One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
These pictures were posted earlier, I don't know if the original poster(s) realise they are Australians(Captions from the Australian War Memorial):

South Vietnam. 1970-01. Typical of the load carrried by Australian soldiers on operations is that of Sergeant (SGT) Peter Buckney. He is moving along a jungle path during Operation Atherton in southern Long Khanh province. SGT Buckney's unit, D Company of 8th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (8RAR), was conducting its first major operation since arriving in Vietnam in November 1969.

South Vietnam. 1970-07. Australian adviser Captain (CAPT) Peter Shilston checks over the radio that a cordon was around a Montaguard village in central South Vietnam before sweeping through to search it.

·
ThreeA Junky
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I've just got the 19 part "Nam Experience" magazines through the post, has some awesome photos in it and makes for great reference material!

You can pick them up on ebay for pretty cheap, I only paid £8 for mine and that was delivered! Already got two bashes lined up from them!

·
ThreeA Junky
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
I'm replacing my Vietcong regular's gear and wondered which is the most accurate cloth AK chest rig to use?
Also are there replacements available for the grenade holder, knife, hat, belt and what not?

·
Resident 'NAM nut
2,633 Posts
Also did the Vietncong use the grenade attachment and bayonet on the ak?
Bayonets Im sure. But there was no grenade launcher attachment for the AK47 in the 60's (We americans were just feilding the M203 in 1969 and that wasnt on a large scale).
There was a picture I saw once of a vietcong using an Mosin Nagat with a rifle grenade attached, but the only other time Ive seen a vietcong/NVA with a grenade launcher was in another picture but it was an M79

Edit: I had the wrong rifle listed, it was the mosin nagat

·
Registered
15 Posts
Saint - What's wrong with the ALICE? They used them in Vietnam.
ALICE wasn't introduced until 1973, and never made it to Vietnam. If you see nylon gear that looks like ALICE gear, it's actually M1967 stuff. One thing I have never seen in all my research has been anybody wearing an entire rig of M1967. It appears that the stuff only trickled into Vietnam, meaning occasionally you'll see some nylon in a see of canvas.

Here are some photos from 4/31, 196th LIB, Americal Division.

I'd say there are about 2500 of photos like these here:
31st U.S. Infantry Regiment Association - Home > Vietnam

Really a great resource for Vietnam research, or at least for this unit.

·
Hi, I'm an addict!
3,470 Posts
I was thinking of doing a Vietnam bash and this thread is oh so helpful. I do have a question though. The Wild Works uniform set, what part of the war is that from? I would assume since it comes with an M14 its the onset, but does the rest of the gear match? I'd like to do a grunt from like 1967-8. Should I use this set as a start, or is there a better uniform? Thanks.

·
Soldiering since Sep 1988
551 Posts
Make sure you're going for a Marine as all his accessories are Marine issued. I'm not sure if it's the best as I bought this set because It's the only one I saw that came loaded.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts