One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Well, where do I start after so many have already posted on this topic. I guess I will start by saying that this was my first time to WOH and first time to LA. The big question for me or anyone going to this event from out of state/province, is did the event met your expectations, was it worth it. Well for me it was yes/no. I'd like to clarify that by saying that the event was the excuse to get to LA but it wasn't my only reason. For me and my buddy Brad it was a chance to get away, to get away from the kids, work and life in general and chance to see each other. By way of costs involved it ran me about $1100.00 just to get to the show. Airfare, hotel, car rental, food etc. It all adds up. So was it worth it? Lets find out…..

The Show- Dealers
Let me start by saying it is a dealer show, if you are looking to buy, its pretty much there. There are good deals to be had if you looked and ask, but not all were willing to deal, especially on Saturday. Most items I found were about the same price as their online store prices and most dealers carried the same items. There really was nothing there that you couldn't have gotten on the net. I was hoping to see new, never before seen stuff for sale, items that were super cheap. To give an example most BBI boxed figures were selling in the $40-$50 +up range, I have most of mine up in the trade section for $32.00
I was really hoping to see Items that I had seen pics of but wanted to see in real life..like hot toys predators, etc. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place?

Really though for me I wasn't really looking to buy anything, I did however pick up a new BS body, $10.00, 2x Dragon Neo bodies with heads etc $5.00each and a complete DML Stan figure for $12.00. My total was about 85.00 worth of stuff. I also won a figure and gear bag set, plus the stuff I got at the EBT Hooters party, I came home with more then I wanted to. Brad bought about $13.00 worth at the show.

The Show -customs
There were some very nice custom figures there, but not as many as I expected to see. I spent a lot of time looking at these and wanted to say thanks to those that took the time to enter, because if you hadn't it would have been a boring show for me.

The People
The real reason I went was to meet people. People with a passion for the same hobby. This was the best part of the show and I think most that keep going back… this is the reason. To get together, talk, have fun and just hang out with your friends. I met some great people and I don't think I stopped laughing on Sunday evening, (thanks Jess and John for that). For me this was what it was all about, the people.

So was it worth it…
YES to see it in person, meet all the people from OSW and just take it all in. Plus I went to Venice Beach and Hollywood… both cool places
No, if I was going just to buy stuff. Full retail plus shipping would be cheaper then the expense of traveling even with the good deals I found.

Also, where were all the women?? Its like this is LA, Hollywood, Venice beach and I only saw about 5 girls that were like a 10. One was at the pool at the Hilton Sunday night. There were better looking women on the flight home. And before anyone says we were in the wrong place, were spent 5 hrs on Venice Beach on sat aft, and 4 hrs in Hollywood, even taking one of the tours, Sunday aft. The temps were like 104 degrees, man they should have all been in bikinis. LOL Just a few other pics...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
agree with you on what you said... one thing about the prices compared to on line is the lack of tax and shipping for some of us. That doesn't work out for everyone (like you mention, $32 BBI figure with $10 shipping is still cheaper than a $45 BBI figure with no shipping). At least at the show, you can see the quality of the figure, box, etc.. that may be worth a buck or two to some.

I found myself disappointed at the lack of "middle age" items: perhaps it was just my specific shopping list couldn't get filled, but there wasn't as wide a variety of figures and loose items as i had hoped. A couple years ago, i could have had my pick of 5 vendors with M4's coming out their wazzoos, and this year, it seemed only two had any selection of rifles (that i was looking for).

I missed Cotswold bringing in their items (i was looking for two things i KNEW they would have), and there wasn't as many vendors as years past. Whether that's because of the decline in the hobby, or economy, i don't know. It also seemed that the vendors who did come brought in either things that were absolutely hot, or the stock from the store they couldn't sell otherwise, hoping someone would buy it. Again, middle of the road products were absent to my eye, with one or two execptions.

Of course, I know that one man's trash is another's treasure, so what I was missing was probably replaced on the shelves with another person's panacea.

I enjoyed myself, spent WAY too much money despite not getting everything on my list, and had a great time.

·
God Bless America
1,529 Posts
Haha, you almsot got me in that first pic of the OSW booth (where it looks like Sawgunner is making Hollowpoint cry), but I got my trademark shades on just in time. :shades

Ah, good times.

