One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Good Enough Never Is
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just sold my brother's (goes by the name Kyodai on onesxith) Ani-Com Hong Kong Exclusive Scar Predator on evilBay. Though I didn't get as much as we were hoping, nor as much as I've seen it sell for on eBay, we did get a pretty good price for it: almost $600. My brother had originally gotten it for the supposed extra shiny helmet it was to come with, but when he got it, it just looked sort of smokey gray. Unfortunately we didn't take pictures of it back when it first came out, so I can't show you what I mean.

{UPDATED PICS} Thanks to a new eBay auction for another Ani-Com Scar, I guess I can show you what I mean. It's not mine, but here's the link if you want to pay over $830 for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HK-Ani-com-SCAR...ms=39:1|66:3|65:10&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

The pics actually make it look a little better, but you can still see the obvious difference.

{We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming}

Disappointed and already having a Scar, my brother used only the helmet which he made more silvery with the paint from a silver paint pen. The exclusive head he sold to me for $25 for use on a custom Ancient "Young Elder" I did.

Fast forward a couple years: As soon as Hot Toys announced the release of the 1/6 Batman Tumbler, Batpod, Joker, and two newly produced Batmans, my brother knew he had to sell off his AVP stuff to make money and room for what he considered more important. I listed the Ani-Com figure as mint in box, which it mostly was except for the helmet and head, but made the bidders aware of the additions I had made to the head which included repainted P1 style eyes and repainted (black) facial quills. The helmet I said nothing about with the intention of stripping off my brother's silver paint job, hoping the original factory finish would survive, or I would have to give it my own repaint.

As I began to strip it my brother's paint and the smokey gray finish both came off to reveal what we had originally expected the helmet to be in the first place. It was chrome plated in the same way as the gauntlet blades and the open shuriken. Hot Toys never ceases to amaze me with what great stuff you can find and figure out if you mess with the stuff long enough. Check out this finish. This is what the production photos showed. Why didn't they leave it like this?

Look at how well it reflects the blue in my shirt.

The inside is like a mirror.

This shot is a little blury, but you can see just how different the helmet looks next to the rest of the armor. That's probably why Hot Toys chose to give it that second coat that ended up being such a let down.

I'm not saying either is better than the other, I wouldn't be totally happy with either of them and even painted my regular Scar Helmet myself, but if you are among the 200 that happen to have one of these and want to strip your helmet down to this finish, all I used was airbrush thinner and a lot of Q-tips. Be careful not to get too vigurous with the scrubbing because that chrome isn't extremely well bonded to the plastic and will chip off. I had to retouch tiny little black spots mostly around sharp edges to hide the black plastic underneath.

·
Plastic anonymous
213 Posts
darn it dude! I have the same helmet and bid on yours because i wanted the darn smoky grey :fit

strange isn't it. Anyway i didn't win. I hope your buyer won't get upset with the current look of the helmet.

Will take pics when i get home.

·
Yeeah boyee!!!
691 Posts
Man that is incredible! It's just like that extra detail you had uncovered inside the AVP Predator's gauntlet, under it's bomb. Hot Toys raises the bar again!
Lucky buyer, hell if he complains about it at all and wants a refund, look me up!

·
Registered
13 Posts
darn it dude! I have the same helmet and bid on yours because i wanted the darn smoky grey :fit

strange isn't it. Anyway i didn't win. I hope your buyer won't get upset with the current look of the helmet.

Will take pics when i get home.
"Smokey grey" kind of makes it sound cool, and it wasn't. The thing looked damn near flat primer colored on the outside. "Guys, did you remember to finish painting my helmet?". Extra-shiny, like that, is how it looks in the movie. It's the most reflective of the Predator helmets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.