One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
3,578 Posts
I've been Kit Carson for Cal State Parks for 20 years this December now. :lol

It's only been in the last few years that well-researched and available texts have been able to dissect the actual from the myth propagated by the pulp and dime novels starting with Fremont's creation of the first national celebrity.

Carson led a remarkable life when compared against any these days. However, when lined up with his contemporaries, he really was an unassuming guy who had a fairly common life that so many of his caliber made routine.

· Registered
1,319 Posts
And remember, Tejon is Spanish for Badger... the ranch, the fort, the area were all named for this voracious little creature. I live 20 miles from parts of Tejon ranch, and it's still beautiful country.

And Laughinggravy is Walloon for Tejon!

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've been Kit Carson for Cal State Parks for 20 years this December now. :lol
LG2, that is SO COOL!!! :hat After all this time seeing your stuff on multiple boards, I had no idea that you portray Kit Carson for California's State Park System! (That would explain something about how you know the Ft. Tejon Dragoon reenactors.) That's fantastic!

I don't know if you've read Blood and Thunder, but one thing I like about it is how it acknowledges the bigger-than-life folkhero status that Carson enjoyed in his own time. While praising Carson's admirable character and probable accomplishments, the author avoids conferring demi-god status on this genuinely venerable frontiersman.

Back to the thread topic for a moment. It would appear that Carson had a fairly favorable opinion of the US Dragoons, as far as military is concerned. At least that's the way Sides (the author) makes it sound.

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks, Grizzer!

And Graeylin, you indeed do live in a beautiful area...despite those pesky badgers (o debo decir "tejones")! ;) What were they going to name the fort at first? Someting like "Nueces de Uva"??? :lol Seriously, my daughter lived near Palmdale, and I love the area of northern LA County and Kern County!

· Registered
1,524 Posts
I'm a big admirer of your work. This is just another one of the many reasons why. Beautiful figure and enjoyable history brief.

Kat

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Grizzerr, here's one I'd done a few years ago - 8thTexasCav, I hope you would pardon me to highjack your thread :
Saint, I don't mind at all. I remember commenting on your Dragoon on another board and stating that I really wanted to put together a Dragoon myself. The shako on your Dragoon is an absolute masterpiece!!! Great work!

· Registered
4,420 Posts
I just wanted to come back for another look and to say a big "THANK YOU" for posting this. I am always interested in new bits of History. Been spending the morning doing searches on Ft. Tejon, Kern County, Central California and Southern California around the 1800 and 1900. Very interesting an rich history that I never learned in the 12 years I spent in the California public school system (aside from the 1849 Gold Rush, we were not taught much).

· Old Jarhead
516 Posts
I just wanted to come back for another look and to say a big "THANK YOU" for posting this. I am always interested in new bits of History. Been spending the morning doing searches on Ft. Tejon, Kern County, Central California and Southern California around the 1800 and 1900. Very interesting an rich history that I never learned in the 12 years I spent in the California public school system (aside from the 1849 Gold Rush, we were not taught much).
A great figure from a often forgotten time in American history. KneeJoint You would have enjoyed my California education. At the grade school I attended we had a Fort made out of old telephone poles and made powder horns from cow horns. They were right from the slaughter house. Some of us guys even made fake flint locks. The fort no longer stands (it was fifty tears ago :wail) The trees srounding it still stand and we all know the status of even a nail clipper in public schools these days. My Sixth grade teacher wrote a history of the town I grew up in and is still alive. She's the type you don't have that much in education these days. But the fort was a school thing and the entire school participated. And history of America and California were right up there with math and science.

· Registered
4,420 Posts
I had a teacher like that in Long Beach, back in 5th grade. Studying the American Revolution we built flint lock pistols - Wood plank, wood dowel, brass sheet, nails and a whole lot of sand paper - good times. I think the girls had to make wimples or something:b Yep, back in the 70's we made guns in class - we even pretended to *gasp* shoot each other.

Not wanting to go off topic. I found a great blog on the 1st. Dragoons at Ft. Tejon, spent the last couple of hours reading it (gotta love slow days at work) http://www.musketoon.com/index.html

I have some great California History sites book marked now.:thumb

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
KneeJoint and H34crewchief, as a middle school and high school U.S. History teacher, it does my heart good to read your comments. It's nice to get kudos for the figure, but it's really gratifying to see it kindle a spark of interest in what actually happened back then and there. Sounds like you enjoyed at least a couple of creative history teachers back in the day!

· Registered
4,420 Posts
I just re-read the entire thread to see how I missed that you are a teacher. I didn't miss it. I may not have enjoyed that much about school but I did enjoy History and English. As a surrogate for all my past history teachers I'd like to say, "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !"

That gents, is how you polish an apple (J/K):lol

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Kneejoint...Young man, go to the back of the room! Apple polishers! I can spot 'em a mile away. JK ;) Thanks again for the encouraging words.

FartofWar, thanks to you, too, sir. BTW, hilarious handle!

Kat Cole, the complement is much apppreciated. Your "Open Range" Costner figure is fantastic. Love the chaps and the hat!!!

LG2, do you have any suggestions on where I can get a good Colt Walker for my dragoon? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
3,578 Posts

LG2, do you have any suggestions on where I can get a good Colt Walker for my dragoon? Thanks in advance.
As far as I know, there haven't been any Walkers made. This is on my to-do list and I'll be making it from my 1/1.

If this fig were a Mex/Amer War fig, the only revolver you could go with would be the Paterson. One of the most graceful pieces ever built. And yet another on my list to build in 1/6 from my 1/1s.

I feel the period urge coming on, and will likely address these projects after WoH when I have more time (right now I am swamped with preparing for that). I will keep you in mind.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.