One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know ERDL uniforms were widely used by the likes of MACV SOG, USSF, Force Recon, SEALs, LRRPs, etc. But did any regular ground troops/infantry wear the ERDL uniforms?

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
The Marines wore them a lot late war; I believe they were actually issued to line units.

I've also seen a lot of pics of army pathfinders, etc. wearing them.

I have seen only a few pics of regular army grunts wearing them late war but they could be misidentified and actually be pathfinder detachments or Aero Rifle Platoons, for example as opposed to line companies.

In Stanton's "U.S. Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War," he writes about ERDL shortages and spotty deliveries to specialized units but adds "By mid-1969, however, enough camouflage tropical combat uniforms were available to begin outfitting selected line infantry companies."

The cover of Lyles' "U.S. Airborne Vietnam" (Concord Publications) has what looks to be a line doggie from the 101st wearing ERDLs.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
A buddy of mine was in a radio traffic intercept outfit. They could turn in their torn up jungle uniforms for new ones, and at a point, they received ERDLs in exchange. His experience was that the new unis got snagged by rear units and support troops before they got to line units.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Joe and Mike. I thought regular Marine riflemen wore the ERDL in the latter part of the war. I couldn't find out where I read that, so I didn't put my foot in my mouth by mentioning it.

As always, thanks for the info.

Ty

·
Likes little people
1,617 Posts
Thanks, Joe and Mike. I thought regular Marine riflemen wore the ERDL in the latter part of the war. I couldn't find out where I read that, so I didn't put my foot in my mouth by mentioning it.

Ty
You're right- I just finished reading Westly Fox' biography and there is a pic of him in 1969 during Dewey Canyon wearing them

·
I'll Never Buy A Fem Fig!
972 Posts
Army infantry units received ERDL uniforms piecemeal toward the end of the war - from 1970 on. I have seen a number of 1st CAV troopers in which one or two random guys have them. Back then, they called the ERDL uniforms "Flower Powers".

There are also a few photos of 101st ABN grunts wearing them late in the war.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.