One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How close is the duck hunter camo uniform released with the DML Edward and Hap Daley to what was used by early special ops and advisors in Vietnam? I know the WWII version material was HBT, but I am more interested in cut and pattern.

·
Registered
115 Posts
hey buddy,
complicated! you have several variations based on the USMC WWII pattern made in the commercial hunting market as well as the pattern called Beo Gams or Leopards, which were designed for the CIDG program.
with duckhunters the ideal uniform is a 3 pocket shirt w/ metal WWII 13 star buttons, the shirt features two lower pockets and one open upper pocket, the next would be the 2 pocket variation with either the 2 breast or two lower pockets. trousers are usually the same two rear button pockets and two large cargo pockets high on the hip, much like WWII OG garments.

beo gams came in two distict patterns; both with the breast pockets and sometimes a ciggerret pocket on the left sleeve, depending on cut. the 1st model has the 13 star tack buttons again and 2nd model plastic.
trousers again are two large cargo but down farther like tigers, two rear and sometimes if its a US cut the slash pockets, ie where you put your hands at. also the 1st aid/cig pocket on the lower left leg.
heres a few pics hope this helps!! the color pix are of the Beo Gams and the last 3 B&W are duck hunter if youd like I can get you some scans of each! :)
Paul

Attachments

·
Lets Go Blues
2,971 Posts
JT, from what I have heard the uniform that came with Hap Daley is pretty darn close. I picked up some an army advisor that was made by SOTW and it had the duck hunter uniform in it. I found him at Tuesday Morning and there were a bunch of them left for only 7.99. If you want me to go back pick ya up one lemme know cause I know we dont live too far from each other so it wouldnt be a problem. Nice pics by the way RT

Here is a link JT to the uniform and what it looks like that is made by SOTW. I used it on my french paratrooper.

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77090&highlight=french+paratrooper

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JT, from what I have heard the uniform that came with Hap Daley is pretty darn close. I picked up some an army advisor that was made by SOTW and it had the duck hunter uniform in it. I found him at Tuesday Morning and there were a bunch of them left for only 7.99. If you want me to go back pick ya up one lemme know cause I know we dont live too far from each other so it wouldnt be a problem. Nice pics by the way RT

Here is a link JT to the uniform and what it looks like that is made by SOTW. I used it on my french paratrooper.
Thanks, that is a good looking French trooper. That SOTW uni looks pretty sweet.

Paul,

This is what I am trying to match up pattern wise. These uniforms are six pocket trousers and two pocket jackets.

·
Registered
115 Posts
hey my friend
sorry I gave you the wrong info you were looking for a source for 1/6 and I was going on about patterns, sorry!
Yea the pattern you have in your posting would be correct for early advisor, totally looks like the Sear & Robuck hunting clothing, Id like to find some too. the other gentelmans is nice but not quite the same although useable for early advisor too.
hope I helped alittle :)
Paul

·
1:6 puppy
985 Posts
about the only people using 'frog skins'(ww2 spotted camo) in the 60s were marine recon units(they saved their stock after ww2 after the rest of the corps trashed their supply).the type seen most often are the comercial 'duck hunters' mentioned above(sears robuck was a main supplier).the french did use it in the 50s in south east asia before they came up with their own 'lizard stripe' camo..fore runner to tiger stripes.ultimate soldier was going to do a ARVN ranger in 'ducks'...but i dont know if it was ever released.the SOTW marine recon figure is a pretty good source...not great...but better than g.i. joe(sorry joe).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey MK-23
Your fine my friend, that pattern is very much like alot of the commercial patterns around at the time so it will totally work. I love your Dien Bien Phu para very nice!
id suggest finding some of the duckhunter cammo that was also posted its dead on for the USMC WWII pattern as well as the early Nam Special Forces advisor, early Recon on Okinawa and even Seal, or really any advisor from 1960-65 era.
But no you pattern is totally appropriate for early advisor.
sorry for the confusion,
paul

·
Lets Go Blues
2,971 Posts
No confusion at all Paul! I had a spare set of the uniform and was going to do an advisor and just was curious as if it were right or not. THanks for the info.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Paul or anyone else,

Here is another. This, I believe, was from the BBI USMC WWII figure Dusty Rhodes. It has been offered up on ebay as Beo Gam, but I believe it is USMC duck hunter. I realized I had this set tucked away in my WWII Allied bin and found it today. This is what I think is "frogskin." The shirt has the front "grenade pockets" denoted by the buttons on either side of the placket.

Is this set appropriate for maybe an early USMC adviser or USMC recon during the Vietnam era?

·
Registered
115 Posts
hey JTFAZZ
your correct Sir!!!!
yes this is WWII Marine NOT BEO GAMs
the easies distiction is USMC frog skin and Sears the patterns touch and overlap, true Beo Gam the pattern does not touch, each dot is a seperate little island and dont touch.
also Beo Gam are printed on a tan background and are never Herrigbone.
the pattern above is beautiful and would be fantastic for French paras in Indochina, early USMC Recon in the 50s and 60s as well as some Seals even had this early too. Id say it would be ok for early SF advisor circa 1960-63 too, again a beautiful little repro of the pattern, WOW!!

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
21C came out with a Duck pattern that mimic the ones used by Army Special Forces and some MACV personnel in the early period of the Vietnam War. From late 1950 to the early 1960s, American made spotted "duck-hunter" uniforms were purchased by the CIA for use by Strikers of from various Asian countries under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program (MDAP) funding. The duck-hunter pattern, intended for the marshlands, were ineffective in dense jungles that lacked dappled sunlight; however, they did well in the Mekong Delta. The uniforms I speak to are different from the ones the US Army used in W.W.II.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello stall Stuff

your right sir, but the Duckhunter purchased by the CIA early in the war, is different than the 64 pattern purchased by the CIA under MDAP known as Beo Gams.
thats all Im saying But I agree with your posting :)
I see you have some experience with this, and I recognize some of Mr. Shelby Stantons wordage in your post, good book!

all my best
paul

1 - 20 of 41 Posts