·
Registered
329 Posts
agree with you on what you said... one thing about the prices compared to on line is the lack of tax and shipping for some of us. That doesn't work out for everyone (like you mention, $32 BBI figure with $10 shipping is still cheaper than a $45 BBI figure with no shipping). At least at the show, you can see the quality of the figure, box, etc.. that may be worth a buck or two to some.

Absolutely spot-on observation!!! Don't get to go to shows in my old age... Used to go when I was in to 15 and 25mm war gaming in my mis-spent youth. There is no telling the number of times I ordered something (so long ago it was done using paper CATALOGS!), only to be massively disappointed in the quality or the castings, or in the ACTUAL form (uniform, weapons, other details) of the figures, vice the teeny-tiny fotoz, often nicely painted, in the catalogs. As Lieut. Gruber once famously told Rene at the Cafe -- "Lipstick, powder, and a little bit of paint, make a girl what she jolly well ain't!" :fit

It was well worth the cost to buy my "supplies of lead" at shows where I could actually SEE the damn things, and also talk with other war gamers about their views/ideas on the figures Essex, and other firms, produced. If I saved some cash great, but it was getting exactly what I wanted, or not having to waste the cash on something that disappointed when the Post Office delivered and I opened the box :cry, that made the shows for me.

Just my duo dinarii! :nerd

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
There are reasons why MD didn't show up.I'm sure one os the rising costs of gas,among other things.

But as was said last year,if you're going to WOH just to look to buy stuff,stick to theinternet and EBAY.

If you want to go to WOH to meet some OSWers,hang out and see and meet some of the people who have served in their respective militaries,and have a good experience,then by all means...come on out to SoCal and have some fun.The 1/6 parts is just part of the experience.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That PMC dude was me. The boots are Magnum Elite Spider 8" Tactical Boots. The closest thing that I have seen are the Toyrrific tan boots they had for $17.00. Funny thing is that I can by the 1:1 boots for 4x that amount.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Love the pics Crusader.

I had the same sentiments as well. Saved a bit on the shipping and the actual costs of some stuff, but for the most part gear was about the usual going price. The get together is what was real fun. Not much in the way of 1/6 type shows up north, and this is the "Superbowl" so-to-speak of 1/6, so how do you go wrong there.

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
Great pics and observations. For me it's always been the hanging with felow OSWers that made the trip worthwhile. The rest is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Crusader and I had agreed a year ago to try and make it to the show. For me, the show was the excuse needed to get away. Where better than SoCal for a four day escape from the stresses of everyday life. If the show had been anywhere else but California (except maybe Vegas), we probably would have passed, just due to the costs involved.
I wanted the show to be the kickoff to my getting back into the hobby from the fans point of view, not the business side.
I have to say the show was great, but smaller than I had expected it to be. I did not come to buy much, but more to experience the fun and enjoyment of sharing a hobby with other enthusiasts, and I can say to everyone it was totally worth the expense. People will probably think I am crazy, but I only spent $13 bucks at the show. I bought 2 M60s with ammo box/belt feed from the 21st Vietnam Door Gunner set for a Sci-Fi custom I want to start working on. I met a lot of great people from the forum and had a heck of a time both at the show and the after events. The pool party at the Hilton was the highlite of the weekend. The Marine shore leave stories had Andrew and I cracking up all the way back to Calgary. Whomever bought the pizza, thanks much. The EBT party at Hooters on Friday night was awesome and I wanted to thank both Nan and Tung for being such great hosts. The amount of time and effort these two put in is crazy, but you can tell they love what they do. Thanks guys, it's easy to see why you're so loved in the hobby.
Anyway, I feel like my enthusiam for the hobby has been totally renewed. I actually started digging out a bunch of figures and supplies and hope to get back into some long abandoned projects. Andrew I looked for my Space Marine and can't find it anywhere. Must be buried reallll deep.
On a side note, never go to Venice beach with the 43 year old guy who came to LA pre-sunburned and with bad hips. After a couple of hours walking in the sun, he was done for the night! In bed and lights out by eleven, wild times in LA!! Woohoo! Oh yeah, turning the AC down to 60 when I'm sleeping in front of it and totally screwing up my sinuses was going to help my snoring how???!!!LOL

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
Brad, it was great to see you at the show. I have found that really does get the creative juices flowing again. Great see you back at it. It was great to meet another Albertan as well. Andrew, we will need to do a weekend in Calgary and get those Calgary bums out of their holes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts