One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TEMPORARILY :knock

It's all your fault. No, really. All of you. :mad
Your enthusiasm for the hobby and your active participation have made this site once referred to as a bathroom stall (well, ok it still is a bathroom stall LOL) and turned it into one of the largest and most active 1:6 boards ever!

Unfortunately as a result, we're having more growing pains, as our servers are busting at the seams. Connectivity to the site has been sporadic for some people over the last few weeks.

I've been told some immediate symptoms have been addressed, but not necessarily all the root causes (which will take some time).
So, how's connectivity for you all here lately? Good, tolerable, crappy?

Also, because we've grown in size and bandwidth by leaps and bounds over the last year (which in part creates some of the connectivity issues), tech is in the process of ordering another server for us, and hopefully any outstanding issues should be resolved in the order of about a week.

I have to caution though that during the move process there will be a period of approximately 12 hrs of not being able to post, but access to the site should not be interrrupted for individual members on average for more than perhaps an hour.

Thanks for your patience and understanding while we expand the facilities to accomodate the increased activity.

We'll let you know when to brace yourselves. Better stock up on emergency supplies, medications, and kitbashing materials to keep you occupied when the time comes. Heh.

UPDATE:

New base secured. Fortified as all heck. All OSW assets are being packed up and will be moved soon. We'll be the only ones in the network occupying the new base for the time being. We get to break it in.

If the move is compromised, we'll fall back to the current location until we remedy any situations that may arise over the weekend.

Since this is a new base, some non-standard facilities like chat and the beer machine may not function until they are rebuilt. Walls may need to be repainted from the issue blue and white to our current desert scheme.

Basic functionality should be intact soon after the migration. But anticipate problems for at least a week, while the kinks are worked out, legacy systems are upgraded, new construction occurs, and the finish trim is put in place.

And hey, the new cells are larger at a whopping 4'x4'. And plumbing.

UPDATE:
Just FYI. Comms from tech.

Monday:
Server ordered. 24 hr (maybe more) ETA on it - ordered couple extra GIGs of ram and SAS config with 100 mbps upload, so its not "off the shelf". ~9 Ghz worth of cores. :)

Then a day to set up firewalls and Apache the way I like it, and we'll be moving you late in the week.

php5/mysql5 on rhel5 - should all be backwards-compatable with your site DBs & scripting, but I figured I'd let ya know anyway. DON'T do any pre-move backups - I'll rsync or scp it and keep the old - as I'm not positive there's space on the old HD1 for a DB dump AND a tar of your whole site.

Tuesday:
Server procured, setup nearly complete. Can you answer the following to quicken and ensure the completion of the move: (wed/thur or thru/fri, hoping for the former).

Tuesday:
I'll most likely want a period of consolidation and watching as this is a new server, os, and versions of mysql and php. But yea - keeping in mind that any modules need special attention if you want them kept. Can you look into that? This will be my first upgrade involving php and MySQL5.

Tuesday:
I'd plan on doing the move in the evening as the local DNS nameserver waits to rotate. Old site systems off, new site systems on.

So any issues will be revealed in the early am. They HOPEFULLY will mostly involve group permissions, cgis, absolute paths, etc. Particularly any in VBulletin.

Wednesday:
BTW - it can be tomorrow IF I get apf and LMF up and working and find no incompatabilites as I set up phpmyadmin, etc. This server is cutting edge, but not bleeding edge, so it should just be a question of any learning curve on my end. If I had to place a bet tho I'd bet on Thurs/Fri.

Wednesday:
All set to shut off the systems at zero hour, which i'm not sure exactly will be. (Won't be now - too much load on the servers and I'm exhausted.) I'm shooting for tonight poss/prob. Though I think I'm going to escape for a while. And BTW will you be available in the AM to help mop up any issues? In which case if Fri AM is better that's fine (remember I can always switch the DNS back if we have a total blowout). LMK, but other than that I'm off for a bit, I hope.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I have not had any problems to date; everything has been great!! I come up on the site each time I get off work to get my daily fix.(lol)!!! :knock

·
Banned
4,284 Posts
RS,

Don't even dare to shut us down, we will track you down and revenge:)

That said, it's good to hear you guys are upgrading. While I can't really complain with accesability of the server, I did notice that sometimes it take a bit long to initially get on the forum.

Alexei

·
What should I bash today?
4,267 Posts
I had problems connecting for abt an hour this morning, but it seems fine now... Erratic performance over here in Singapore, Southeast Asia. Fast connection one instance, can't connect another time... Thanx for the advance notice... cos my heart may not be able to take the sudden news! :X

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
I had a little hiccup a few days ago,but other than that,it's primo!

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
I've already begun hyperventilating and my anxiety, stress, and heartrate have increased as well. I can only cringe at the thought of withdrawl symptoms setting in any moment now.. the jitters, feeling cold and hot at the same time.. [increased level of] paranoia... oi!

P.S. The title scared the bejeezus out of me @[email protected]

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
I have had a good connectivity experience here in the southeast. But I do know growing pains happen... and its a good thing. You guys do an absolutely bang-up job with this forum and from experience, I know its not easy creating and maintaining something like this at the level of quality you do here.

·
buyer of all cool stuff..
281 Posts
No problems connecting from Maryland.
I will have to take the necessary precautions listed so i do not suffer withdrawal during the outage! :lol

Thanks for keeping us posted,
SoF :ar15

1 - 20 of 62 Posts