One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the process of making a nam grunt squad. I have 5 figure so far but this is the first one I put together. So here's my fully completed figure from ace. If you see any flaws let me know! Thanks in advance, - im trying to make my figure resemble the era as possible ( without any weathering atm )

Maybe the ruck frame too high? The figure have a buttpack too so it raised the frame which I think kinda look a little odds...

Attachments

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
Now that is definitely lookin' pretty damn good.
I can't really tell for sure, but is he wearing the buttpack on the web belt, with the rucksack and frame over top of it?
If so, you could simply remove the buttpack, loosen the shoulder straps/add some weights to the ruck, and you'll get a better hanging effect from the frame.
Generally troopers would have either the ruck OR a buttpack...but it could depend on the operation and how much gear they needed to be lugging.
If you were intent on keeping the buttpack, you could attach it to the frame, as well, as this trooper with the m79 has done.

There were many different gear configurations, so it's pretty forgiving with how things are set up most of the time...but generally you need to keep an eye to detail, and think of noise, weight, accessibility, and things like that.

Alternately, you could (depending on the web suspenders) use the buttpack in the upper position.

Definitely digging the look of this trooper you've got though, looking forward to seeing more!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes he's wearing the buttpack on the web belt and the frame + ruck is over on top so it's a little hard to see. Thank you so much for the reference photos. I will definitely loosen up the shoulders straps and maybe the belt to hang a little bit lower and see if there's a big difference. I'm moving more towards a FULLY LOADED gear for this figure...probably add a few more things to the ruck like canteens or claymore bag...hmmm?? THANKS AGAIN!!

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
Yes he's wearing the buttpack on the web belt and the frame + ruck is over on top so it's a little hard to see. Thank you so much for the reference photos. I will definitely loosen up the shoulders straps and maybe the belt to hang a little bit lower and see if there's a big difference. I'm moving more towards a FULLY LOADED gear for this figure...probably add a few more things to the ruck like canteens or claymore bag...hmmm?? THANKS AGAIN!!
No worries man! You're definitely off to a helluva good start.
I'm not going to tell you how to mod your troops, but personally I'd remove the buttpack and use it on another trooper, like an RTO or something.
Claymore bags would definitely be a good addition, you may want to use an ammo can as well, which were commonly used for dry storage, and maybe have some M60 ammo belts, as most troopers had to lug some.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet ammo boxes okay and I thought of m60 ammo belts for the longest but very confused on why regular rifleman (m16) carries the m60 belts for? They look great on a ruck but I'm just a little lost there.

·
Hobby Military Advisor
1,079 Posts
They carried around 600 to 1200 if not even more rounds for the M60 that was spread out among the squad/platoon, because the gunner could never carry all that ammo by himself, thats why you see Riflemen in NAM often carry the extra M60 ammo.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Your basic figure is loaded down nicely, so many look like caravan pack animals in the pics, because if you want it/think you need it, you have to take it with you. I like the attitudinal touch of the aviator's shades. Butt packs make great carry-alls for small stuff, but I don't think they were large enough, or rode well, for the field. As part of the belt and suspension system, they were not readily detachable, if you needed to access or dump them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot puking! I'm still doing some slight mods to this figure....doesn't seem perfect to me yet ha! I really want to make his uniform baggier too and maybe cut / roll up his sleeve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts