One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This figure has been on the drawing board for quite some time. Research on antebellum US Army topics in the West is tough, but enjoyable.

Following the US-Mexican War, the former Mexican provinces were not universally delighted to live under the American flag (to say the least). The threat of insurrection by Californios was ever-present. Furthermore, as American farmers and miners settled in California, there was constant friction between Native Americans and the new settlers. Five companies of US Dragoons were stationed in California to help maintain the peace. Fort Tejon in Kern County provided dragoons to patrol the Central Valley and spots as remote as the Mojave Desert. They were even sent on occasion to resolve problems in Los Angeles.

My US Dragoon is dressed for campaign duty. He wears the old 1839 forage cap. The shoulder scales have been removed from his shell jacket with its distinctve orange trim. Many US Dragoons in California adopted affectations popular among the Californios--earrings and leather "breed leggings" to cite a couple.

Belted holsters were not yet common among mounted U.S. troops. Until I can find an earlier dragoon model revolver, I have used BGT's Army Colt. The knife is a repainted Dog Soldier Viking knife with a leather strap added. The forage cap is my own custom work constructed from Victor Oerhn's Kriegsmarine cap. The breed leggings are scratchbuilt from leather.

Here's a close-up of the leggings.

And a different angle, showing the conchos.

My dragoon's shell jacket, shirt, carbine sling, saber, revolver, ammo box, and trousers are from BGT.
The saber belt, boots, and spurs are fromm SST.

Hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Smashing figure. The botas are especially well done.

I've known and participated with quite a few of the Tejon Dragoon bunch over the years. That place is as haunted as it gets.

Are you looking for a Walker, or one of the Dragoon models, specifically?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you very much for the kind comments, guys! It's very gratifying to get feedback from others who share a love for this hobby and for history.

You guys from California have some very cool stuff to enjoy in your state, in terms of natural beauty and historical interest. I've spent maybe ten weeks in California, broken up over various stays, and I have thoroughly enjoyed what I've seen. Being there helped inspire this figure.

In addition, I've been reading Blood and Thunder:The Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West by Hampton Sides. What a fascinating and descriptive read on this time period in the Old Southwest! Another bit of inspiration for the figure.

Gregory Urwin's The United States Cavalry: An Illustrated History also deserves mention. Good stuff!

Tony, I too have always loved this shell jacket. Did a 54mm US Dragoon figure 20 years ago, and still find it one of my favorites.

Well, thanks again for the comments, folks. You're too kind!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts