One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
They shall not pass
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to this board, so hello every one, happy to be here and share my work with you and see the work of the many talented people here.

On the clear cold morning of the 21st of February 1916, a deluge of German artillery fire shook the Western Front at the ancient fortress town of Verdun. It was the beginning of one of the longest and bloodiest battles of all time. It resulted in the death of over 700,000 men and has become a symbol of the horrors of war.



The Sideshow figure of a WW1 German rifleman is alas, very difficult to find and prices on the Internet are very high. The figure is among one of the best made in the series of Bayonets and Barbwire and offers everything necessary to make a German soldier dating from the period mid 1915 to mid 1916.
One of the most enjoyable things about action figures is the possibility to move and change the poses and add and change equipment. Even after handling, much of the weathering stays in place. I do avoid touching the most fragile parts of the figure, in this case the boots and face.
The uniform of the German soldier had begun a transformation during 1915 to take on the silhouette he would have until the end of the conflict. The Sideshow figure offers a typical soldier of 1915. The tunic has none of the decorative cuffs and back flaps that were on the uniform of August 1914.
The uniform went into the washing machine at a high temperature to discolour it and the trousers were soaked in a diluted bleach solution to make them look faded and worn.
The red piping on the Sideshow tunic was too large, I repainted over it with field grey paint and added finer red piping using red acrylic paint, finally I repainted the buttons a more metallic looking brass colour. I added the cloth neck guard that prevented the wool collar from irritating the neck.

The picklehaub is the sideshow one recovered with a dragon shirt cloth and painted.





The boots are plastic dragon German WW2 boots. To make them closer in appearance to 1886 Landser boots I suppressed the stitching at the rear using Tamyia modelling putty and added stitching to the two sides of the boots gluing flexible wire pushing it into the folds of the plastic. Choosing the right glue is important and two-part epoxy Araldite proved the best, as the wire remained stuck in place even after handling. The boots were dry brushed with a red leather colour to show the original leather colour that had been badly covered by a black polish.
I used Newline Miniature ammo pouches modifying them slightly to have a more the box like appearance of WW1 ammo pouches. I painted over the leather and plastic and then weathered everything with burnt umber oil paint washes; this creates a more realistic appearance. A New line bread bag strap was used to hold up the belt.
Thanks for looking in.















 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top