One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

US Army Ranger Cappy. First Pictures.

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  MicahParsons 
#1 ·
Hello all.

I actually wanted to contribute to this forum so here is my very first 1/6th figure Dragon US Army Ranger Cappy.

I'm going to base this on the Rangers that landed on Omaha Beach after being redirected from Pont Du Hoc.

As you can see this is just a test I've decided that I would use some of the box pictures for guidance and really get comfy putting on and removing kit hopefully working the boots in a little more. That was my objective to really get comfy to putting on the kit.

I plan so sow the ranger tab on later and possible the PFC rank depending how I feel I will find a picture for guidance I already have one which would be good for a project but so far starting small.

I plan to glue the M1 Garand together and then sow a few bits of kit especially in the webbing belt. I won't be putting the clips for the M1 Garand. I need to buy some smaller tweezers for putting the putting on the webbing back together.

I was abit lazy not really fitting the kit properly but hopefully I've made some progress from it even though I am not 100 percent happy that I got the kit 100 percent historically correct but this is something for later research.

Looking forward to any tips or advice.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
What's with his right hand....it should have the DML trigger finger on it......if you need one, let me know, because right now it looks like theose 1990's Hasbro GI Joe hands.....bleeeech!

I have a lot of spare pairs of matching DML hands with the trigger finger that I could part with......

#6 ·
You made a good start. It's a good looking figure. The gask mask bags were strapped around the waist*, with the upper strap over the shoulder and across the chest. Mostly tho, they were tossed.

The tough part (to me), is tightening up the leggings. Newer leggings by other outfits like Soldier Story seem to be better tailored, but members have done some fine fixes themselves..

*CORRECTION - Apparently the bags were also worn something like you have it, for landings, to leave the waist clear for the life belt. Yeesh, these guys were like pack mules, at first.

#7 ·
No need to use a hair dryer to change the hands.....you'll run the risk of melting the arms......I have owned 250 DML figures, and I have never had a problem popping any of the hands off using only my own fingers......just work carefully, gently pulling and twisting at the same time......

#8 ·
There are a few things I need to sow on such as the Rangers Insignia as well as a few bits of kit such as the webbing need sowing on.

And I have been stupid and taken his boots off so I need to figure out how to get his boots on again.

I also need to glue the M1 Garand it comes apart as stripping the rifle but I will glue it just as it stops me from pulling the rifle apart when i put my figure in for a pose.

The leggings were tricky to get on (well it involved getting the boots back on which was the tricky part so this figure you see posed only has his books half way on (he is technically on his tip toes).

I have put a few bits of kit in the wrong place (some parts not attached to the correct part). But it was a good experiment in putting some of the kit together as a complete newb.

But its true on Omaha Beach that many soldiers drowned due to the vast amount of kit they had to carry in. There were reports of equipment strewn across the beach which soldiers had just dumped.
But in comparison to their allied counterparts I think the Americans had some of the best kit around.

Does anyone reading this have pictures of their soldiers story ranger that they own would be grateful to see.

I must be rather crazy but this was the very first figure I saw that I really wanted. Cost a bomb to import from America but totally worth it (Although i did find a shop in England which sold it but it was a few weeks after I had ordered the figure). But I am really impressed with the quality of his kit. I mean there are a few things I would change such as some of the buttons on the kit to it is easier to close (I still have to fit the canteen into the canteen pouch). But overall this project has really given me a sense of yes this is a good hobby to pursue (I thought I was a little crazy at first for buying what could be perceived as a child's toy but boy was I wrong). Just interested in trying get some pictures around and about with Cappy that's the next thing.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link.

Question does anyone know where to get some other boots that would fit Cappy ? I was stupid enough to take them off Cappy and getting them off has been a job and half. Managed to get them off and I think it is safe to say I have made them look like they have been though Omaha Beach and back again with wrestling with them.

My small check list for things to look for.

White Vest.
M1 Garand (If I decide not to glue my current one)
US Army Issue Boots

OneSixth. Quick question I don't have the shooting hands. Wondered how much it would cost to buy them off you ? something for the future ?

#12 ·
No need to buy them from me.....send me your address by PM, and I will send you a pair for free.

As for the boots, try soaking them in very hot water for about 5 minutes, that should make them more pliable and softer to work back onto the foot. Don't worry about the inside being a bit moist, it won't hurt anything.

#13 ·
OneSixth

Your a total star thank you so much. I double checked and I only had the open palm type hands.

And cheers I will do this for the boots (Its rather like have real boots with all the working in you have to do)

Really enjoying both figures !

Cheers for the links too I was looking for rangers but of course I totally forget to type in the battles they fought in to find some pictures.

#15 ·
I will have a look out for for the M1 Garand (I do like the mood and mental versions of weapons more (But in the long run having either kit is pretty fantastic).

I must learn to put the kit on in the correct way though so gathering photos of others models to give me a bit of inspiration.

#23 ·
When I need to remove items like heads, hands, boots, etc. instead of using a blow dryer I use boiling water. I put the boiling water in a glass then put the part to be removed into the boiling water for a few seconds then pull the softened item off. Also helps when putting boots back on as well like jack boots

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.