One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an airbrush and am currently weathering my vehicles.(WWll) with Tamiya acrylics.
Looking at all the U-Tube videos on the subject,( mainly weathering electric trains):loony one video said you would have to seal the weathering as will wear off with handling.
It says that acrylic paint will come off on plastic.
Is this true?:think
Is there an acrylic dull coat sealer?

·
DO NOT READ THIS SENTENCE
2,235 Posts
Tamiya Acrylic is designed for plastic so you don't have to worry.
It won't hurt to add a coat of clear over the top though :)

·
Guardian of Hades
1,558 Posts
To answer your question... Yes, it can rub off with constant handling.

If you are painting a solid heavy coat/s the acrylic will be okay, but "dusting" the surface with a very light coat of acrylic for weathering doesn't form a smooth skin. It actually forms tiny bumps/dots that are just abrasive enough to rub off.
Acrylic is a lot less toxic and easier to handle but Enamel is far more durable, which is the main trade-off between the two.
But even enamels can come off when they are only misted lightly onto a surface.

The best solution is to clear coat over your paint and weathering, so you know it come off.
My scale model aircraft (aka Dust Magnets) do need the occasional wash, because some parts of them just can't be dusted-off dry with a duster.
The clear coat makes sure my model's decals and paint are protected while I give it a good clean.

Just make sure you mask-off the clear plastic parts when you clear coat, because it will fog/steam any clear plastic it come in contact with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.