motorized troops. The rack allowed them to take off their gear in the vehicle without removing their body armor. I've also had the request from snipers who need to be able to go prone often.

Hope that helps guys…

161 - 180 of 187 Posts