One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
vvv - HILARIOUS!!! yep, he lays out why "brony" patches are so wrong in a VERY undiplomatic way.

Not PC, work or kid friendly!

·
mini chet
1,209 Posts
While we're still on the subject I had another intriguing weapon find...

That stock is a VLTOR A5. It was developed for the Marine Corps's M16 Product Improvement Program. There are several M16A4's with those stocks. There has been talk that the Marines may accept the stock for their M16s. The stock may have been installed by the armorer, possibly because the shooters arms aren't long enough to get a good sight picture with all the armor on.

I saw a few M16A4's carried by some POG Marines with the VLTOR A5 stock when I was last deployed.

Basically. it has a slightly longer tube than a carbine, and the buffer is heavier than a carbine to help balance the recoil similar to the rifle stock on an M16.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
That stock is a VLTOR A5. It was developed for the Marine Corps's M16 Product Improvement Program. There are several M16A4's with those stocks. There has been talk that the Marines may accept the stock for their M16s. The stock may have been installed by the armorer, possibly because the shooters arms aren't long enough to get a good sight picture with all the armor on.

I saw a few M16A4's carried by some POG Marines with the VLTOR A5 stock when I was last deployed.

Basically. it has a slightly longer tube than a carbine, and the buffer is heavier than a carbine to help balance the recoil similar to the rifle stock on an M16.
Very very interesting. Never knew this was even being thought of. I couldn't agree more with this, it would be a welcome change.

·
U.S. Marine Corps Veteran
1,141 Posts
While we're still on the subject I had another intriguing weapon find...

To me that is a bad place to have that leash attached. Am I wrong? Wouldn't that interfere with his weapon manipulation? Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't want to be in a crowded Afghan market in that sort of posture.

Jeff

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ermeynator- Thanks for the great info! Learn something new everyday.

Goaltendah- I'd have to agree. Especially running the rifle with a two point sling UNDER the leash. Maybe that is how K-9 folks are trained to do it? Anyone?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
BTW guys, some other idiosynchracies...

I blew the picture up to 400%. The helmet cover is ACU. A slick weapon for an MP is strange (not unheard of but not something a soldier that would commonly expect contact would run). A slick weapon is something you'd see for someone that doesn't leave the FOB much.

Overall a very "unique" pic. I can't say definitively but I sense this is a guard soldier who has a mix of equipment and a very flexible chain of command.

vvv - more than half the K9 handlers I've done didn't even have a rifle but the placement of the sling is strange. FYI, according to a handler that lead he's using is more for tracking than bomb/patrol work.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Thought I would share this under the heading of exceptions to the rule. This is a sergeant major from the 143rd Infantry Regiment. The differences stand out. I know sergeants major are given a lot of latitude, but thought it was pretty interesting for a SGM from the Texas National Guard.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Yep, shouldn't expect less from those boys from Texas. Go big or go home. ;)

I think the SGM subscribes to the theory "you gotta' look good to play good." Might be an interesting exercise to see how many pieces of nonstandard gear we can find in that picture. Nonstandard for your straight leg grunt anyway.

·
mini chet
1,209 Posts
Yep, shouldn't expect less from those boys from Texas. Go big or go home. ;)

I think the SGM subscribes to the theory "you gotta' look good to play good." Might be an interesting exercise to see how many pieces of nonstandard gear we can find in that picture. Nonstandard for your straight leg grunt anyway.
Not to mention for someone who probably hardly ever goes outside the wire

G

·
Hi Will, thanks for starting this thread. It’s extremely helpful. Sorry if I've sidetracked a little. I’ve got a question regarding insignia and flag on DCU, the “coffee stain” one. Hope you could help.

If I have a flag and an insignia together on my upper right arm, does the flag has to go on top of the insignia, or is it simply a personal preference? What if I have the same insignia on the upper left arm as well, do they have to be on the same position on both arms with the flag under the insignia on the right? Great if you would clarify it for me. Thanks in advance

·
Web Research Junkie
1,598 Posts
BTW guys, some other idiosynchracies...

I blew the picture up to 400%. The helmet cover is ACU. A slick weapon for an MP is strange (not unheard of but not something a soldier that would commonly expect contact would run). A slick weapon is something you'd see for someone that doesn't leave the FOB much.

Overall a very "unique" pic. I can't say definitively but I sense this is a guard soldier who has a mix of equipment and a very flexible chain of command.

vvv - more than half the K9 handlers I've done didn't even have a rifle but the placement of the sling is strange. FYI, according to a handler that lead he's using is more for tracking than bomb/patrol work.
Rod,
Not necessarily true about the slick weapons. During my 2008 - 2009 deployment to Iraq every soldier had an Aimpoint or an ACOG and that was about it. The issued surefire flashlights were few and far between and no PEQ's were issued at all. This was an MP unit that conducted patrols and PTT.
We were issued alot of other cool-guy gear though to include Surefire Helmet lights, Oakley CAG Gloves and Oakley Boots to name a few.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Nick - Interesting. Where you a guard or regular unit? What did you see other MP units running? BTW, in the picture this guy doesn't even have an M68 or ACOG but the regular carry handle iron sight which is pretty rare these days.

Toy Scout - non spec ops modified DCU's (no pockets on sleeve). Flag on right sleve BELOW combat patch. Yeah, stupid but the order to put flags on came out w/guys already having combat patches and to keep everyone from resewing stuff they just put it under the patch. No flag on the left sleeve (though spec ops may have had some velcro ones on modified DCUs).

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Thought this one was a cool one with sharing...

"U.S. soldiers patrol the Zharay district in southern Afghanistan on April 24, 2012"

Interesting to see the MSR.
Personally, I don't think it's very smart to leave a guy in the middle of a patrol without a semi auto rifle and just the pistol and a bolt action, unless someone else is carrying for him. (I have seen this done with snipers when they're hauling the .50) But a poor practice in my mind, no matter how many other guys are with him.

G

·
Toy Scout - non spec ops modified DCU's (no pockets on sleeve). Flag on right sleve BELOW combat patch. Yeah, stupid but the order to put flags on came out w/guys already having combat patches and to keep everyone from resewing stuff they just put it under the patch. No flag on the left sleeve (though spec ops may have had some velcro ones on modified DCUs).
Thanks for the prompt response and clarification, Will. Great Help!

·
mini chet
1,209 Posts
Thought this one was a cool one with sharing...

"U.S. soldiers patrol the Zharay district in southern Afghanistan on April 24, 2012"

Interesting to see the MSR.
That not the MSR. It's just a Remington M700 action in the RACS chassis.

The MSR's action has a flat surface on the sides (versus the M700 action is round)

141 - 160 of 187 Posts