One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, since jumping into the VN genre with my Kenn Miller figs this summer, I figured my boys would need a ride.

This is a mostly-wood construction.

I tweaked the dimensions mostly across the fuselage because plastic figures don't compress the way real bodies do and I wanted to be able to fit a proper amount of troops without things looking underscaled. There has been just over 1 inch added to the width.

There weren't any plans available to me, but I found some small line drawings online which I shot onto a roll of parcel paper for my basic measurements and proportions (although the particular model was later than the one I was building).

I started with a basic box shape. Top and bottom are 1/4" plywood and sides are doorskin (very thin laminate paneling) to allow bends and curves.

This is the bottom. Since my drawings were 2D, I had to make my sidepanels to the profile of the finished dimensions. Thus, the slight curvature of the top and especially bottom of the hull have to be added during construction. The wooden baffling strips follow the same outline as the panels. These are used to shape and bend more doorskin over for the curve underneath the hull. The panels are then trimmed to their proper dimensions.

Result. Notice that guides are in place on the side of the hull to guide the contouring that comes next.

These are the before seen guides shaping the contour of the cardstock I will then cover in Bondo.

More to come........

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is all that tape and cardstock Bondo-ed over to get the outer contour of the hull.

After shaping, to strengthen and tie things in I fiberglassed what I'd just done. As the weight added up, my thin doorskin needed to be reinforced this way. This was all in the plans already, so no worries.

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On to the cockpit area.

The nose was going to be the biggest hurdle. I didn't have any direct angle shots of it, only odd angles.

I started with a bunch of balled-up newspaper taped together into a basic base shape. Covered this with modelling clay to further achieve the shape. Then, proceeded with my favorite modelling stuff; Bondo.

All this weight wasn't going to work out, so I plan (ned) on making a mold of the nose itself and casting it to reduce weight. More on that later in the project.

Very rough slathering stage of Bondo over clay.

Now, a huge jump in the process to the framed-out cockpit and finished nose.

These two last pics were taken today to show size relations.

Well, that's it for now. Still a ton of work left on it. It's not perfect, but I can live with it so far.

Eventually, I'll make a fiberglass mold of this and then cast fiberglass copies to keep them light and manageable.

The tail boom will be detachable for more ease of handling.

Thanks for looking.

· OSW Pug Warrior
5,375 Posts
My first reaction on seeing the first photo was - how does that thing stay on when he's driving it around town. Does he pretend he's flying one? Heh heh ;)

My next reaction was incredulousness and humility. That is :eekNE HELLUVA SCRATCHBUILD! :::fainting:::

Medic/Michael, you crack me up! LOL! :D

· Lets Go Blues
2,979 Posts
Wow LG, this is one of the best custom jobs in 1/6 Ive seen. Ive seen some amazing stuff, but a 1/6 Huey built from the ground up, thats some skill. I CAN NOT wait to see how this ends up. Keep us updated on it man!

· I've been Minimoyzed
14,304 Posts
-Comments added while Ride of the Valkries plays in background-

That is a huge B model you got going on there. Great looking huey Armand. Oh, just remember....Charlie don't surf. :grinroll

· Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,008 Posts
Oh dude.... LG! I would of been easier with Balsa and Hobby Plywood for your UH-1. Oh man! I see how heavy that sucker is going to be. OH MY GOD!!

Plus, I am jealousy.... Just a little. Yeh, I'm jealousy.

· Welcome to my Life....
1,000 Posts
Lg man that is sweet, you make the coolest stuff, cant wait to see this bad boy finished.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.