One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Install Google Translate on your cell phone and use the OCR function (scan with cell phone camera) to translate the text, it WORKS! Read my post four floors below for details

Finally picked up the shipment yesterday (so yeah, fellow collectors who ordered with us will get your copy soon). I opened one and started flipping through it, and boy what a TREAT! Here are some thoughts after reading the book for about half an hour.

The book has 238 pages (including cover) but doesn't weigh much, because it doesn't come with a 3lb hard cover like most other "collectible" books I came across (yes I consider Weylen's book a collectible, even though it's titled "1/6 Action Figure Manual"). It kinda shows the attitude of the book from the start - no BS, straight to the point, minimum in the form, maximum in the content. The book wastes no space and starts with a list of useful tools spanning two pages. Any book beginning with tools, you know it means business.

I'll put it this way, if the book is sent out as an email, it will be instantly classified as a spam mail (which is a good thing, let me explain), because it is pictures HEAVY! The graphic to text ratio is like 9:1 (this ratio is one of the factors spam filers use to detect spam mails). You can clearly tell the author spent great effort to keep the text short and precise and let the pictures do most of the talking. This is a very smart approach since this hobby is all about visual. But Weylen didn't just randomly throw in a bunch of pictures, they are logically organized - first some smaller and closely sequenced pictures to depict the step by step process, then followed by the large detailed shots from multiple angles to show the final effect. It feels like you are watching over Weylen's shoulder when he puts all the pieces together. An effortless reading!

As to the content, this book covers a wide range of topics, from HS molding, weapon modding, nude modding, base building, weathering, to accessory making etc. But they are not listed as individual chapters, they are naturally blended into the various projects Weylen showed in the book. For example you'll see several HS being made in the book, but depending on the subject and raw material, the methods of making these HS are not always the same. Again this makes the reading very enjoyable and shows the depth of the hobby. Another thing I really appreciate is Weylen also explains (briefly) his thought process and throws in some background knowledge (like the history of M1903 Springfield) when he walks us through those projects. This goes beyond simply listing the mechanic steps and helps to give a more comprehensive view of how things are made from concept to reality. You can definitely appreciate the final product even more with these extra information.

In this first read, I especially enjoyed the last part where other hobbyists' works are shown. It's not very long, but everyone has a short bio telling their background, interest, how they got into the hobby etc. Then you get to see some of their amazing works. Knowing each creator is different, you can now see how their life/cultural background/education/occupation influence their works, great stuff!

I'm far from done with the book. And even if I read through it once, I'm sure I will come back to it over and over for reference, inspiration or simple enjoyment of seeing some of the best works in the hobby.

Thank you for reading my loooooooooong post. It would have been an easier read if I could throw in more pictures (lesson learned from the book). But I'll just post a few due to copyright concern. Let me or the admin know if this is not alright.

Attachments

·
IMOK
1,023 Posts
Re: Weylen's book, what an achievement!

So glad you got these in! I will order one as soon as possible. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Weylen's book, what an achievement!

So glad you got these in! I will order one as soon as possible. Thanks for the heads up!
I should say though the text is in Chinese only... They are short, but still essential to fully understanding the exact operations. I think there should be a fan project to translate the text into English.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Re: Weylen's book! Do understand Chinese? Use Google Translate w/ phone camera!

Just learned that the Google Translate app supports OCR function using the cell phone camera (scan and translate text with the camera), so decided to give it a try on Weylen's book, and you know what? GOOGLE RULES!!

I tested on several paragraphs, first, it recognized the Chinese characters 100%! Second, the translation can be funny sometimes, but still meaningful, I'll say the accuracy is about 60%-70%, good enough to understand what the original text tries to say. The TRICK is try to translate short phrases one at a time instead of long sentence. Lastly, the app appears to be quite smart, for example, when it came to translate "People's Liberation Army", it automatically spitted out "PLA", amazing! The original text simply says "Liberation Army", but the app was able to connect the dots - you see, it's in Chinese, and it talks about "Liberation Army", so it must be the Chinese military force - People's Liberation Army!!

Bottom line, if you have Weylen's book and have problem reading the text, GET THIS APP on your phone!!

BTW, I have an Android phone, so I got the app from "Play Store".

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got this book from TimewalkerToys and it's great. My favorite sections are the Russian cap creation (pages 14-17)...the Chung814 hat modification (page 101)...but the best one is the diorama with the 3 Chinese resistance fighters (pages 210-211). Amazing work and an awesome book. Get it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts