One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
If you don't pay the price in money and sweat (and yes, sometimes lives) in training, you spend it later, in many lives. Short-sighted, greedy fools.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Sounds like the "fighter mafia" guys have all aged and been retired, and are now getting replaced by a new generation of "keyboard kommandoes". Simulator training will not replace actually getting in, strapping down, and flying like your life depends on it. Only makes sense if you plan on swapping out manned aircraft for UAVs / robo-fighters.... don't quite think we're there yet.

Interesting to note that Navy / Marine Corp aviation, though significantly smaller than the Air Force, have a total of 6 squadrons tasked with aggressor type training. Makes you think back to the birth of the "fighter mafia"... looks like the Navy still believes in mixin' it up and gunfighting, while the Air Force is moving back to it's pilots doing nothing more than transporting air to air ordnance to a launch point.

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the "fighter mafia" guys have all aged and been retired, and are now getting replaced by a new generation of "keyboard kommandoes". Simulator training will not replace actually getting in, strapping down, and flying like your life depends on it. Only makes sense if you plan on swapping out manned aircraft for UAVs / robo-fighters.... don't quite think we're there yet.

Interesting to note that Navy / Marine Corp aviation, though significantly smaller than the Air Force, have a total of 6 squadrons tasked with aggressor type training. Makes you think back to the birth of the "fighter mafia"... looks like the Navy still believes in mixin' it up and gunfighting, while the Air Force is moving back to it's pilots doing nothing more than transporting air to air ordnance to a launch point.
Man I tell ya, the US Air Force is committing another mistake and repeating
history! Col. John Boyd and his "Figther Mafia" are ancient history now and I guess
the USAF thinks it can rely upon BVR (Beyond Visual Range) tactics and never have
to engage inside a "phone booth knife fight" anymore. I believe they're DEAD WRONG!

Good for the Navy's mindset that their fighter jocks can and will still retain their
dog-fighting edge when it comes to 'mixin' it up and gunfighting'. I'd rather have
that skill rather than executing a 'fire and forget' missile on the enemy! Like the
Ex-Tomcat drivers would say: "ANYTIME BABY!"
:hifive :thumb

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
If you haven't read The Shadow World: Inside the Global Arms Trade by Andrew Feinstein, I highly recommend it as it gives great insight into the incredibly corrupt nature of the procurement process, and in particular just how deep the corruption runs in the aerospace industry. It gives some fascinating insight into the sort of malfeasance which causes financial pressures that result in stupid things like this happening.

·
Registered
981 Posts
They are very strapped for money nowadays, through all the services. I talked to MC guys that had parked their jets by August, because they didn't have any money left in the budget to fly the rest of the year. It's getting pretty ridiculous. Something has to give, and the aggressors were it. Plus, the pentagon guys are obsessed with UAVs. There's so many of them, you can't even keep the models straight anymore.

Also... Keep in mind that a good chunk of the aggressor stuff is done with contractors now. However, their syllabus does not really include serious dog-fighting. And they use jets that are not really equaling the best that's out there... Mainly Kfirs and A-4s.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Last week there was a report that RCAF personnel were in trouble for taking some equipment from a Hercules in a museum. Their aircraft are old, and parts procurement is a big problem. They have patches that say "Flying Yesterday's Aircraft Tomorrow". Drones are part of the answer to our defense needs, but not the whole answer.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it. The only thing I can add to this thread, is that I sincerely hope that the USAF will utilize some of the 6 Squadrons that the USN have for training purposes. That would be the only thing that I can think of that makes any real sense to me. If not....

·
Registered
981 Posts
Good book about aggressor stuff, is Red Eagles... All about the secret Russian aircraft kept at Tonopah back in the old days. That was back when they actually used the real thing.

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I will miss the good old days of RED FLAG!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts