One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the pictures that you get with the yahoo news articles and it looks like most soldiers in Iraq are using M16A2s and M4s now. I haven't seen an M16A4 variant in a while.
Is the M16A4 all that common in the Army or was it mostly the 3rd ID that was using them?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I can honestly say I have never even seen one in real life. 99% of what I have come across has been M4s and M16A2s. That is a good question though. Does anyone else have any experience?

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
Hmmmm, before I left the 1st ID this summer, I know the battalion I was in had A4's. Don't know how common they are Army wide though.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
they are pretty common..i see them where i am at...but i also see A2s with ris handguards...

i think that it would be accurate to use it in bash though

billpete

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I was over in Iraq (Marines), some of the infantry companies we were colocated with had the M16A4s, some had the standard A2s. My unit (Force Recon), battalion recon, radio recon, and ANGLICO all had M4s. Most of the support units had the A2s.

Joe

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Now-retired best bud Jim says his Engineers (breach and obstacle) carry A4s, but very little of the bells and whistles, only the AN/PEQs usually, as I recall. He said the SAWs had night scopes. I'll talk to him tomorrow (Sunday), and ask him if they got anything better, when running with the Cav.

[edit] BTW, Joe- welcome back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm currently bashing a soldier from the 22nd Infantry Reg/4th ID.

He has an M4 w/ detachable carry handle, vertical foregrip and a PEQ-4. Is this accurate for a line infantryman? I figured an M4 would be better since these guys move around in hummers and M4s would be easier to fire from a hummer.

·
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
5,445 Posts
The 22nd Infantry Reg guys seem to have practically no accessories. A lot of the guys don't seem to have RIS on their weapons. Most of the pics clearly labeled as 22nd Infantry Reg have a M4A1 like this guy or a M16A2.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Crazy Chocobo said:
The 22nd Infantry Reg guys seem to have practically no accessories. A lot of the guys don't seem to have RIS on their weapons. Most of the pics clearly labeled as 22nd Infantry Reg have a M4A1 like this guy or a M16A2.
Something you definitely have to think about with this guy is that he is a full bird Colonel. This means he is either a Brigade Commander or higher. He doesn't need any fancy stuff on his weapon because he's probably never going to use it. He's probably just following protocal in carrying it. If you have any pics of the line troops, I'm sure you will see a different set up. Don't make a judgement off of either of the guys in this pic, they're both staff guys.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Oh, and check out the Major wearing that M9 Bayonet. I think he thinks he's Rambo.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
As for the staff guys carrying the weapons they do, maybe they're some of those true "chargin' charley" types, like Ridgeway, who always carried frags on his web gear. Some of these guys may have these as touchstones, to remind themselves where they came from, some because they know that fate has a way of leaving your ass in your own hands sometimes, no matter how importamt you are. Then again, some wear them as affectations. You never know.

I did talk to my buddy Jim this afternoon. His guys in Charlie/54EngBn have the M16A4, and as mentioned above, An/PEQs. There're two issue Red Dots in the Company, though some guys private-purchased their own. The SAWs had 20 yr. old night scopes, the same that used to be used on M-60s. They also had 4x 240s, with night scopes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I was in the 82nd, they had just started re-issuing the M4 to us in '96. Everyone had one by the beginning of '97. So much better than the M16 for jumping and stuff...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts