One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally able to put the Cayuse back out on the table after a few detail upgrades. Thanks to all the wonderful OSW folks who stopped by the Texas Great GI Joe Show (and Jim's Dad for taking a few pictures, as well as Jim and Thomas)! Had a super time...looking forward to the next one.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
^Ditto.

Very nice Cayuse, love the airbrushed panel detailing and weathering on it, as well as those excellent seats.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,121 Posts
Very nice. Love the interior work. Great job.

There are some great ref books on this heli, and some of the crews and missions. One of them is 'Low Level Hell" by Hugh L. Mills and Robert A. Anderson. And there is a great Squadron Signal Pub. book for modellers that has some amazing pics too. Usually the CAR-15 was strapped in between the pilots' seats, and there was a fire extinguisher where you have the CAR-15 right now. Some, but not all had armoured pilots seats, but only when they had 2 crew in them (like yours) for observation, because of the weight of the armour. The observer/gunner usually had a piece of 'Chicken plate' armour sewn into a pouch under the rear seat, to keep from taking AK rounds in the back/arse. Some times smoke grenades were hung on a piece of wire or rope for the gunner to toss out to mark positions for gunships, usually behind the pilots head.

This is my favorite heli, the OH-6 Cayuse, and all of the models that follow it too. Right up to the AH-6 and MH-6 Little Bird, and MD530. Just such a cool machine.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys

I appreciate all the comments....this has been a long labor of love. I too have a thing about the Cayuse and always wanted to do one justice, or as close as I could. The armor plating was usually attached to B and C model series 2 and 3 aircraft whereas this one is supposed to represent the A model series one. Because of that, I left the seat armor off and stayed with the lighter (and weaker engined) first models to appear in-country. The fire extinguisher...I broke...so I propped the KAR in the hole. Oh well, time to make a better one! The smoke grenades are actually stacked in a wooden ammo crate I was somewhat forced to build in the back deck to hide a "hump" in the floor I could not cut out. Since that hump occupied the lower half of the crate, I cut the grenades in half and glued them on top to help hide that ugly hump. Probably the two areas that required the most work were 1) the rear seats and 2) the cockpit dash. I had to build both totally from scratch and (many burned and cut fingers later) am pretty happy with the way they turned out.
Here's the dash...

and here's the crate...

·
Mobilis in mobili
690 Posts
Ouch! it's so cool, it hurts. hehe. Coz' I had plans to get one when that beautiful hunk of plastic was still around. That was like couple of years ago, now I can only dream...

I love the interior work, even the grenade crate rocks!

·
"Load clear!"
206 Posts
Extremely well done FW! The work you did on the pannel alone is amazing!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to All

I appreciate all the comments guys....

Darklighter...I'll take closeups of the "Chicken plate armor" tonight and try and post them by tomorrow. Both the pilot and gunner are wearing the early style of aircrew armor in keeping with the period I was trying to cover. The actual vests are from the long-gone Hasbro GI Joe Door Gunner figure that have been cleaned up alot, recontoured some for better fit, and weather a little. Not sure where you can find them now....I found these some 4 years ago.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts